Set Up Events
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 09m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/26
Pre-race routine:

We dropped of Zoe at the kennel on Friday morning and headed up to Lake Logan. We arrived, drove part of the course (I wanted a Stamey Cove refresher and I wanted to look at the section Queenstown/Kims Cove section as well), and then went to packet pickup. After that we checked into our hotel in Waynesville and had some dinner before heading to bed early.

After checking in to the hotel, we had dinner at Boojum on Main. Then we went back to the hotel.

Set the alarm for 4:30 with the intention of leaving the hotel, the hotel by 5:00. (We actually left at 5:05 so we were close.) Set out my breakfast and gear for the morning and chillaxed for the evening.

Breakfast: Bagel with peanut butter, banana, ensure, water with camelbak elixir, a little cold brew coffee

We left the hotel at about 5:05 and arrive on site at 5:32. Parking was already getting congested. The RD wanted us on site by 5:45 due to the narrow roads getting in. The first wave started at 7:00. My wave was last to go at 7:15.

It was about 70 degrees at the race start and about 82 when we finished. The water temperature was 74 (much cooler under the bridge).

Event warmup:

Set up transition

Walked to swim start with Kevin, handed him my shoes and got into the water for a brief warm up

It was about 62 degrees at the race start and about 76 when we finished. The water temperature was 73 (10 degrees cooler under the bridge).
Swim
  • 47m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is a beautiful lake to swim in.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work on my swimming
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Bike
  • 3h 19m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I had one, 2.5 servings of Infinit, 3 bottles of water. I also had 1.5 sleeves of Clif Shot Bloks - 1 block every 20 minutes.

Shady Walnut sign with a bear on it, then steep section of Stamey Cove.

This bike course is no joke.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Run
  • 1h 56m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. Off the bike and across the bridge to a gradual uphill for 3.2 miles.

After the turnaround, downhill for 3.2 miles, a loop around the field (past the finish line!), then back up the hill and back down to finish!

Nutrition: Gel every 3 miles (3,6 & 9) - (2x Clif Shot gel, citrus with 25 mg caffeine and 1x Razz with no caffeine (race did not provide gets. I carried my own)

The run course was slightly short, according to my watch.
Post race
Warm down:

Kevin met me at the finish line. We walked over to the picnic tables for food, got something to drink. They had some wraps and stuff at the finish area. I tried to eat something. Visited with someTTC club members and other people that we knew and then we headed to Asheville.

Event comments:

I love this venue and look forward to returning in the future!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-12-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:51 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/26
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Rectangular course that goes clockwise with only two turns. Straight from the dock to the first yellow buoy then right to the next yellow buoy then right and swim under the bridge to the floating dock and dry land
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:19:36 | 56 miles | 16.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/26
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Figure 8 shaped course. We went out on Lake Logan road and made a counter clockwise loop, returning on Lake Logan road. The first and last 2 miles had a steepish hill. With another longer, steeper hill on Stamey Cover Road near mile 40. The rest of the course had some rollers as well as some grinders that make this Half course slower than the Olympic course. (Note that this is not the same course that was used in 2014. They found additional miles -- and hills -- to make it the full 56 miles.)
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:09 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/26
Performance:
Course: The transition area is by the lake. From there the course is a gradual uphill to the Sunburst Campground is a primitive campground nestled between Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness within Pisgah National Forest. Then, after 3.1 miles turnaround and go down the hill. We did a loop in a field near the transition area and then did a second lap on the road. The road is mostly shaded. Newcomers to the venue will want to take note that the course goes by a firing range so hearing gunshots is not unusual.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?