BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-02-13 5:28 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Progress Report

The group had some impressive workout totals last week!  Janet!  Wow, over nine-hours on the bike - way to add time in the saddle!

Our weight may not be where we want it, but it sure looks like progress is being made!  Rebecca - down four-pounds!  Perhaps you should get a tattoo every week!

Remember - 

Never let a stumble in the road be the end of the journey.

(0213.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0213.jpg (78KB - 4 downloads)

2018-02-13 5:37 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge

Originally posted by lutzman 

Scott:

You crack me up. I'm talking about having a recovery day....then look at your training for the week. You put in more time IN THE POOL than I did for all my workouts for the week!

If you don't swim better than fish there is something wrong!

Steve

Hey Steve,

It's widely known that swimmers are crazy and put in ridiculous time in the water.    While I'm not sure I can call myself a swimmer any longer, there's probably still a little bit of that craziness deep down inside somewhere.  My fingers don't look like prunes and my hair isn't green from chlorine so I could still swim more!

I think I just graduated to "Guppy."  I still have a long way to go before I get back to "better than fish."

2018-02-13 5:48 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Your Go-To Treadmill Workout?

Originally posted by wenceslasz

. . . I think I'm going to keep doing these 50's.  It felt to me that I was feeling faster or smoother in the water.  At least I want to think so.

George,

You probably were faster and smoother.  The combination of shorter interval with appropriate rest allows you to maintain technique.  Proper technique allows you to swim faster, smoother, and more efficiently.  More importantly, that proper technique is being stored to muscle memory - which means you're making positive changes to your overall swim mechanics.

2018-02-13 11:00 AM
in reply to: Turner100

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN)
I finished. That was my goal. I probably ran half and walked half, and I'm ok with that since I didn't train right.

I did end up with two blue toenails, and had to have one of them removed because it was so bad. Since then, I've not been able to do any training. I still can't wear closed toe shoes without pain. I am going to be working with a trainer today and hope to get into the pool tomorrow.

My goal is to get back to training full time by next week. I have a relay tri on the 24th (I am doing the swim) and then an Olympic in May that I want to be all trained up for.
2018-02-13 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all,
I've been knocked off my feet with a tenacious stomach virus. Hoping the weight-loss will last until next Sunday.

Sorry I'm late:
0 - gained wt.
+4 for 246 mins. workout

total for week +3

Mitzi
2018-02-13 11:07 AM

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
So, I need some advice...

I did my first half marathon on Super Bowl Sunday and ended up with two black/blue toenails. One of them had to be removed. Since then, I have not been able to wear closed toe shoes. I am hoping the pain will be less next week, and I can actually wear something besides flip flops.

My question is, has anyone ever used toe caps? I was poking around online and found different kinds. Before I spend the money, I wanted to know if anyone has ever used them, specifically with a missing big toenail.

Thanks

Heide

2018-02-13 11:13 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

. . . On the tread mill, I have noticed that after I get through the warm-up and have found the steady state belt speed that keeps my HR at its target that I can cruise for about 3 miles into the work out without touching the belt speed and without my HR rising.  That speed is about 45 sec/mi faster than my average pace outside at the same HR

Curtis (and Steve?),

I also see a significant difference between my treadmill pace and my outdoor pace at the same heart rate.  I'm curious what you attribute this too.  I'd also like very much to hear from Steve as he's a pretty quick runner also.  I've always attributed most of the difference to the belt being motor driven thus making it a bit "easier" to run.  That said, I've often wondered how much of that difference may be aerodynamic drag when you are running outdoors.

What say you?  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Scott/Curtis:

Agreed, I've noticed the same. I'm not sure if the miles/minute pacing they show is just inflated or because it's easier to get the leg turnover on the TM you achieve a faster pace. Maybe both? On the "inflation" argument I would cite the calorie counters on every treadmill I've ever run on as a reason to be suspicious. They all seem to inflate calories burned. From my reading of the literature, it's pretty established that running burns between 100-125 calories per mile...regardless of pace. Run harder burn a little more, walk and burn 100. It seems like I get on a TM and suddenly I'm burning (according to their counter) 150 calories per mile? So if the calories are inflated, maybe the pacing is as well?

