Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2017-11-16 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Sexual harassment on the Hill
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/settlements-congress-sexual-... -

We the taxpayer are footing the bill. I have to go with the good Congresswoman here and demand to know who is behind these 260 cases and as taxpayers, demand they be removed from office and stripped of all the lifetime perks associated with being in office. Those that aren't in office any more need to also be stripped of their benefits. In the grand scheme of things, 15 mil isn't a lot of money, but I think the principle of the matter demands action.

This could very well flip the balance of power in Washington and that would be OK by me. It would send a message and these people would start policing themselves rather than turning a blind eye.

2017-11-16 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Sexual harassment on the Hill
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/al-franken-sexual-harassment...

Oopsie. Got this one on film, no way to deny that happening.

OK for a SNL guy. NOT OK for a sitting US Senator.

Edited by mdg2003 2017-11-16 10:50 AM
2017-11-16 12:50 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by mdg2003 http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/al-franken-sexual-harassment... Oopsie. Got this one on film, no way to deny that happening. OK for a SNL guy. NOT OK for a sitting US Senator.

Not ok at all, without permission.  On the same level as the Peter Sagan thing.

Edited by spudone 2017-11-16 12:51 PM
2017-11-16 2:54 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Regular
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by mdg2003 http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/al-franken-sexual-harassment... Oopsie. Got this one on film, no way to deny that happening. OK for a SNL guy. NOT OK for a sitting US Senator.

Al Franken is today's guilty party. However, I do not see anyone calling for his resignation, even through there is photographic proof.
2017-11-16 3:03 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Champion
Alabama
I call for Al Franken to resign!

I’m no lawyer but is this not criminal sexual assault?
2017-11-16 4:14 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by hessma

Al Franken is today's guilty party. However, I do not see anyone calling for his resignation, even through there is photographic proof.

Franken needs to go. Even if that means his seat might be filled by a Republican. I don't know how solidly blue Minnesota is, and I don't really care. You sexually assault someone, you don't get to be a Senator. It's not hard, and it's not a partisan issue. 

If a Hollywood production company or Fox News wants to try and weather a sexual assault scandal, whatever. They can live and die by their ratings or public outcry or boycotts. But the government works for the people and that chit can't be tolerated.

2017-11-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Franken needs to go. Even if that means his seat might be filled by a Republican. I don't know how solidly blue Minnesota is, and I don't really care. You sexually assault someone, you don't get to be a Senator. It's not hard, and it's not a partisan issue. 

If a Hollywood production company or Fox News wants to try and weather a sexual assault scandal, whatever. They can live and die by their ratings or public outcry or boycotts. But the government works for the people and that chit can't be tolerated.

Yes Sir....to all of it. Your post is right on the money!
2017-11-17 6:45 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
I think a list should be created that list people NOT accused of or found guilty of sexual harassment.
2017-11-17 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

There are differences between assaulting someone, being accused of assaulting someone, and being convicted of assaulting someone.  

I don't see a lot of political leaders volunteering that history without some accusation first.  

Constitutionally, the requirements to be a senator are pretty lax, and adding requirements now will require a change to the constitution.  

I do agree that we, as voters, should not accept candidates or members convicted of such behavior.  

2017-11-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro
Tejas
I get it with Franken. He's made a living on slapstick humor and has probably had a real difficult time transitioning from clown to an adult that runs our country. But dude, you gotta let the past go and grow up! I'm sure the pic seemed like a bit of fun at the time, but you're a US Senator and can't play like that anymore, people are watching.
I'm sure he'll survive the media storm as CNN has already shifted the narrative to Trump being inconsistent of his treatment of Moore and Al. They're right of course, but so far no pics have surfaced of Moore wining and dining a 15 year old girl. Of course the ultimate goal will be to revisit Trump's checkered past and ultimately try to impeach him for actions made before he took office. A quick visit to CNN confirms my suspicions -

(Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.12.15 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.12.15 AM.png (778KB - 3 downloads)
2017-11-17 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I admit that I like Al Franken quite a bit, so I was pretty disappointed to see this. Not ok, even for a comedian. Wasn't ok when Sagan did it either.

This stuff is making the headlines every day, to the point that it's exhausting. My hope is that  people don't ignore it, and that it will change the conversation around what is acceptable. Hopefully, when my daughter grows up, it won't be funny to take a photo pretending you're touching a woman without her consent. Because we all know that when that picture was taken, it got plenty of laughs. And that's the problem.

I will say this... I've worked in male dominated professions my entire career and have had the pleasure of working with many amazing men who were respectful and intelligent. I'd say I've had it good, I've had it easy. But I've still had my moments of being supremely uncomfortable in certain situations, and as I look back, I felt like I didn't have a voice. I had a gallery owner trap me alone in a corner at a show last Christmas - I was doing my job, and he made me feel supremely uncomfortable and unsafe, all while my husband and a zillion patrons were standing upstairs. I managed to wriggle out of there, grabbed my husband and left the opening early. I stopped teaching workshops out of my home because of a student who started sending me 10 emails a day, paragraphs long, over the line. My husband stepped in on that one, because it was just plain creepy. I'm conditioned to dismiss this stuff - "it's no big deal" - but honestly, it sucks when I can't properly do my job because these guys think this is ok. And I have it easy! And I hope this conversation, as tiring as it may be to see it in the news everyday, will change things, even if just a bit - if not for me, for my daughter's generation. Probably a bit too hopeful, but who knows. 

Edited by Stacers 2017-11-17 10:56 AM

2017-11-17 12:35 PM

Master
, California

Franken needs to go. Even if that means his seat might be filled by a Republican. I don't know how solidly blue Minnesota is, and I don't really care. You sexually assault someone, you don't get to be a SenatorIt's not hard, and it's not a partisan issue. 

