Other Resources The Political Joe » Vegas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2017-10-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Vegas

This is a country with nearly (or maybe now more, I haven't looked lately) 500,000,000 guns.......repeat that out loud so you make yourself damn sure that you understand that we aren't rounding up 500,000,000 guns.  Anyone who even considers that needs to be medicated......there is simply NO WAY.  Like it or hate it, that horse has left the barn and isn't coming back. I have no idea what the solution is, but we should move past the idea of rounding them up and work on ideas that might be reasonable.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-10-04 8:13 PM

2017-10-05 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I think that the extremes: Ban ALL firearms vs anything goes (the NRA position) is not where to start this conversation. There are some provisions that just make sense, like, why can those on terrorist watch lists legally purchase guns? These bump fire stocks and other gizmos that, in essence, make semi autos operate in an automatic fire fashion need to be illegal and any firearm equipped with them needs to be illegal. Beyond this, I personally see no reason for high capacity magazines, and have never heard any good arguments other than the NRA default "slippery slope" position.

I think much can be done that 90% of americans agree with, we just need some backbone in DC.

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-10-05 9:10 AM
2017-10-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Absolutely.  I could get behind any of that.  I'm not an NRA member because I think the slippery slope idea is a dumb one.  Just fyi - you don't need make a firearm with a bump stock illegal.  making the bump stock illegal will cover it.  I can put one on or take it off in a matter of very few minutes, then the gun is legal again.  The bump stock does NOTHING to the firing mechanism and the gun doesn't need to be modified in any way.  I'm ready to pull my hair out from what the "gun experts" keep feeding the media, or maybe it's how the media, which knows NOTHING about guns, keeps trying to interpret what they hear.

Last night I listened to a talking head go on and on about how this is all a cover up because the effective range of a .223 round is only 2-300 yards.....and the interviewer was eating it up.  I wanted to call in and invite either of them to hand me a .223 rifle and then go dance around at 2-300 yards to see if I could hit them......there is just so much stupidity that gets said when these discussions start that there is little wonder it all goes nowhere.

2017-10-05 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
This may be a battle that the NRA doesn't need to fight, this from a manufacturer of bump stocks:

"We have decided to temporarily suspend taking new orders"

Although I will tell you that there are a number of wonderfully entrepreneurial 2nd amendment lovers that have bump stocks on gun broker for $500 now.
2017-10-05 10:14 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy This may be a battle that the NRA doesn't need to fight, this from a manufacturer of bump stocks: "We have decided to temporarily suspend taking new orders" Although I will tell you that there are a number of wonderfully entrepreneurial 2nd amendment lovers that have bump stocks on gun broker for $500 now.

Yeah, I haven't talked to a single gun owner who hasn't agreed they should be banned.......and most of us have shot them or own one.  It's fun to shoot a rifle with a bump stock, and I'm afraid most of us never really looked at the idea of what a person motivated to kill people could do with them.....because we don't have that motivation at any level.  As I said above, guns have always been in my life and a part of my heritage......killing people will never be.  I'm for banning bump fire stocks, also sometimes called side fire stocks,  which really should have never been legal.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-10-05 10:16 AM
2017-10-05 10:30 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Oysterboy This may be a battle that the NRA doesn't need to fight, this from a manufacturer of bump stocks: "We have decided to temporarily suspend taking new orders" Although I will tell you that there are a number of wonderfully entrepreneurial 2nd amendment lovers that have bump stocks on gun broker for $500 now.

Yeah, I haven't talked to a single gun owner who hasn't agreed they should be banned.......and most of us have shot them or own one.  It's fun to shoot a rifle with a bump stock, and I'm afraid most of us never really looked at the idea of what a person motivated to kill people could do with them.....because we don't have that motivation at any level.  As I said above, guns have always been in my life and a part of my heritage......killing people will never be.  I'm for banning bump fire stocks, also sometimes called side fire stocks,  which really should have never been legal.

I’m with you on bump stocks.  Obama should have never allowed them in the first place (see what I did there?)

