User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Politically incorrect
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

I know I'm probably overly biased to this kind of disrespect.  My Grandfather was 2nd Marine Division in the Pacific.  He landed and fought at Tarawa and Tinian. I know what he thought of those Navajo men firsthand.

President Trump is clueless about this kind of stuff IMO.  Any ceremony honoring any of these men deserves the utmost reverence and respect.  How is that not understood by a man of his generation?

The introductions of the three men is absolutely incredible. One of them had to swim to the beach at Tarawa after his landing craft was destroyed, and was later was shot fighting on Tinian. The man who fought at Iwo Jima later joined the Army to fight in the Korean War. They, and your grandfather, have my utmost respect.

I guess my Grandpa wouldn't mind me re-telling one of the few stories he told me about the landing at Tarawa.  He was only 18 years old and just recently out of boot camp.  He told me that the shelling from the Island was so severe that the landing-craft drivers were stopping short, and that the water was much deeper than they expected.  Grandpa said that when he went into the water he went straight to the bottom, about 15 feet he said.  He told me that he dropped his rifle and had to shed his pack to  get back to the surface.  He said when he came up he was completely disoriented with all of the shelling, gunfire, and screaming, and that there was so much smoke he couldn't even tell which way to swim.  He said that many of his fellow Marines drowned before ever making it to the beach.  He said that he was starting to panic and was shoved back underwater by someone.  He paused for quite some time and then said, "look, I'm going to tell you what happened next and I don't care if you believe me or not, but it happened.  When I came back to the surface there was a sailor, maybe10 foot tall, in complete dress white uniform, standing on the water, pointing toward the beach. That's how I got there."  Of course, I had no idea what to say to that, so I was just looking at him.  After a short time he just said, "I can't explain it, but I know what I saw."  When he died at the age of 85 he had 74 grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.  I am the oldest of them.

Wow!! Very cool story!

My Great uncle Elwood, like my Grandfather, came off the family farm in NE Connecticut to fight in WWI. My grandfather enlisted in the Navy and served on a supply ship that ferried supplies and troops back and forth from Plymouth to Dunkirk. His ship was sunk by a Uboat and he floated around in the English Channel for 18 or so hours before getting plucked out. My Great Uncle enlisted in the Army and ended up the 26 ID otherwise known as the "Yankee Division". When I was a kid I heard him on more than one occasion talking about the war, the trenches, the gas, no-mans land. Uncle Elwood earned a silver star for bravery before coming home and settling down.

My Uncle Elwood and aunt Maude only had one son. David, like his dad, joined the Army at the onset of WWII. He died at Anzio. My uncle and grandfather's youngest brother, Walt, was in the Navy at the start of WWII and drove a landing craft at Kwajalein.

I am proud of these members of my family, and I would like to think that they would be proud of me and what I have accomplished even though I did not serve in the military. Clearly, nothing or no one should do anything to diminish what they and their comrades did in defending this country. Full stop.

2017-11-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Rogillio OK, I will concede the joke was inappropriate if someone will recognize the Trump WH for hosting the event in the first place! People say and do crap all the time that is inappropriate, make jokes at the wrong time, say stuff that someone will take offense at, laugh at inappropriate times....ever get the giggles at a funeral? Such things are usually just blown off.....unless you are looking to make the person look bad. So instead of reporting on the Navajo Code Talkers and their attempt to get a museum, and all the heroic things they did and how the WH hosted a special ceremony to honor these 3 Navajo Indians.......all the media is reporting on is "Pocahontas". So sick of the media's hatred of Trump. Inappropriate? OK, fine...so f'ing what?! Not exactly going to change the course of history!

I'm curious to see if your opinion changes after you get a chance to watch the full video. I thought Gen. Kelly gave the type of speech Trump should have given. And probably would have given if he had actually read his prepared speech. But he had to go off-script. I don't get his name-calling attacks, seems a bit childish to me. But he won the election talking like that so clearly it's working for him. The thing is, there's a time and a place, and this absolutely wasn't it. If he wants to mock Crooked Hillary or Lyin Ted or Pocahontas Warren when he's out talking to a union hall or meeting the Superbowl winning team, whatever. But there are certain events where a president has to act, I don't know, presidential. 

The pocahontas thing is getting all the press, but like Stacers mentioned, it's the way he talked to them like they were toddlers that really bothered me. "I assume you're the young one in the group. Are you the young one in the group? Huh?" Ugh, no. 

2017-11-29 3:17 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Originally posted by mdg2003

The Donald is having too much fun poking the hornet nest. He needs filters to keep him from crossing the line.

Problem is his conception of where the line is is way off of where 90% of us think it is. That is assuming he knows there is a line at all.

He's been in a position of unquestioned power where nobody dared point out that there is a line. He's still in a position of power, but he works for us now. He needs to learn about 'the line.' And someone needs to take the damn phone away from him.
2017-11-29 3:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I know I'm probably overly biased to this kind of disrespect.  My Grandfather was 2nd Marine Division in the Pacific.  He landed and fought at Tarawa and Tinian. I know what he thought of those Navajo men firsthand.

President Trump is clueless about this kind of stuff IMO.  Any ceremony honoring any of these men deserves the utmost reverence and respect.  How is that not understood by a man of his generation?

The introductions of the three men is absolutely incredible. One of them had to swim to the beach at Tarawa after his landing craft was destroyed, and was later was shot fighting on Tinian. The man who fought at Iwo Jima later joined the Army to fight in the Korean War. They, and your grandfather, have my utmost respect.

