General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-13 6:14 AM

Subject: Beginner
Hello,

I am new to triathlon. I have run 4-5 half marathons and have participated in a few bike rides of around 180KM.
I don't know how swim. I have started to attend some beginner swim class for adults (attended 4 classes until now). My goal is to participate in some triathlon sometime in summer 2018.

I just want to compete and complete.

I am confident about biking and running. But not swimming.

Is it a realistic goal or am I being too ambitious?

2017-10-13 6:29 AM
in reply to: #5229617

User image

Subject: RE: Beginner
It is absolutely realistic. Just take it one session at a time. A sprint distance swim is 750m, a super sprint is ~400m.

Learning to swim is 1 thing, swimming in open water, with a lot of other athletes is another. I would say open water swimming brings the most anxiety.

Perhaps make your first Tri an indoor one with a pool swim, just to ease into it.

Good luck.
2017-10-13 6:49 AM
in reply to: mgbharath

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Very realistic. I'm a non-swimmer that once in a while races triathlons. I'm honestly the worst one out there (yes, breast stroke), but that's ok. I know I can finish the distance and then my race truly starts. Like you, I'm a cyclist and running first and foremost (that's my I do primarily duathlons!).

Take you time, start with shorter distances (sprints) and build you confidence.
2017-10-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I had the exact entry path as you into triathlons.  A few HMs, plus I biked for fitness (thought not 180km LOL).  I could swim (like to save my life) but had never trained in a pool.  My first workout I couldn't finish 100 yards without stopping.  I used the 0-750 plan on here somewhere and that got me through my first sprint (like Audiojan, DFL on the swim and had to backstroke quite a bit).

Lessons help - I didn't really see any major gains in the pool until I got some coaching by joining a Masters group.  I still am relatively slow (like MOP on my best day), but very confident in the water now.

2017-10-13 12:14 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Yes, that's realistic. When I signed up for my first triathlon, a super sprint, I could barely thrash my way across the pool once. I certainly couldn't swim the 400m. Regular lessons and extra practice got me there in a matter of weeks where you have several months. Focus on technique and the distance will come with it. Good luck!
2017-10-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Definitely doable. If you can't afford lessons, ask around and see if there are any buddies that would swim with you and help you. But lessons can really help in the beginning. I recommend asking the wife for an "advance" on your Christmas present... The last bike I bought included my next Christmas and next 2 birthdays presents... ha

2017-10-17 6:52 PM
in reply to: #5229618

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Depends on what you want to do. IM distances are doable after you build a foundation, if you want to put in the hours. You can definitely do a sprint (800/12/3.1, though I've done sprints with 400m swims). I too am not a swimmer, I avoid any tris with ocean swims. You could definitely do an oly by the summer. People here seem to love the HIM distance, maybe for 2019? You can do any of them, just set up a training plan and start. Beginner plans set a foundation and get you to the distance. Intermediate plans give more focus on building speed and strength. Just some observations.
Welcome.
2017-10-18 8:10 AM
in reply to: #5229802

If course this is reasonable. Choose your race wisely. Many have pool swims. If you think you're ready for open water, by all means. Especially if it's a race that's welcoming to those new to it. Youll find that many...if not most...races organized by the local bike shop/running store/parks and rec department are just that. And they will coordinate the swim to accommodate as best as possible.

My two takes on swimming.
1. For a large majority of us (those that never did swim team) swimming was the biggest unknown. But, it's fortunately the discipline that I think you can make the greatest strides in...in the shortest time. It's hard to knock a minute off your 5k pace. Takes a lot of time. But to go from a relative non swimmer to a confident swimmer can happen pretty quick.

2. When you're ready for open water, always remember this. Nobody ever goes on vacation to swim laps in a pool. But plenty of people go on vacations to swim in the ocean. People don't buy vacation houses "at the pool"...but they buy them "on the lake" all the time. Swimming in a pool is boring. Swimming in a lake, river, ocean us a "treat". It's a great mindset to have when approaching races with an OWS. At least I think so.
2017-10-18 8:49 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mgbharath Hello, I am new to triathlon. I have run 4-5 half marathons and have participated in a few bike rides of around 180KM. I don't know how swim. I have started to attend some beginner swim class for adults (attended 4 classes until now). My goal is to participate in some triathlon sometime in summer 2018. I just want to compete and complete. I am confident about biking and running. But not swimming. Is it a realistic goal or am I being too ambitious?

We all start somewhere.  You are lucky that you can attend some swim classes.  When I started Triathlons training 3-1/2 years ago I was living in a town with the population of 5,000 people.  We did have a pool in town, but no swimming classes.  I started swimming 16 weeks before my first triathlon with included a 1.2 mile open water swim.  no, I didn't think that I could race with that little time to prepare.  I was just wanting to finish too.  The first day I hit the pool I could only swim about half a lap before I would panic for air and stop to regain my bearings and try again.  That night I looked on youtube for swimming drilling.  The next two week I didn't try to swim laps at all.  every time I was in the pool I was working on my swimming drills.  When I started to swim laps I could make it about 200 yds.  Again I got some drills off youtube to work on body position and once I got some of those issues worked out I start to make some progress.  I then spend about a month working on drill to improve my hand strokes.  Then I spend the last month building volume.  When I got to the race my plan was to go slow and easy on the swim.  I finished and really enjoyed both learning to swim and the swim leg of the race.  With flat ties on the bike leg and severe dehydration and cramping due to the heat on the run the swim leg actually was my best leg of the day. 

At about 10 days into the swimming I wanted to give up but I told myself that if others could learn to swim I could too.  I was too stubborn to give up and I am now really glad that I didn't.

No, it is not unrealistic to goal to have your swim ready for a 2018 race.  Just stick with it through the hard days and things will come.  It took me two months to get the basics of swimming down and everything after that was just improovements.

2017-10-27 11:39 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
So how is it going?
Mitzi
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Look 586 Pro Team edition - Beginner triathlete