2017-10-05 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I see the democrats are proposing a bill to ban the bump stock. I also see Paul Ryan has stated it is a subject that needs looking into. Hopefully both parties can come together and write a bill that bans the bump stock. It could easily be done today and would receive support from an overwhelming majority of the American populace. Unfortunately what we will probably see is a bill from democrats banning the bumpstock and several other gun control measures 'mixed' in that the Rinos won't support. Then the Rinos will introduce a bill banning the bumpstock that also repeals obamacare and funds the wall. Stalemate and we the people lose again.

Edited by mdg2003 2017-10-05 10:53 AM
2017-10-05 10:37 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

I’m with you on bump stocks.  Obama should have never allowed them in the first place (see what I did there?)

They were okayed to give people with limited mobility the ability to shoot. About one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard in my life. So if you're handicapped to some extent, you need the ability to go full auto? Where's the outrage aimed at the obama admin? If this had passed under the W or any repub. admin, it would be front center on CNNMSNBCCBSABC. Not a peep. Hypocrisy much?
2017-10-05 12:28 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by mdg2003

They were okayed to give people with limited mobility the ability to shoot. About one of the dumbest excuses I've ever heard in my life. So if you're handicapped to some extent, you need the ability to go full auto? Where's the outrage aimed at the obama admin? If this had passed under the W or any repub. admin, it would be front center on CNNMSNBCCBSABC. Not a peep. Hypocrisy much?

No sure I'm getting you here. These bump stock gizmos, as lefty pointed out, do not modify the firing action of the rifle, so therefore are legal. I don't think that Obama or anyone else in gov't would have had to actively pass or condone this device. The default is that there is no new laws outlawing anything.
2017-10-05 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Left Brain It's fun to shoot a rifle with a bump stock

Yes, but certainly not cheap. How much .308 or .223 ammo go for nowadays Lefty?
2017-10-05 12:53 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by Left Brain It's fun to shoot a rifle with a bump stock
Yes, but certainly not cheap. How much .308 or .223 ammo go for nowadays Lefty?

Not positive on .308. (but a lot more than .223 costs) We load our own .223 rounds for .18 cents each.  I think about the cheapest I've seen retail is .26 which was 55 gr. jacketed and steel cases.....so not really great stuff.  But yeah, even at .18 in a 30 rd. magazine that's close to $6.00 in about 3 seconds of fun. 

On another note, the more I read from the media in the Vegas case the more I feel like a menace to society. LMAO   Now they're going on and on about the "nearly 1600 rounds he had in his car"...........We make about 3000 rounds when we have a "loading day" and I know at least once we had over 30,000 rounds built up, and I'm not mad at anyone. 

Edited by Left Brain 2017-10-05 12:57 PM

2017-10-05 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
You need ammo to convince yourself you are a menace to society? Jeez, bet none of us ever looked in the trunk of your car yet are quite sure you are a menace to something...

I remember a few years ago when I was shoot A LOT prior to some competitions, I would drive out to the skeet field with 3 pickle buckets of 12 and 20Ga shells. Then I found triathlon, now I don't have nearly that much ammo.
2017-10-05 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/

NRA cedes a point. Wonder how this will go over with members?
2017-10-05 2:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy You need ammo to convince yourself you are a menace to society? Jeez, bet none of us ever looked in the trunk of your car yet are quite sure you are a menace to something... I remember a few years ago when I was shoot A LOT prior to some competitions, I would drive out to the skeet field with 3 pickle buckets of 12 and 20Ga shells. Then I found triathlon, now I don't have nearly that much ammo.

I remember going to high school, after hunting in the morning, with a shotgun in the window rack of my pickup truck and openly moving it to someone's trunk. I remember having a shotgun in my college dorm room, in Iowa, when pheasant season started.  Sometimes, I think those memories are from another, alternate, life I lived.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-10-05 2:22 PM
2017-10-05 2:10 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

No sure I'm getting you here. These bump stock gizmos, as lefty pointed out, do not modify the firing action of the rifle, so therefore are legal. I don't think that Obama or anyone else in gov't would have had to actively pass or condone this device. The default is that there is no new laws outlawing anything.

