General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation out the window Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-21 4:52 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Subject: Motivation out the window
This year has been a hectic, and fantastic year for me when it comes to racing and life in general. Training was on point throughout the majority of the year set a few pr's and in general enjoyed the year when it came to racing and training. After doing Racine HIM, I transitioned into training for my first marathon, it was intense, LOTS of miles. So tough, and so worth it. The race didn't go as planned, but I got it done. That was in late September. Spent the remaining days of September helping my then fiance, finish our wedding plans. Married in October, so most of that month was spent enjoying my time with her, no complaints. We are now almost through November and it's been rough training wise. I have not touched my bike in months, couldn't tell you the last time I dove into a pool, and running has been sporadic to say the least (twice this month). Now, I should also say that we are expecting our first child together (I have a 16 year old already) in January and we have been busy with doctors appointments and classes for parents. I have a 5 mile race in 2 days, I know I'll finish it as will my wife who is doing the 5k. Here is my question, in times like this, where do you all find your motivation? I currently have zero, and could really use some.

2017-11-22 12:34 AM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Motivation out the window
First of all, congrats on the good year, the wedding and all that. I was going to say that you needed a break from training after a long season, but then I got to the bit where you wrote that you just had 2 months of that.

Seems like your priorities have changed ( and that’s only the start, wait until that baby is born!). Training needs to find its new place in your life.

I don’t know what’s the weather like where you live but for me, it would be tough to find new motivation in the winter after a 2 months break (cold and dark. Luckily for me,I am still rolling.)

Don’t know what your goals are with triathlon so I could be wrong but I’d say don’t fret, take it easy for a couple more weeks, go on easy runs or even walks as much as you can to keep moving and enjoy your new life! Sign up for some longer races in the Spring to give you a reason to train once you are ready to start again!

2017-11-22 11:00 AM

User image

You have a lot of new wonderfulness in your life. Enjoy it! Training/race motivation will return when you are ready.
2017-11-22 12:19 PM

My general plan is to always have a race on the horizon where serious injury or rescue might be necessary if I am not decently trained for it. So I've got a several mile San Francisco Bay swim and probably a hundred mile trail run in the Canadian mountains planned for the coming summer.

I'm not sure this plan is good for one's mental health but I'm motivated!
2017-11-23 2:27 PM

This happens. Yes, it does take a toll on your training consistency, and thus long-term race performances, but ultimately, we do this for fun/fitness, and nobody outside of our small circle (and mostly ourselves) cares about how fast/slow we went. 

I'd recommend that you hit the reset button on expectations now, and give yourself some super-easily attainable goals. I'd recommend trying to run 1 or possibly 2 miles, 3 times per week. If you can't do that, do it two times per week. Forget bike/swim for now.  

If you can run 1-2 miles 2-3x/week, you're actually not too far off at any point from diving back into a full sprint-oly training schedule given your background. You'll have enough leg training to not require weeks of super low buildup before you start training 'for real' again, and you'll have enough discipline to know you can get out 3x/week, even for 10-25 mins at a time. 

2017-11-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Davenort, Iowa
I appreciate the info. I'm doing my best to stay positive and get some training in when I can. It helps that my training partner still messages me every so often to make sure I'm alive. I really need to find a race and sign up for it, but with baby on the way it's difficult to know how much time we will have for training. Either way, I'll still be lurking around here!!

2017-11-27 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Maybe switch into doing 5ks for a while.  You'd still be racing, but the training requirements will be easier to fit into a schedule.

I've found it also helps to re-define yourself as an athlete.  I no longer define myself as a triathlete, but as an endurance athlete.  So if I want to do cycling one year, that's ok.  Or running, that's ok.  I'm not betraying myself because I want to do other fun stuff.  Lots of fun stuff out there to do!

2017-11-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California

I feel ya, I have been in the doldrums for awhile now. Had lots of changes in my life this year and training has been sporadic at best. My pops passed away 1 year ago, I moved to a new town that is significantly more expensive then my former living situation. Not to mention my pay has been up and down like a yo yo. I managed to complete a couple HIM's and a Olympic this year but like you I have not been in the pool for over a month, the tires in my bike are probably about 10psi, haven't touched the bike since Sept. 24.

I have tried to get myself back into it but its been difficult, the days are shorter and colder, I have less money in my pocket and I haven't made any new friends so been a little isolated. So the blues kinda kick in, its hard to get motivated. 

I started trying to get up and do calisthenics in the morning, ya that lasted about a week, lol But on a serious note I discovered new trails! So over the thanksgiving weekend I laid down 15 miles of glorious trail running in 2 days, can't wait to go back. And with some research I have found more trails then I can  shake a stick at so I am going to gift myself a new pair of trail shoes this weekend.

As someone said above, the motivation will find you. So in the mean time I will run trails and perhaps sign up for a 50k trail race just to shake things up. Probably ought to go jump out of a plane too, been wanting to do that for years now. I am signed up for a Triathlon in June, my training days will come, for now I am just going to chill. Been training and racing for 3 years straight, probably time to just take it easy a little bit and refocus, get some new gear and get back into it all at my pace. 

I hope your motivation finds you before the lion. The gazelle wakes up knowing that if it can't outrun the lion it will surely be killed, and the lion wakes up knowing that he must be faster then the gazelle or he will die of starvation. So whether your the gazelle or the lion, when you wake up, you had better be running!

Edited by rjcalhoun 2017-11-29 8:15 PM
2018-02-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Just wanted to follow up and let you all know that the motivation has finally returned. I spent the early part of January just riding on the trainer. Day after day, didn't miss a day from 12-3 to 1-9, then our daughter was born. She requires more time than I remember. After a month of getting used to the late nights, middle of the night and early morning feedings, I told my wife I needed to get back to working out. I actually missed it. We discussed and she is on board with swapping up turns of the feeding schedule. This allows me around 3-4 hours every morning to work out. This morning was the first day, 16 miles on the bike. Slow but done. I'm hoping to get a little run in tomorrow morning. I may be out of practice but I know it will come back to me.

Just wanted to say thank you!!
2018-02-16 12:32 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done on getting your motivation back and congrats on the birth of your daughter!
2018-02-16 9:24 AM

Glad things are balancing out and you are finding time to balance health, family and work.

For all those on this thread who have said it's difficult to find the time to do it all, I want to tell you about a book I just finished reading. It is called Fast Track Triathlete and it was written by Matt Dixon, an Ironman certified coach. He has trained amateurs and pros alike, to 140.6 and 70.3 age group championships (amateurs) and to 140.6 podium finishes and 70.3 world championships (pros). He has worked with lot of business people who have a finite amount of training time available. The message of his book is that you have to balance family, work and triathlon training and that training well but training less can indeed produce great results. He discusses this concept and provides detailed training plans.

I heard him on The Triathlon Training Podcast and was so impressed I bought the book. I got it off of Amazon and it was on my door in two days for less than fifteen bucks. I'd highly recommend.

2018-03-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Davenort, Iowa
I appreciate that. I will definitely check the book out!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation out the window Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to get back into training, need some motivation

Started by rjcalhoun
Views: 783 Posts: 5

2017-08-08 2:16 PM BlueBoy26

I need some motivation after DNF

Started by Stuartap
Views: 2366 Posts: 18

2017-02-23 8:52 PM zedzded