In any case, to the point made by Curtis, it is easier to get faster leg turnover on a TM. With no acceleration effort required, all you have to do is focus on picking 'em up and putting 'em down and suddenly you're faster than you run outside. I believe this can ultimately contribute to helping adjust to faster paced running outdoors...in the same way that spinning at a higher cadence (100+) makes the effort to push a steady 80-85 feel much more comfortable.

I concluded a while ago that to match my TM pace closer to the same effort required for that pace outdoors I had to raise a slight elevation in the TM ramp...say at least 1%. To me, running with 0% elevation on TM is like running downhill. It's still running, but I don't think the same training benefit is created.

That said, Scott you can forget about your treadmill workouts. 4-7% grade. Yuck. It looks like a great workout, but I'm pretty sure I'd be dead.

Best,

Steve
2018-02-13 11:20 AM

Hi everyone. Is there room in the group for a newbie? I hope so.
If there is I'll write up bio/introduction.
Thanks.
Carl.
2018-02-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: Homebush

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Homebush

So, I need some advice...

I did my first half marathon on Super Bowl Sunday and ended up with two black/blue toenails. One of them had to be removed. Since then, I have not been able to wear closed toe shoes. I am hoping the pain will be less next week, and I can actually wear something besides flip flops.

My question is, has anyone ever used toe caps? I was poking around online and found different kinds. Before I spend the money, I wanted to know if anyone has ever used them, specifically with a missing big toenail.

Thanks

Heide

Heide--first and foremost, congratulations on your half-marathon. It takes significant fitness to cover a half marathon and it isn't accomplished without commitment and dedication. Good on you!

Sorry, I have no experience with toe caps so I can't speak to the effectiveness. It's possible they work wonders. Now that you're missing a toenail, your options may be limited on how you address the problem so you can keep training while you recover.

Have you experience this problem before? Even tenderness/redness on one of your toenails after a training run can indicate that there is some type of a rubbing problem that can blow up on race day. It's not exactly rare that to hear of people having black toenails after a half or full marathon, but I believe it is usually linked to one of two causes: 1) Using different shoes that have not been fully broken in or worn for distance in training or, 2) using the same shoes but running a distance or pace that is different from training. Point being, if you've trained in your shoes over approximate race distance and run at/near race pace for longer tempo runs, you really shouldn't suddenly develop this issue on race day.

People sometimes run into weird issues on race day because your shoes/feet can get very wet running through the water stations. You do all your training runs with dry feet and suddenly race day cups of water are being dumped on your feet every two miles going through the aid stations. Once your feet start moving around in wet shoes, bad things can happen.

Longer term, you might think about an alternative shoe that has a different cut in the toe box. There are good resources online for researching running shoes which often include insights on the size of the toe box and width. Or, try a dedicated running store vs. a standard retail outlet. The dedicated running store will usually have people on staff that can identify a shoe that fits your running style (neutral vs. cushioned for example) as well as one that has ample room for your type of foot.

As an aside, I spent the money to have a podiatrist build custom ortho inserts for shoes probably 20 years ago. I'm still using the same ones that I just pop out and put in the new shoes each time I change. The beauty is that with the inserts my foot is stable and in the correct position at all times...and won't move much even if the shoe gets wet and starts to expand. Best of all, you never have to break in a shoe again. Moving the insert into the new shoe makes it feel like an old friend. If you continue to have issues, its something to think about.

Best of luck,

Steve

2018-02-13 11:50 AM

Thanks Steve.

I had on shoes that were fit for me and I've run good distances in them. The mistake I made was to wear a different type of sock. I think that was the problem.

I had shoe inserts fit for my feet at a running store, but they are the foam kind that mold to your feet, not solid surface ones. Maybe I'll ask the podiatrist when I go back next week.

I appreciate your response.
2018-02-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: Mostly_Coffee

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Mostly_Coffee

Thanks.
Carl.

Hi Carl:

Thanks for reaching out. We would be glad to have you in our group. It's a great group with a lot of varying levels of experience, so you can get good feedback on just about any Triathlon related subject.