I guess my Grandpa wouldn't mind me re-telling one of the few stories he told me about the landing at Tarawa.  He was only 18 years old and just recently out of boot camp.  He told me that the shelling from the Island was so severe that the landing-craft drivers were stopping short, and that the water was much deeper than they expected.  Grandpa said that when he went into the water he went straight to the bottom, about 15 feet he said.  He told me that he dropped his rifle and had to shed his pack to  get back to the surface.  He said when he came up he was completely disoriented with all of the shelling, gunfire, and screaming, and that there was so much smoke he couldn't even tell which way to swim.  He said that many of his fellow Marines drowned before ever making it to the beach.  He said that he was starting to panic and was shoved back underwater by someone.  He paused for quite some time and then said, "look, I'm going to tell you what happened next and I don't care if you believe me or not, but it happened.  When I came back to the surface there was a sailor, maybe10 foot tall, in complete dress white uniform, standing on the water, pointing toward the beach. That's how I got there."  Of course, I had no idea what to say to that, so I was just looking at him.  After a short time he just said, "I can't explain it, but I know what I saw."  When he died at the age of 85 he had 74 grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.  I am the oldest of them.

That story is awesome. But a Marine giving a sailor credit? Seems a tad bit far fetched. 

I'm a bit envious that you got to hear any stories from him. My grandfather never spoke a word of his time in the war. The only thing we know is that he was a pilot in the USAAF. We don't even know what theatre he went to, or for that matter if he ever even made it overseas. And his military record was one of the ones lost in the fire at the national archives. I understand why veterans don't want to talk about their war experiences, but it's a lost piece of history. I do have a Nazi armband with a bullet hole and blood stain that I found in his basement after he died along with a note saying it was taken off an unlucky Kraut. 

2017-11-29 4:31 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro

That story is awesome. But a Marine giving a sailor credit? Seems a tad bit far fetched. 

I'm a bit envious that you got to hear any stories from him. My grandfather never spoke a word of his time in the war. The only thing we know is that he was a pilot in the USAAF. We don't even know what theatre he went to, or for that matter if he ever even made it overseas. And his military record was one of the ones lost in the fire at the national archives. I understand why veterans don't want to talk about their war experiences, but it's a lost piece of history. I do have a Nazi armband with a bullet hole and blood stain that I found in his basement after he died along with a note saying it was taken off an unlucky Kraut. 

I had a really special relationship with him.  As I said, I was the first grandchild.  I have been an avid hunter and fisherman for my entire life.....that gift was bestowed on me by him.  There's quite a bit to talk about all day long in a boat, or in a duck blind......as he aged he eventually got around to telling me a few stories.  I was always aware of his reverence for the cost of what they accomplished.  It was never in a sense of "I don't know how we did that".....but always in a sense of, "man, those guys that I fought with were incredible, and what we accomplished was amazing, and  we are only here because of those who didn't make it". 

I can tell you this,  on two occasions I watched that man snatch the hat off another man's head when he didn't take it off as the flag came by.  Both times those men turned toward him in anger.  I don't know what they saw on his face, but both backed down very quickly. LOL

As I said, I realize that my relationship with him clouds my thinking on topics like we are discussing here.  I'm OK with that.  I just hope I've passed enough of it on to my own children.

2017-11-29 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5231580

User image

Expert
Floriduh
“As I said, I realize that my relationship with him clouds my thinking on topics like we are discussing here”

Well said, this is why this incident above all the other insults we have endured this year really pizzes me off.

2017-11-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio OK, I will concede the joke was inappropriate if someone will recognize the Trump WH for hosting the event in the first place! People say and do crap all the time that is inappropriate, make jokes at the wrong time, say stuff that someone will take offense at, laugh at inappropriate times....ever get the giggles at a funeral? Such things are usually just blown off.....unless you are looking to make the person look bad. So instead of reporting on the Navajo Code Talkers and their attempt to get a museum, and all the heroic things they did and how the WH hosted a special ceremony to honor these 3 Navajo Indians.......all the media is reporting on is "Pocahontas". So sick of the media's hatred of Trump. Inappropriate? OK, fine...so f'ing what?! Not exactly going to change the course of history!

I'm curious to see if your opinion changes after you get a chance to watch the full video. I thought Gen. Kelly gave the type of speech Trump should have given. And probably would have given if he had actually read his prepared speech. But he had to go off-script. I don't get his name-calling attacks, seems a bit childish to me. But he won the election talking like that so clearly it's working for him. The thing is, there's a time and a place, and this absolutely wasn't it. If he wants to mock Crooked Hillary or Lyin Ted or Pocahontas Warren when he's out talking to a union hall or meeting the Superbowl winning team, whatever. But there are certain events where a president has to act, I don't know, presidential. 

The pocahontas thing is getting all the press, but like Stacers mentioned, it's the way he talked to them like they were toddlers that really bothered me. "I assume you're the young one in the group. Are you the young one in the group? Huh?" Ugh, no. 

Sorry, I totally forgot about watching the video last night. I agree that had he given his prepared speech it would have better but once he heard the Navajo's speech he realized his speech would duplicate/undermine/upstage the Navajo's speech and so got off-script and, as he is prone to do, stepped on this d. I still think he (his administration) deserves credit for hosting the event in the first place.

I too think the name calling is ridiculous but in his mind, it has served him well as he defeated 16 other GOP candidates. The one exception is the moniker he hung on Crooked Hillary. Oh, and I think the name calling of the NK leader is an intentional attempt to goad him into doing something stupid so we have an 'excuse' to take him out.

2017-11-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

Shared this with my wife....she said it gave her goosebumps!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Politically incorrect Rss Feed  

of 2