Sorry, I should clarify. Bump stocks were deemed subject to regulation in 2005. In 2010 the ATF determined the device was not illegal. Mr obama certainly could have intervened and should have intervened to keep the device subject to regulation as it was done under the W admin. Not sure how this one slipped under the anti 2A democrat radar. Maybe because the NRA had nothing to do with the reversal of the regulations, they weren't looking when it happened? But the blame for Vegas is being hung around the neck of the NRA because they want to change silencer regulations ( per hillary) and the obedient media is running the narrative.
2017-10-05 3:45 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by Oysterboy You need ammo to convince yourself you are a menace to society? Jeez, bet none of us ever looked in the trunk of your car yet are quite sure you are a menace to something... I remember a few years ago when I was shoot A LOT prior to some competitions, I would drive out to the skeet field with 3 pickle buckets of 12 and 20Ga shells. Then I found triathlon, now I don't have nearly that much ammo.

I remember going to high school, after hunting in the morning, with a shotgun in the window rack of my pickup truck and openly moving it to someone's trunk. I remember having a shotgun in my college dorm room, in Iowa, when pheasant season started.  Sometimes, I think those memories are from another, alternate, life I lived.

My HS was the same. All the pick ups had a gun rack. If there wasn't a gun in the rack, there was probably an axe handle instead. We had a pretty big FFA program too. Everyone of those guys carried the biggest Buck knife they could afford on their belt. I never saw or heard of any problems with knives, guns or axe handles the whole 4 years. The only time I ever saw blood drawn was when some of our dumbazs football players decided to pick on a little black guy, 4 on1. That guy whipped out his fro pick and nailed one of them on top of the head, game over. He gained some major status points with that move and put a lot of racial tension to bed at the same time.

Edited by mdg2003 2017-10-05 3:47 PM

2017-10-05 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy I think that the extremes: Ban ALL firearms vs anything goes (the NRA position) is not where to start this conversation. There are some provisions that just make sense, like, why can those on terrorist watch lists legally purchase guns? These bump fire stocks and other gizmos that, in essence, make semi autos operate in an automatic fire fashion need to be illegal and any firearm equipped with them needs to be illegal. Beyond this, I personally see no reason for high capacity magazines, and have never heard any good arguments other than the NRA default "slippery slope" position. I think much can be done that 90% of americans agree with, we just need some backbone in DC.

In spirit I get where you're coming from, but there's one challenge with the terror watch list and banning of firearms.  With a constitutional right there has to be due process involved before it can be removed.  Things such as having a felony conviction are a result of you being able to defend yourself in the criminal justice system and if unsuccessful you then lose your right to own firearms.
With the terror watch list it's an administrative list that isn't even public where people are placed on it for all kinds of reasons and many of them are bogus.  For example you could be put on it for shopping for pressure cookers at an Iranian ebay store and have no clue.  Then when you go to purchase a gun you're just denied and have no clue why.
The other issue is that once you're placed on the list there is no due process method for you to be removed.  You're simply on it until they decide to take you off it.

In spirit I'm with you that people on a terrorist watch list shouldn't be allowed to legally purchase firearms, but there are big problems with the terrorist watch list itself that leave me opposing it.

2017-10-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy I think that the extremes: Ban ALL firearms vs anything goes (the NRA position) is not where to start this conversation. There are some provisions that just make sense, like, why can those on terrorist watch lists legally purchase guns? These bump fire stocks and other gizmos that, in essence, make semi autos operate in an automatic fire fashion need to be illegal and any firearm equipped with them needs to be illegal. Beyond this, I personally see no reason for high capacity magazines, and have never heard any good arguments other than the NRA default "slippery slope" position. I think much can be done that 90% of americans agree with, we just need some backbone in DC.

For example you could be put on it for shopping for pressure cookers at an Iranian ebay store

Welp, that's the end of my gun buying days.