We really only ask two things. First, post up your bio so everyone in the group can get to know you. Second, regularly participate in the forum. It's a better forum when we're all engaged and sharing ideas. There is no "one size fits all" so hearing from members with different ideas/feedback is always helpful.

It's also not too late to join the weight loss challenge if you want it.

Let us know how we can help!

Best,

Steve

2018-02-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks. Carl.

Hi Carl,

There's always room for one more!  Welcome.  When you get a chance, please post a bio so we can get to know you just a bit.

You may have noticed, we have an ongoing weight-loss/workout challenge.  If you'd like to participate, hop on the scale and jot down your weight.  Every Sunday we do a "weigh-in."  Then we report our weight loss/gain for the previous week.  We also report training time in tri-related sports - swim/bike/run, strength/core work, yoga.  We're still early in the challenge so you have plenty of time to rocket to the top.

ETA - I should have looked before I posted.  Steve beat me to it!

Edited by k9car363 2018-02-13 1:11 PM
2018-02-13 1:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Scott/Curtis: Agreed, I've noticed the same. I'm not sure if the miles/minute pacing they show is just inflated or because it's easier to get the leg turnover on the TM you achieve a faster pace. Maybe both? On the "inflation" argument I would cite the calorie counters on every treadmill I've ever run on as a reason to be suspicious. They all seem to inflate calories burned. From my reading of the literature, it's pretty established that running burns between 100-125 calories per mile...regardless of pace. Run harder burn a little more, walk and burn 100. It seems like I get on a TM and suddenly I'm burning (according to their counter) 150 calories per mile? So if the calories are inflated, maybe the pacing is as well? In any case, to the point made by Curtis, it is easier to get faster leg turnover on a TM. With no acceleration effort required, all you have to do is focus on picking 'em up and putting 'em down and suddenly you're faster than you run outside. I believe this can ultimately contribute to helping adjust to faster paced running outdoors...in the same way that spinning at a higher cadence (100+) makes the effort to push a steady 80-85 feel much more comfortable. I concluded a while ago that to match my TM pace closer to the same effort required for that pace outdoors I had to raise a slight elevation in the TM ramp...say at least 1%. To me, running with 0% elevation on TM is like running downhill. It's still running, but I don't think the same training benefit is created. That said, Scott you can forget about your treadmill workouts. 4-7% grade. Yuck. It looks like a great workout, but I'm pretty sure I'd be dead. Best, Steve

I use a foot-pod on the treadmill so I'm fairly confident in the pace my Garmin is recording.  I don't see a difference in cadence with the faster face though.  I've thought for some time the treadmill itself is "helping" you run - as you both said, it's easier to get the turnover rate.  I still wonder if there might be some aero-drag that's contributing to the  difference.  Short of a wind-tunnel that would be a hard question to answer.

My treadmill lives on 1% incline unless I'm doing hills.  I absolutely agree, running on 0% is like running downhill.

2018-02-13 6:49 PM

Thanks for allowing me to join.

This may be quite long. Apologies in advance.

NAME: Carl (Username Mostly_Coffee simply because I drink so much of the stuff).