Yeah obviously he's much more qualified to be President.

2017-11-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

Master
, California

Originally posted by mdg2003 I get it with Franken. He's made a living on slapstick humor and has probably had a real difficult time transitioning from clown to an adult that runs our country. But dude, you gotta let the past go and grow up! I'm sure the pic seemed like a bit of fun at the time, but you're a US Senator and can't play like that anymore, people are watching.

That picture was from 2006, but he took office in 2009.  I'm not excusing it, just saying that he didn't do that as a U.S. Senator.  Of course we're on day 2 of this and who knows if there will be other accusers.

2017-11-17 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Originally posted by mdg2003 I get it with Franken. He's made a living on slapstick humor and has probably had a real difficult time transitioning from clown to an adult that runs our country. But dude, you gotta let the past go and grow up! I'm sure the pic seemed like a bit of fun at the time, but you're a US Senator and can't play like that anymore, people are watching.

That picture was from 2006, but he took office in 2009.  I'm not excusing it, just saying that he didn't do that as a U.S. Senator.  Of course we're on day 2 of this and who knows if there will be other accusers.

My $0.02: Anyone can make a mistake and he owned up to it, apologized, and the apology was accepted (at least that is what I heard). However, if this turns out to be a pattern he has to go. Moore on the other hand is just creepy.
2017-11-17 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I did not realize he wasn't in office at the time. For some reason, I had it in my mind that he was in office during the W admin. That doesn't excuse it, but I don't think it's the same as if he was on the tour as a Senator. It's still slimy, but he wasn't there on official gubmint business. This one is up to his constituents to decide during his next bid for office. Anyone taking odds on that pic being used by opponents in all their campaign ads?
2017-11-18 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
He just got re-elected so opposition will be using that photo in 5+ years. You have a far more optimistic opinion of the electorate's collective memory than I.

2017-11-18 9:34 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

He just got re-elected so opposition will be using that photo in 5+ years. You have a far more optimistic opinion of the electorate's collective memory than I.

The photo is already 11 years old and causing considerable heart burn for Al. I'm pretty sure it will be used against him with some degree of effectiveness in just 5 years. The barracudas that run those statewide campaigns will be there to remind anyone who might have forgotten. So no need worry about the electorate's memory!
Yegads, I hate state election campaign season with all those ads and robocalls. Makes it hardly worth tuning in a local TV channel or getting up to answer the phone during those final weeks before the state and local election! Same in Fla?
2017-11-18 11:03 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by Oysterboy He just got re-elected so opposition will be using that photo in 5+ years. You have a far more optimistic opinion of the electorate's collective memory than I.
The photo is already 11 years old and causing considerable heart burn for Al. I'm pretty sure it will be used against him with some degree of effectiveness in just 5 years. The barracudas that run those statewide campaigns will be there to remind anyone who might have forgotten. So no need worry about the electorate's memory! Yegads, I hate state election campaign season with all those ads and robocalls. Makes it hardly worth tuning in a local TV channel or getting up to answer the phone during those final weeks before the state and local election! Same in Fla?

Yeah it's bad enough where I live, can't imagine being in a battleground state.

2017-11-18 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by Oysterboy He just got re-elected so opposition will be using that photo in 5+ years. You have a far more optimistic opinion of the electorate's collective memory than I.
The photo is already 11 years old and causing considerable heart burn for Al. I'm pretty sure it will be used against him with some degree of effectiveness in just 5 years. The barracudas that run those statewide campaigns will be there to remind anyone who might have forgotten. So no need worry about the electorate's memory! Yegads, I hate state election campaign season with all those ads and robocalls. Makes it hardly worth tuning in a local TV channel or getting up to answer the phone during those final weeks before the state and local election! Same in Fla?

Yeah it's bad enough where I live, can't imagine being in a battleground state.

Getting worse every election here in Texas. We’ve actually become a purple state or at least leaning that direction. Living in San Antonio which is pretty much blue until you get to the burbs, we get hammered with ads for House contests. Both sides put out some pretty nasty and mostly unsubstantiated claims against each other. I expect things will get much nastier with each coming cycle.
2017-11-20 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
And they're coming out of the woodwork now - http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/al-franken-inappropriate-tou...

This time while in office. Poor judgement and uncalled for behavior.
2017-11-20 11:54 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

And they're coming out of the woodwork now - http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/al-franken-inappropriate-tou...

This time while in office. Poor judgement and uncalled for behavior.

Another one of those unverifiable claims that is impossible to disprove. Ok, likely she did have her picture take with AF.....where was his hand? She claims it was on her butt.

If someone grabbed my wife's arse they will most assuredly and immediately get a swift and wicked slap across the face....followed by a right cross and left uppercut from me.

But again, no way to know if she is being truthful or not. There is a room for ambiguity here as to the placement of the hand....how "low" on the back/hip can you go without being on the butt?

2017-11-29 8:50 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Matt Lauer goes down. _http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/media/matt-lauer/index.html .

Kind of a surprise to me. Not a Lauer fan, but he seemed like a decent man. Geez, who's next?
2017-11-29 8:58 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003  Geez, who's next?

Walter Cronkite

2017-11-29 3:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003  Geez, who's next?

Walter Cronkite

I'm going with Dan Rather.
2017-11-30 2:38 PM

User image

Pro

OK, it's official.....the best one yet has just come out......

"Bette Midler: Geraldo Rivera drugged & groped me"

We have now reached  "you can't make this chit up"  status. LMAO

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Sexual harassment on the Hill Rss Feed  

of 1