General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice on training for my 1st HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-14 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: advice on training for my 1st HIM
Hi all,

So I am finally starting early. I have been building slowly for 6 weeks to get me able to start training Dec. 2 for a June HIM. I built a 7-month BT custom plan which builds slowly for the goal of finishing. For all you young bucks who will tell me to go all out, I'm 58 and being very cautious to keep my arthritic knees from acting up. So far so good, but dealing with that is a question for another thread.

I hear people say that a plan shouldn't be more than 4 months or you can lose focus. What would I do for three months to get prepared for a four-month plan? I'm starting from scratch. Or do I just stick with a 7 month slow and steady build to get me over the finish line.

2017-11-14 4:54 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: advice on training for my 1st HIM
Playing around I notice that if I start the HIM plan on March 4 instead of Dec. 2 the weeks that overlap are very similar. So if I start on March 4 it'll be where I'd be if I started the plan Dec. 2.

What do I do? I'm spending nearly as much time trying to figure this out as I'm doing working out (not really, but you get the point).

Mitzi
2017-11-14 5:06 PM

Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Hi all,

So I am finally starting early. I have been building slowly for 6 weeks to get me able to start training Dec. 2 for a June HIM. I built a 7-month BT custom plan which builds slowly for the goal of finishing. For all you young bucks who will tell me to go all out, I'm 58 and being very cautious to keep my arthritic knees from acting up. So far so good, but dealing with that is a question for another thread.

I hear people say that a plan shouldn't be more than 4 months or you can lose focus. What would I do for three months to get prepared for a four-month plan? I'm starting from scratch. Or do I just stick with a 7 month slow and steady build to get me over the finish line.

I dunno about you, but the 'plans' freak me out. At least in terms of the level of obsessiveness I get about them. For me, those first few months would have to give me quite a bit of latitude to change/rearrange/skip. Especially during winter months when weather can throw wrenches in the works of various activities.

That all being said, whenever I've ramped up as you're doing...I had some sort of undocumented plan going into those early months. Either ramping up my ability to crack off a run/swim that was comparable to some that were many weeks into the actual training plan with only a few weeks to ramp up to it safely. Like making a regular 'long run' 8-9 instead of 5-6 or something. I also did a lot more interval work type stuff, hoping I could eventually go faster. Or other things at the gym that interested me.....like a rowing machine that I could justify as improving my overall fitness. Or maybe not letting my swim ability slip as much.

If it works for ya....it'll work for ya. The good news is, if it's not working for ya, you got time to shift gears and let off some steam and then get back to it 4 months out.
2017-11-14 5:09 PM
in reply to: 0

Playing around I notice that if I start the HIM plan on March 4 instead of Dec. 2 the weeks that overlap are very similar. So if I start on March 4 it'll be where I'd be if I started the plan Dec. 2.

What do I do? I'm spending nearly as much time trying to figure this out as I'm doing working out (not really, but you get the point).

Mitzi

I guess....as I noted.....when approaching that distance...I've had some sort of "plan".....for those extra months. Maybe not explicitly detailed and it likely looked quite different than the rest of the actual plan and certainly wasn't as regimented. But, I always found myself in a spot where the first few weeks of the plan were actually a net decrease in terms of time/distance from what I'd been doing. But, that's mostly because I have to do A LOT to keep the weight off.

At times I've gone ahead and continued my regular routine. Although, this last time 'round for my one (and likely only) full, I dialed it back for those first few weeks and followed the plan. I looked at it like the calm before the storm. Or a few weeks of patting myself on the back....figuring if I gained any weight....I'd likely lose it in the ensuing weeks and months.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-11-14 5:11 PM
2017-11-14 10:02 PM

Hi all,

If you're looking at training for general fitness I wouldn't worry about it. Most of us are training year round.
2017-11-14 10:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by MuscleMomma   What would I do for three months to get prepared for a four-month plan? I'm starting from scratch..

Swim.......alot.

2017-11-15 12:01 AM

Mitzi

You may get bored/lose motivation with such a long training plan. Over winter/off season I train, but don't follow a program. It's usually a case of what I feel like doing on the day also dictated by the weather. As the winter draws to an end I'll slowly start tinkering with my training, addressing the imbalance until I start a typical 12 week 70.3 week program. I'd suggest putting together your own program for at least the next few months and be flexible with it.
2017-11-15 11:00 AM
in reply to: #5231006

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Left brain - you know me so well! Hate swimming
2017-11-15 12:31 PM

Left brain - you know me so well! Hate swimming

I will say this about swimming in the winter months....assuming we're talking about a climate where your only option is an indoor pool...
The water feels warmer.
I don't know if it's the fact that you're essentially "colder" during those winter months...kinda like a cold blooded animal thing going on....the water just doesn't seem as cold when you're colder. Or if its the fact that there's no air conditioning constantly blowing on the pool.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice on training for my 1st HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training advice

Started by jnuger
Views: 342 Posts: 1

2017-07-25 9:48 AM jnuger

1st Wetsuit Advice??

Started by jakeddd
Views: 797 Posts: 4

2017-05-02 9:51 AM JR101

Wetsuit 1st triathlon

Started by rebiker17
Views: 971 Posts: 4

2017-04-07 1:48 PM lowdon

Looking for Training advice - basically from scratch

Started by slow triathlete
Views: 1421 Posts: 6

2016-12-28 3:08 PM LanceCarter

Injured while training for 70.3 - training advice?

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 2098 Posts: 4

2016-12-11 8:59 PM alicefoeller