STORY: I was never very sporty when I was younger, I used to cycle a lot but I was never competitive and team sports weren't my thing. That being said, I loved being outdoors and me and my friends would always be outside doing something. 2 years ago I was talking to a friend about her triathlon training and her upcoming Half IM and the full IM thereafter. She went home but I was still intrigued and after a bottle of wine was drunk I ended up going on the internet and signing up for a sprint tri. I had not swum for over 30 years, but the last time I had I got my 500m swim distance certificate. I was a frequent cyclist (MTB), and running 5k was just a fast walk. Easy. I was more than qualified, suitably trained, I was going to do it, and I was going to be a total hero. The next morning I woke up, and then I remembered. Ok, wine inspires me, but it clearly has no limits. What had I done? I was nowhere near ready, and only had 6 weeks to go from couch to sprint. Oh well, I was signed up, and I wasn't going to quit before I'd started. Fortunately our nearby Aldi store was selling off their last remnants of one of their previous specials ranges, sports gear. I picked up some absolute bargain reductions; several pairs of cycling shorts and shirts at 75 pence each, goggles for £1, and a trisuit for £4,50p. I started doing some training rides and cycling to work again. I succumbed to buying-fever and bought a road bike and loads of extra bits I "needed". I did some run training and completed a few Parkruns. Sadly my swim was hopeless. I went to the local pool and nearly drowned. I managed all of 50m before I was so tired I thought I was going to die. I came out of the pool with dry hair and no water in my mouth, such was the state of my technique. I skipped any more pool sessions, stupidly, and come race day I got through by pure determination, and a 30 second rest after every 25m length. I finished the tri outside of my 90 minute target (largely due to not getting out of T1 until 39 minutes had gone) but I was not too far outside my goal and I was happy to have finished. I was hooked.
Last year I signed up for an Oly distance in France, coinciding with our wedding anniversary so it was the ideal opportunity for a trip away. My wife was happy at first and very supportive. I have a Pacemaker for a heart problem, and also have degenerative disc disease in my neck, training isn't easy but I managed happily, albeit painfully. Sadly, due to a combination of cancer in the family, work stress and a number of other issues, I developed some mental health problems and was prescribed some meds that took away any emotion and motivation I did have. I gave up alcohol due to almost reaching dependency. I stopped training altogether as I lost touch of who I was and why I was on this forsaken planet. I did no training whatsoever for 6 months. As we approached the trip to France my wife became very unsupportive. I now know she was scared I was going to drown, I had after all only had one half hour lesson in the pool since my sprint and had developed panic attacks just getting near to water. Still, I was going to give it a go, I would rather DNF than Did Not Start. I did the race, first time swimming in a wetsuit, and completed it. I floated around the lake using my arms to pull me forward with my face out of the water the whole time. I loved the bike section despite dropping all of my gels and drink powders in the road less than 2k in, and largely walked the run. Oddly, I didn't come last either. I regret not training as I know I could have done quite well. But I did finish which surprised everyone.
I have just turned 40, but with my neck DDD and a pacemaker I feel twice that. I am off the meds, feeling good again and looking forward to making up for lost time. Something about triathlon gives me hope and a motivation, even if I have only really dipped my toe into the water (excuse the pun). I feel that I have unfinished business. I have to conquer my swimming demons, I have to run all the way, and if DDD is going to eventually ruin me then I am damn well going to do the impossible before it does. 2019 will be Half IM, 2020 will be the full distance. Incidentally it looks like my pacemaker is due for change in 2021 based on current battery stats.
I may have a short attention span for most things, but if I start to obsess then there is no stopping me. Triathlon has become that obsession. Stubbornness or determination, I'll leave that up to you to decide, but at the moment it is my best chance of doing this.

FAMILY STATUS : Married to an amazing woman and together we have two wonderful and beautiful daughters, aged 16 & 11. Honestly, I count my blessings every day that she decided to spend her life with me.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very minimal; only just getting back into it and now doing approximately 5-10 hours per week at the gym, with a mixture of cardio and resistance work to try and steadily build my base fitness up without causing injury.

2018 PLANNED RACES: Nothing planned....yet....but may do a sprint or two. I will likely concentrate on events such as Parkrun and some local 10k runs for no other reason than the experience of doing it alongside lots of other people. My real plan for 2018 is to get my training and fitness levels up to speed, and to sort out my swim.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've been fluctuating around the 15st (210lb) mark for too long due to the meds and would like to get down to 13st (182lb) by the end of the year.

REASON FOR SIGNING UP: Plain and simple, accountability and motivation. I doubt I can offer any advice, but I can offer support and love to see other people achieving their goals.

Thanks for reading.

Carl.
2018-02-13 8:43 PM

User image

Regular

Thanks for allowing me to join.

This may be quite long. Apologies in advance.

NAME: Carl (Username Mostly_Coffee simply because I drink so much of the stuff).

