General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel Set for triathlon and road : which one should I choose? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-24 12:24 PM

Subject: Wheel Set for triathlon and road : which one should I choose?
Hello.
I want to get a new wheelset to use for training and racing that I can use on both triathlon and road bike. I’m trying to decide between Zipp 404 FC or Zipp 404 FC front wheel and Knight Composite 65 with DT 240 hub for back wheel.
I’m trying to decide between this two because I have two good prices for that ones. And what’s best: clincher or Tyre ?
Thanks in advance.

2017-11-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: filipe720

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Wheel Set for triathlon and road : which one should I choose?

I don't know bean about wheel sets.  I got my first wheel set just over a year ago and have only used then twice for races, but I would go with the Zipp 404 FC.  I have clinchers and had to change a tire in my last race so I was glad that I had something I could change quickly.  I was back up and going in 8 minutes which I was pretty happy with.  I am not going to break any world records for changing a bike tire, but the clincher was very easy to work on. 

2017-11-27 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

IMHO, the FLO Cycling carbon clincher 45 or 60 are hard to beat.  If you don't care about weight then the Al-carbon fairing 60's would be good.  Today's clinchers tires are pretty awesome when it comes to rolling resistance.

2017-11-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I don't know bean about wheel sets.  I got my first wheel set just over a year ago and have only used then twice for races, but I would go with the Zipp 404 FC.  I have clinchers and had to change a tire in my last race so I was glad that I had something I could change quickly.  I was back up and going in 8 minutes which I was pretty happy with.  I am not going to break any world records for changing a bike tire, but the clincher was very easy to work on. 

I generally follow the same logic.  I avoid tubular, because I know I can change a clincher.

As for depth, I'd say either is fine.  I'm pretty sure you can get a wheel cover to turn either rear wheel into a disc should you want that.

2017-11-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I generally follow the same logic.  I avoid tubular, because I know I can change a clincher.

As for depth, I'd say either is fine.  I'm pretty sure you can get a wheel cover to turn either rear wheel into a disc should you want that.

I never tried tubulars until this year. They are easier to change than I ever thought. But yes, clinchers are my choice 95% of the time

I would use tubulars if : I rode a lot of hills with a lot of braking AND I had carbon wheels AND even more if I was heavy.

Carbon clinchers for a heavy guy on hills has it's dangers. No name carbon clinchers in such condition is IMO suicidal

Otherwise, clinchers.
2017-11-27 9:12 PM

I'm not sure I understand. . .are you suggesting that you'll get one brand up front and a different brand in back? Yeah, I wouldn't do that for no other reason than how it looks.

As for clincher v. tubs. . . pinch flats aren't a concern on the road. . . . so I'd go clincher for ease and cost alone. Off road, 100% tubs.

2017-11-29 1:25 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
If it was me and I didn't have wheels I would definitely just go with the easy choice of HED JET 6+ for a cool $1000. I wrote up a list of reasons why but in short, aero, handles great, wider, proven, long-standing company, lower psi offering greater comfort, ALUMINUM brake track for better braking. Full article that goes into brief detail here: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2017/06/best-ironman-triathlon-aero-wh...

The following on tires also has a lot of thought. It has stayed relevant for many years surprisingly too. You can always go with a GP4000s or GPTT, but you are splitting hairs. Any of these will be good: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2012/06/best-triathlon-road-bike-tt-ra...
2017-11-29 7:57 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri If it was me and I didn't have wheels I would definitely just go with the easy choice of HED JET 6+ for a cool $1000. I wrote up a list of reasons why but in short, aero, handles great, wider, proven, long-standing company, lower psi offering greater comfort, ALUMINUM brake track for better braking. Full article that goes into brief detail here: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2017/06/best-ironman-triathlon-aero-wh... The following on tires also has a lot of thought. It has stayed relevant for many years surprisingly too. You can always go with a GP4000s or GPTT, but you are splitting hairs. Any of these will be good: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2012/06/best-triathlon-road-bike-tt-ra...

The link in the article for the wheelset actually has them sitting at $880, which is nice.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel Set for triathlon and road : which one should I choose? Rss Feed