2017-10-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My HS was the same. All the pick ups had a gun rack. If there wasn't a gun in the rack, there was probably an axe handle instead. We had a pretty big FFA program too. Everyone of those guys carried the biggest Buck knife they could afford on their belt. I never saw or heard of any problems with knives, guns or axe handles the whole 4 years. The only time I ever saw blood drawn was when some of our dumbazs football players decided to pick on a little black guy, 4 on1. That guy whipped out his fro pick and nailed one of them on top of the head, game over. He gained some major status points with that move and put a lot of racial tension to bed at the same time.

Kids aren't allowed to fight anymore, so they don't get to learn those worldly lessons.  They just give them a trophy and force everyone to accept everyone for who they are.
It's truly child abuse to allow somebody to be an idiot throughout their childhood and then send them out into the real world expecting everyone to be "tolerant" of their moronic behavior.  They need to get their donkey kicked a time or two to grow up and be a contributing member of society. 
I was bullied a lot when I was younger and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I even became good friends with a few of the guys after we had some good fights and I stood up for myself.  That doesn't happen anymore.

2017-10-05 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

For example you could be put on it for shopping for pressure cookers at an Iranian ebay store

lol, ok maybe a dumb example but you get the idea.  I'm pretty sure you and I are both on the list anyways for posting in The Political Joe

2017-10-05 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Jeez lefty, you posted a picture of the camo scatter gun you use for doves, the one with the duct tape on it. You badly need another gun, sorry.

2017-10-05 4:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Jeez lefty, you posted a picture of the camo scatter gun you use for doves, the one with the duct tape on it. You badly need another gun, sorry.

I heard he was duck hunting with a bump stock on his shotgun. 

2017-10-05 5:33 PM

User image

Pro

No man, that was my duck gun. When I shoot doves it's an over/under... that's a "gentlemen's shoot", ya know?  One day I'll tell you the story of when I was in my 20's and guiding a duck hunt for these rich guys down in southeast, Mo. The pit was crowded and these old guys all had top of the line over/under shotguns and they whined non stop about being crowded. I got aggravated at their whining over it. One of them asked me, in a really snobby tone, if I could move my gun to give them more room. I said, sure, and gabbed it off the pit wall rack and threw it about 25 feet out into the flooded rice field. The whining stopped and they sat holding their guns the rest of the day. HAHAHA!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2017-10-05 5:37 PM
2017-10-06 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

You need ammo to convince yourself you are a menace to society? Jeez, bet none of us ever looked in the trunk of your car yet are quite sure you are a menace to something...

I remember a few years ago when I was shoot A LOT prior to some competitions, I would drive out to the skeet field with 3 pickle buckets of 12 and 20Ga shells. Then I found triathlon, now I don't have nearly that much ammo.

I used to shoot with friends on Monday mornings at a local range back in the 90s. I had a 9mm Taurus pistol and a .22 Beretta. That was my arsenal. I had 3 - 15 round mags for the Taurus. So I could go through 47 rounds, reload twice during each range session. I would typically blow through 250-300 rounds a week, so buying commercial ammo was expensive. I found a reloaded ammo seller at a gun show and would buy 1000 rounds from him at a time. Seems like every time I was buying the ammo or lugging it back to my car, I'd pass someone who would ask me if i was starting a war or planning to go postal. I didn't consider myself a gun nut nor did I ever consider it odd to be buying that much ammo. I was just saving myself a lot of money.
2017-10-07 12:19 AM

User image

Pro

Guns are never going to be the problem.  You can take 99%+ of  gun owners and have them trade their guns in for nuclear bombs....a one for one trade, and you will be in no more danger than you are now. 

On the other hand, you can't give that other -!% a butter knife and be safe. 

It's a hard truth, but it's the truth nonetheless. 

That being the case, the answer is figuring out how to identify and control that -1%. 

My guys did a search warrant this afternoon on a convicted felon.  It resulted in a half lb. of meth, 15 handguns, and 6 rifles.  That guy is walking the streets tonight.  See the problem?  Do you REALLY care? .....or do you just want to feel better?  I can tell you what needs to be fixed....do you have the stomach for it, or do you just want to whine about guns because you don't know anything about them and it's a convenient target for your ignorance?  Some of this is so easy that it disgusts me that I have to listen to idiots. Truly.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-10-07 12:47 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Vegas Rss Feed  

of 3