STORY: I was never very sporty when I was younger, I used to cycle a lot but I was never competitive and team sports weren't my thing. That being said, I loved being outdoors and me and my friends would always be outside doing something. 2 years ago I was talking to a friend about her triathlon training and her upcoming Half IM and the full IM thereafter. She went home but I was still intrigued and after a bottle of wine was drunk I ended up going on the internet and signing up for a sprint tri. I had not swum for over 30 years, but the last time I had I got my 500m swim distance certificate.
REASON FOR SIGNING UP: Plain and simple, accountability and motivation. I doubt I can offer any advice, but I can offer support and love to see other people achieving their goals.

Thanks for reading.

Carl.

Carl:

That's a compelling story. Thank you for sharing.

We all start in different places. Some us can't swim, some can't bike, some can't run...some, well, a measure of all three. But in reality, it's not about the"can't", it's really about the "I can and I will."

I started Triathlon in 2011 after running for probably 35 years. I hadn't put my toe in a pool since my sophomore year of High
school. I absolutely relate to your story above of swimming one lap in the pool and then holding the side panting like a dog. But with a little consistency and diligence, I got better. I'll never be "good" but I will at least be competitive with a lot of the other gray guys.

A few suggestions:

1) Try to commit to a real training plan. The consistency will not only improve your fitness but will change your race day experience from one of "just finish" to "have a fabulous amount of fun."

2) Consistency. Whatever plan you adopt, make sure it's realistic given your time to train, distance/access to a pool, family requirements, etc. In my opinion, it's better to have a plan you can complete that is realistic vs. a plan that looks great on paper but gives negative feedback because you're forced to miss the workouts on a regular basis.

3) Focus on keeping it fun.

4) Make sure you're doctor is on board with your training plans.

Welcome to the group. Let us know how we can help or just share your training stories..

Best,

Steve

2018-02-13 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Here is something for everyone to think about - for the fun of it.  I know I'm going to be thinking a lot about it.

Tonight in my email I received an invite to join Team Penticton to go to Germany to participate in Challenge Roth 2019.  I can get a guaranteed spot on a race that sells out every year...and there will be beer.  (sounds like I like beer but only on hot days after a hard effort).

I don't think I can do the full distance but I could do the swim or bike on a relay team.  But, I'd prefer to do the full event - greater glory?  I'd need the bike to be flat, flat, flat!  Or, maybe, the swim and the bike.

There is a lot of time between then and now and lots could happen to make it impractical for me.  Like if there are no others to form a relay team.

Carl - welcome to the group.

2018-02-14 5:41 AM

A few suggestions:

1) Try to commit to a real training plan. The consistency will not only improve your fitness but will change your race day experience from one of "just finish" to "have a fabulous amount of fun."

2) Consistency. Whatever plan you adopt, make sure it's realistic given your time to train, distance/access to a pool, family requirements, etc. In my opinion, it's better to have a plan you can complete that is realistic vs. a plan that looks great on paper but gives negative feedback because you're forced to miss the workouts on a regular basis.

3) Focus on keeping it fun.

4) Make sure you're doctor is on board with your training plans.

Welcome to the group. Let us know how we can help or just share your training stories..

Best,

Steve

Thanks Steve.
Yes my doctor is very positive with triathlon training. In fact, both my pacemaker technician and physiotherapist do triathlons too.

Here is something for everyone to think about - for the fun of it.  I know I'm going to be thinking a lot about it.

Tonight in my email I received an invite to join Team Penticton to go to Germany to participate in Challenge Roth 2019.  I can get a guaranteed spot on a race that sells out every year...and there will be beer.  (sounds like I like beer but only on hot days after a hard effort).

I don't think I can do the full distance but I could do the swim or bike on a relay team.  But, I'd prefer to do the full event - greater glory?  I'd need the bike to be flat, flat, flat!  Or, maybe, the swim and the bike.

There is a lot of time between then and now and lots could happen to make it impractical for me.  Like if there are no others to form a relay team.

This sounds awesome. I appreciate Canada to Germany may be one hell of a trek but you should really pay this some consideration. Bavaria is one of the best parts of the country and in my opinion the beer is the best in the world, worth the flight alone (well, in terms of lager type beers anyway, we all know the Belgian Trappists are the best).
The area isn't known for being flat which may be an issue for you, I don't know, but a quick look at the route and it would seem there's a tough, steep, half mile long hill, on the bike, and I think it's 2 laps of the bike route. 2019 leaves plenty of time to prepare though.
2018-02-14 8:40 AM
in reply to: Homebush

User image

Regular

Thanks Steve.

