General Discussion Race Reports! » Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chase, Maryland
United States
Elite Race Management
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 32s
Overall Rank = 1/106
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

I decided to go on a date Friday night but told him I needed to be home by 10. Didn't get home until 11 so I was a bit anxious about not getting as much sleep as I'd hoped. I had already packed my stuff though so went straight to bed. Woke up at 6am to get ready and finish packing. When I got to the park I went to the Bike Doctor tent so they could pump up my tires and then went to set up transition. Had some friends doing the race so I chatted with them and met some new people. Ate my breakfast (overnight oats and a Kind bar) and drank some water
Event warmup:

I jogged to the bathroom and back. Otherwise I didn't really warm up. I always use the swim as my warmup.
Swim
  • 14m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt good on the swim. Got out with the lead people and stuck to them for a bit before getting into a rhythm. It was a clear, sunny day so sighting was much easier than it has been in the past. I was debating on wearing my wetsuit but ended up forgetting it at home, so that made that decision easy :-) I'm glad I didn't though because it would've just added time onto my transition.
What would you do differently?:

I stood up and ran to get out too soon. Definitely slowed me down. I felt the bottom so stood up but definitely could've swam further and dropped a few seconds. I also should've trained a little more. Twice a week would've probably made a pretty big difference for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I knew I had to make up time in transition, although I'm surprised it was as long as it was. We did have to run through grass to get to transition so I sat down to get the grass off my feet with a towel. I ended up catching up to people who beat me in the swim.

Might've just put my shoes on without completely drying my feet to save time.
Bike
  • 42m 42s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

To start I hung on to one girl for as long as I could. After that there were people here and there but mostly I was by myself. At the end a girl caught up to me and we took turns passing each other. She would slow down so I would go and vice versa. Finally lost here right before getting back to the park but she caught up with me right before transition. She said she liked riding with me b/c we had a similar pace, which I agreed with. She kind of stayed next to me though which made the last turn to transition awkward.

My shifting wasn't great because my legs were pretty dead. I think I was in a very low gear for most of the race haha. I think this is the fastest I ever biked this course though so I feel very good about that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I was pretty quick in transition, although probably could've been a little quicker.

Not really sure what I would change.
Run
  • 21m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off in 3rd and could see both of the women in front of me. I got into what felt like a good pace and went for it. My legs were rubbery but kept moving, and I passed both of them within the first mile I think and pulled away a bit. I had a guy on a bike in front of me who was very nice and encouraging. I had no idea how fast I was going but it seemed like my lead was solid. On the way back I saw everyone and was saying good job to everyone as I passed. I like the camaraderie of triathlons. I kept pushing and there was a little confusing part towards the end where I wasn't sure if I was supposed to turn right or go straight. I then realized there was a girl gaining on me. She had been in 4th place at the turnaround and was well back, so clearly she was crushing the run. I was basically running for dear life trying to keep the lead. She finished one second behind me. Another 100m and I'm pretty sure she would've caught me.

Absolutely nothing. I was wondering why I felt as tired as I did after feeling so strong in the 10k the week before, but when I look at my time it makes sense. I haven't run that fast since college.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for awhile. Sitting hurt. I chatted with my mom and best friend who came to cheer me on and with some of my friends who also competed. Two women on my swim team competed and each got 3rd in their age group. It was great having them on the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could've trained more in the pool or on the bike, but overall I am extremely happy with my performance.

Event comments:

There were less volunteers at this race than usual. Otherwise everything was great. It's a very well organized race and everyone is very friendly and supportive.

Last updated: 2017-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:24 | 750 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 14/106
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit (no wetsuit)
Course: We basically did a large rectangle swim. We finished right where we started which made navigation easier.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:42 | 13.8 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 7/106
Wind: Little
Course: This course was nice and flat. We did one big loop and then rode by the entrance to the park to do a little out and back before heading back into the park. The out and back was nice b/c it allowed us to see who was in front of us. I was in 3rd at the end of the bike.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:51 | 03.1 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 2/106
Course: This was an out and back through the park. It was good being able to see where people were again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-10-09 9:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course

2017-10-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5229413

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course

Awesome win - one day I need to do this race since I ride the course pretty often and I live 8 minutes away LOL.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Slahmmer
Views: 1128 Posts: 1

2017-06-04 3:41 PM Slahmmer

Seahorse Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by drconnelly85
Views: 859 Posts: 1

2017-05-28 8:30 PM drconnelly85

Pokagon Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Matterhorns
Views: 700 Posts: 1