General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot foot? Anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-03 11:40 AM

Subject: Hot foot? Anyone?
Anyone with any experience with hot foot while/after riding? (due to pressure on the nerves on the ball of the foot and they result in firing off like lava on the ball of the foot). Even more, particular...does anyone have any experience with mitigating it?
Did 100 a few weeks ago in hot weather. REALLY brutal hot foot. Scale 1-10 it was a 9.5
Hoping that it was heat/swelling compounding it.

Did 70 last weekend in cooler weather, a little less hammering, and loosened up the shoes a bit.
Scale of 1-10, it was probably a 4.

Both on the right foot. Never had the problem before. Only other time I experienced this was after a long ride on a different bike with different pedals/cleats/shoes with a hurried switch out of cleats...and that was on the left foot. And, I was using socks I don't normally use. Counting it as an outlier.

I'm moving back my cleats as far as they'll go, hoping that doesn't throw my seat height out of whack, I didn't have room to move them much. Hope it works. Going 50 this weekend.

Seems like the other advice is:
-loosen the shoe/strap/Velcro.
-inserts with a button right around the ball of the foot (tried this with regular shoes once when I was having an issue. Drove me nuts)
-stop, take a break, remove shoes (kinda hard to do in a race setting)
-back off on high gear and increase cadence and limit hills (again, you can't pick the course in a race)
-buy wider shoes (can't justify another $300 for shoes)
-buy different pedals (see above)
-have a shoe repair shop stretch the toe box out....the shoes I have aren't very restrictive, they're not leather/pleather/plastic road shoes, they're the canvass-y kind

Compounding this is short notice. I may or may not be doing a longer race in just under 2 weeks. I'm hoping volume which is easing up....(some might even say the volume is 'tapering' off) was a contributor. I'm hoping heat was a contributor. I'm hoping moving cleats and an even further looser fit will improve. I can loosen more than I did the other day....I went "halfway" to what I thought was loosening, worried that I'd slide too much and create blister problems. No problems, so I can loosen more.

Also, I've got some roll-on Lidocaine that could go in my jersey pocket....or....may or may not go in my T2 bag.

At this point, I will entertain any advice....and even "thoughts and prayers" if you want to send those too.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-10-03 11:41 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot foot? Anyone? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Too hot to swim?

Started by runtim23
Views: 830 Posts: 8

2017-08-19 9:16 PM NeilsWheel

Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 995 Posts: 5

2017-07-15 7:56 PM Hot Runner

odd foot injury

Started by fnfiacco
Views: 1038 Posts: 1

2016-10-08 10:11 AM fnfiacco

foot tattoo and run/bike

Started by meggfishy
Views: 4141 Posts: 6

2017-03-09 3:28 PM joyfulcricket

Hot tub Stretching