I had on shoes that were fit for me and I've run good distances in them. The mistake I made was to wear a different type of sock. I think that was the problem.

I had shoe inserts fit for my feet at a running store, but they are the foam kind that mold to your feet, not solid surface ones. Maybe I'll ask the podiatrist when I go back next week.

Hi Heide:

I think it's definitely worth discussing with your podiatrist...especially if you plan to run more.

I got inserts after developing shin splints. The podiatrist recommended hard insets based on my foot plant which was causing my ankle to roll inward with every stride. It cured the problem....and since it was a medical issue my insurance paid most of the tab. Hard inserts really do work great in holding your foot in place.

Hope you're back at full speed soon!

Steve
2018-02-14 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott - yeah, 9 hours is a long time for me on the bike (it was actually 13.5 hours over the 9 days of the tour) and certain parts of my anatomy are enjoying a couple days off .  I enjoyed doing it though - it was a challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing how/if it improved my biking when I'm able to get back outside to ride.  

Heide - congrats on your HM!

Carl - welcome to the group!

I'm starting to work walking/running back into my workout schedule this week but I seem to have lost all motivation to get in the pool.  I set my alarm twice this week to get up early and go for a swim and both times I stayed in bed .  I know some of it is issues with where I swim (lap lane availability sucks), but mostly it's just me not wanting to get up and go.  I've heard that there's a masters swim near me although I can't seem to find any information on it.  Might have to check with the tri club - I think some of them go to it.  Having someone to swim with might just get me out of bed in the morning.  I'm also hoping that the swim camp on Sunday will give my motivation a boost.  10-1/2 weeks until my first tri of the season, a super sprint. 

Janet

2018-02-14 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks Steve.

Heide,

Steve's pretty well addressed this so I don't have a great deal to add.  However, there is one thing, and this is for everyone's benefit - nothing new on race day.  Not EVER.  If you haven't used it in training, don't use it the first time on race day.  That goes to everything from hydration/nutrition plan to equipment choices; from race morning meal to race strategy.

I worked with an athlete a few years ago who was working towards his first 140.6.  His plan was to be self-sufficient and carry his own nutrition during the race.  At the last minute, he decided to use the gels provided in the aid stations during the run.  He'd never used the type of gel available on the race course.  Within a mile of taking in the first one, he developed severe GI issues that ultimately forced him to DNF.  Nearly a year of training was compromised because he ingested a 1.2-ounce gel on race day that he'd never used before.

I heard somewhere you know you're "really" a runner when you've had a black toenail or lost a toenail!

Edited by k9car363 2018-02-14 12:27 PM
2018-02-14 2:07 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

. . . On the tread mill, I have noticed that after I get through the warm-up and have found the steady state belt speed that keeps my HR at its target that I can cruise for about 3 miles into the work out without touching the belt speed and without my HR rising.  That speed is about 45 sec/mi faster than my average pace outside at the same HR.  So the Tread mill work out is great for training for a higher run cadence.  :-)  After 3 mile I see my HR drift and I have to knock the belt speed down to maintain a constant HR.  Every mile after that I have to drop the belt speed about 15 sec/mi to keep my HR steady until I get to my outdoor run speed.  I can pretty much run at my average outdoor pace after I get to it with out the HR climbing any higher than it does at that pace running outdoors.

Curtis (and Steve?),

I also see a significant difference between my treadmill pace and my outdoor pace at the same heart rate.  I'm curious what you attribute this too.  I'd also like very much to hear from Steve as he's a pretty quick runner also.  I've always attributed most of the difference to the belt being motor driven thus making it a bit "easier" to run.  That said, I've often wondered how much of that difference may be aerodynamic drag when you are running outdoors.

What say you?  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Yes...I attribute it to the belt being motor driven.

