General Discussion Race Reports! » Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Adamstown, Pennsylvania
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 39s
Overall Rank = 160/172
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 23/24
Pre-race routine:

Had my usual breakfast of yogurt, apple, cinnamon, granola. Sipped some Nuun on the way to Stoudt's. Got to the race site around 9:10 am, start time is 10 am. We walked up to get our bibs, glass + beer ticket and use the facilities. Said hi to a few folks from the running club that I know. Took stuff back to car and stretched a little.
Event warmup:

Light jog from the car up to the bathrooms. The usual dynamic stretching and a few static stretches, too as we waited for race start.
Run
  • 1h 26m 39s
  • 12 kms
  • 07m 13s  min/km
Comments:

I've long had this race on my 'to do' list but hadn't done it for one reason or another. People often mentioned how hilly it is and is also an 'odd' distance. I decided this is the year I'm finally going to get 'er done.

I seeded myself toward the back and it was a pretty good guess of where I needed to be. I don't think I got passed much nor did I pass too many people but had a few of each. It was a very pretty day for the race but a little hotter than I would've preferred. It was nice running somewhere new but I was also completely unfamiliar with the area and didn't know what to expect.

There were a few hills along the way, as advertised. I tackled them with a mix of walking and running. I didn't feel the need to kill myself on this race as I had a hockey game to play the next day.

Saw more familiar faces from LRRC at the aid stations. I had my hydration vest so I didn't take any water along the route, just used my own. One bottle of Nuun, one bottle of water. Ate a gel somewhere between mile 3-4, used (and spilled) BASE salt some time later.

The downhills were tough - not wanting to shred my quads and also not wanting to take a header on the rough road.

I was mainly looking to complete this race, not so much race it. I knew that no matter what I did it would be a PR because of the odd distance. I would've like to done a little better but I'm not beating myself up over it too much. At least I wasn't last!
What would you do differently?:

Be a bit better prepared for the hills and the distance. I also think I could've been better prepared mentally for it. I had just raced a 5K last weekend and think my head and heart weren't 100% on board with another race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car to drop off our loaves of bread (finisher prize) get our beer glasses and ticket, thankfully a long enough walk to help serve as a cool down. Got a few orange slices and water, then got in line for our beer. Grabbed a table at the outside biergarten, then shared a fresh, local kielbasa with kraut and some green beans as we watched the 'fast kids' collect their prizes of beer for AG and OA placing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course and not expecting the hills to be quite what they were. My weight.

Event comments:

Check this one off the list! Now that I've completed it, I don't think I need to do it again. Nothing against the race itself - it was very well run and a nice course, just a little more challenge than I was expecting.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-10-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:39 | 12 kms | 07m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 23/24
Overall: 160/172
Performance: Average
Course: The course runs counterclockwise, beginning and ending near the clock tower. The first mile is a gentle downhill that takes you into and through the quiet borough of Adamstown, home to Good’s Potato Chips and Bollman Hat Company. The following 2 miles slowly climbs North and West into the wooded countryside. At mile 3 a long, fairly gradual uphill begins, which flattens out between miles 4.5 & 5. Just after mile 5 the runners will experience a winding down hill descent. Please be careful, there is a sharp right turn at the bottom. The remainder of the course is fairly flat with a short, but very inconvenient hill just before mile 7. The last quarter mile is downhill so save something for the sprint to the finish. There will be two aid stations, one at mile 3 and one just before mile 5. Local police and fire police and Lancaster Road Runners Club members provide traffic control and course guidance.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2017-10-23 3:29 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12K

2017-10-26 5:58 PM
in reply to: #5230097

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12K

You always seem to find cool races with interesting perks - beer, glass, and loaf of bread! Winning!!  Congrats on running a smart race and not ruining yourself for your game. I also find it interesting whenever anyone has a race that starts later than 7:30 - no way a 10 start would happen in Florida!!

2017-10-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12K

Originally posted by amd723

You always seem to find cool races with interesting perks - beer, glass, and loaf of bread! Winning!!  Congrats on running a smart race and not ruining yourself for your game. I also find it interesting whenever anyone has a race that starts later than 7:30 - no way a 10 start would happen in Florida!!

I'm not sure why they start this race so late, either.  I'm thinking maybe the beer has something to do with it but maybe not.  Some towns/areas of PA still have antiquated drinking laws on the books but thankfully that is changed for the most part.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Classic Distance

Started by tcovert
Views: 804 Posts: 1

2017-09-18 1:08 PM tcovert

Chili Bowl Classic 5K

Started by lfohl
Views: 807 Posts: 1

2017-02-26 10:20 AM lfohl

Ashenfelter 8K Classic

Started by swim114
Views: 842 Posts: 1