When I was n grade school I remember coming across an inclined tread mill without a motorized belt.  The belt was on rollers and you had to run to make the belt move (i don't think I have ever seen one like that since then).  On that tread mill you had to push off the same way as you do out doors.  With the motorized belts you don't have to push off.  All you have to do is pick up your foot and move it forward. You are reducing the friction between your foot and the ground when you are on the tread mill because instead of pushing against the ground you are just letting you foot fall in sync with the belt speed.

The aero drag may have something to with it too. I can defiantly feel the drag when it is windy outside.

2018-02-14 2:17 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott - yeah, 9 hours is a long time for me on the bike (it was actually 13.5 hours over the 9 days of the tour) and certain parts of my anatomy are enjoying a couple days off .  I enjoyed doing it though - it was a challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing how/if it improved my biking when I'm able to get back outside to ride.  

Heide - congrats on your HM!

Carl - welcome to the group!

I'm starting to work walking/running back into my workout schedule this week but I seem to have lost all motivation to get in the pool.  I set my alarm twice this week to get up early and go for a swim and both times I stayed in bed .  I know some of it is issues with where I swim (lap lane availability sucks), but mostly it's just me not wanting to get up and go.  I've heard that there's a masters swim near me although I can't seem to find any information on it.  Might have to check with the tri club - I think some of them go to it.  Having someone to swim with might just get me out of bed in the morning.  I'm also hoping that the swim camp on Sunday will give my motivation a boost.  10-1/2 weeks until my first tri of the season, a super sprint. 

Janet

I'd forgotten you were doing the "Tour of Sufferlandria."  Now I understand the hours and the painful anatomical parts.

Working out with a Masters Swim Team could be beneficial.  Having a group of friends that "expect" you to show up at practice is a powerful motivator on those cold mornings when the snooze button is calling your name.

2018-02-14 2:37 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks for allowing me to join. This may be quite long. Apologies in advance.

. . . Triathlon has become that obsession. Stubbornness or determination, I'll leave that up to you to decide, but at the moment it is my best chance of doing this.

Thanks for reading. Carl.

Carl,

Wow!  Thank you for sharing.

I can't suggest strongly enough that you develop a plan and follow it  Whether you use one of the free plans available here on BT, you find a plan elsewhere, or you create your own - find a plan, customize it to YOU, and follow it.  Without a plan, you'll be like a leaf in the wind - you'll get blown to and fro and won't have any real direction. With a plan, you'll be like a train on a track - steadfastly making progress towards a set destination.

There's a great group of people here that are only too happy to help to please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Oh, and don't worry about being long.  I'm WAY ahead of you there.  Sometimes you just have to write long to fully express your thought.  At least that's what I've told people as they look at one of my posts and roll their eyes.

Welcome, I look forward to sharing your journey.

2018-02-14 7:54 PM

User image

Regular

George--you HAVE TO DO THIS! How many opportunities does a person get to race with friends in a foreign land...especially a fabulous place like Germany! Grab it if you can. Tomorrow hold no guarantees for any of us.

Hope it works out for you.

Best,

Steve
2018-02-15 11:18 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: What's Holding You Back

I was talking to one of the athlete's I work with a couple of days ago.  We got talking about achieving goals. That led to an interesting discussion on what's holding this particular athlete back.

That question has lingered in my mind for a couple of days now as I realized I"m facing the very same issues as that athlete.  Each of us has something, maybe several somethings, that's holding us back from achieving our athletic goals or attaining athletic excellence.

I'd like to challenge everyone to take a few minutes.  Can you identify what's holding you back?

For me, "conflicting priorities" are holding me back.  Achieving my athletic goals requires I put laser-like focus on those goals and the steps necessary to achieve them.  However, since I formally opened a coaching business, that has become increasingly important. Both sets of goals require me to focus.  Unfortunately, there's only 24-hours in a day.  When I'm working out, I'm not fully invested in working out because my thoughts drift to coaching.  When I'm working on coaching duties, my thoughts drift to the workout that I could have done better.  It's becoming increasingly apparent I need to revisit my priorities and re-define what the top priority is.  I can't have my cake and eat it too.

So what about you?  What's holding you back?  Once you identify what's holding you back, what do you need to do to "fix" it?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9225 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 925 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf