BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-02-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Progress Report

Here's the updated challenge numbers -

(0213.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0213.jpg (80KB - 4 downloads)

2018-02-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Weight Loss challenge 2-12
Originally posted by BakerBryan

I love the fact that you went with your daughter to get a tattoo.

That was my mistake Bryan. I went to "check out" the tattoo shop since a friend sent her there.
Next thing I know.........
2018-02-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss challenge 2-12

Originally posted by Onurleft20
Originally posted by BakerBryan I love the fact that you went with your daughter to get a tattoo.
That was my mistake Bryan. I went to "check out" the tattoo shop since a friend sent her there. Next thing I know.........

Didn't Jimmy Buffet say something similar? 

". . . how it got there, I haven't a clue."  

2018-02-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Upside down psychology when you don't want to work out
There are plenty of days when I'm not very motivated to go work out. Like today, but I'll come back to that in a moment. The simplest success strategy for getting in shape vs. not seems to be developing the capacity to consistently ignore the excuses and just getting it done. The more consistently I work out, it easier that choice becomes.

Then there are days like this morning when I REALLY don't want to work out. I woke up not feeling well at all...and that inner voice was working overtime to get me to pull the plug on the workout. But I pulled on my gear and drove down to our local running/biking trail. Fortunately, our trail has multiple pit stops. I not only felt lousy but a major GI issue was wrecking my gut and I was forced to make urgent (and I do me URGENT) stops at each of the porta potties in the first three miles. At each stop I was even more tempted to walk back to the car and just try again tomorrow. But it wasn't like I was feeling worse, so I just kept going. And then an ever weirder thing happened...I actually had a pretty good run for the last three miles. I not only finished with a respectable workout but reveled in some major psychic income for pushing through despite feeling like crap.

All this got me to thinking about an odd psychological phenomenon. I've noticed over the years that on the days that I think I feel the worst...or the days when I REALLY don't want to work out and the inner voice is giving me lots of solid excuses why I can skip the workout, those are the exact workouts that somehow end up feeling the most satisfying.

Today was an extreme example, but it got me to thinking about this odd, upside down psychology. Getting it done when you're not at your best can provide some of the most satisfying training experiences (assuming you survive).

Any one else notice this, or am I just totally messed up?

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-02-15 3:22 PM
2018-02-15 9:26 PM

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
Hi Scott and group,

I'd love to join you if you've got a little room!

NAME: strombo1 (BT screen name) / Stephanie Trombino

STORY: I was never an athlete. At 46 I started working with a personal trainer, and by 47 was in the best shape of my life. I signed up for a sprint triathlon because I am a good (but slow) swimmer, the rest seemed doable enough, and it sounded really cool. I found BT and trained based on suggestions here. I did one sprint in May 2010. It was miserable - cold, raining and windy enough that they cancelled the bike leg. Fortunately, I also did one in June that was wonderful.

Then I met my husband-to-be, who wanted to spend time together and eat real meals. I promptly stopped exercising, started eating and gained 75 pounds. It's taken seven years to start over, but I think I feel a genuine health kick finally coming on. Lemme tell ya, starting over at 54 is a lot harder than it was at 46!!!

A couple of weeks ago, plantar fasciitis poked at my heel. My chiro/sports med guy evaluated my feet and shoes, gave me a couple of stretches for posture, and sent me to a good running store to get properly fitted. What a huge difference! Running has always hurt. Now I'm still super weak, but no pain!

FAMILY STATUS: Yep, he married me at my fattest in Sept 2014. We share our home with two dogs, five cats, a turtle, and a goldfish. And the occasional litter of foster kittens.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm focusing on building overall endurance, but especially running. There's a gym in my office building, and I try to get there every day, My planned weekly routine is 2-3 days running, 1-2 days spin bike and 1 day weights/core. Actual mileage varies. I'd like to add a couple of swimming sessions, but so far that hasn't materialized.

2018 PLANNED RACES: Espirit de She Triathlon sprint in Naperville, IL, June 10. 4 months... looking iffy.

WEIGHTLOSS: 40 pounds, 180 to 140.

Looking forward to helping each other out!
2018-02-15 10:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by strombo1

Hi Scott and group, 

I'd love to join you if you've got a little room!

NAME: strombo1 (BT screen name) / Stephanie Trombino

STORY: I was never an athlete. At 46 I started working with a personal trainer, and by 47 was in the best shape of my life. I signed up for a sprint triathlon because I am a good (but slow) swimmer, the rest seemed doable enough, and it sounded really cool. I found BT and trained based on suggestions here. I did one sprint in May 2010. It was miserable - cold, raining and windy enough that they cancelled the bike leg. Fortunately, I also did one in June that was wonderful. Then I met my husband-to-be, who wanted to spend time together and eat real meals. I promptly stopped exercising, started eating and gained 75 pounds. It's taken seven years to start over, but I think I feel a genuine health kick finally coming on. Lemme tell ya, starting over at 54 is a lot harder than it was at 46!!! A couple of weeks ago, plantar fasciitis poked at my heel. My chiro/sports med guy evaluated my feet and shoes, gave me a couple of stretches for posture, and sent me to a good running store to get properly fitted. What a huge difference! Running has always hurt. Now I'm still super weak, but no pain!

FAMILY STATUS: Yep, he married me at my fattest in Sept 2014. We share our home with two dogs, five cats, a turtle, and a goldfish. And the occasional litter of foster kittens.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm focusing on building overall endurance, but especially running. There's a gym in my office building, and I try to get there every day, My planned weekly routine is 2-3 days running, 1-2 days spin bike and 1 day weights/core. Actual mileage varies. I'd like to add a couple of swimming sessions, but so far that hasn't materialized.

2018 PLANNED RACES: Espirit de She Triathlon sprint in Naperville, IL, June 10. 4 months... looking iffy.

WEIGHTLOSS: 40 pounds, 180 to 140. Looking forward to helping each other out!

Hi Stephanie,

Yes, we always have room!  Welcome.

Four-months is plenty of time to develop base fitness and put yourself in position to finish your June sprint.  Two things that will help - have a plan.  Whether that's one of the free plans here on BT or you find one elsewhere, have a written plan.  Once you have the plan, consistency is the real key to success.  We have great bunch of people here that are happy to answer any questions you might have so please don't hesitate to ask.

You may have noticed we have a weight-loss/workout challenge going.  You can find the details probably a couple of pages back at this point.  If you'd like to participate, simply jot down your current weight.  Every Sunday we do a weigh-in and then post your gain/loss and your workout minutes for the week.  Somehow, seeing your name on a chart with numbers next to it provides some motivation.

We really only ask one thing - that you participate in the forum.  None of us has all the answers so hearing from members with different ideas, opinions, and feedback is always helpful.

Again, welcome to Gray Guys/Gals.

Edited by k9car363 2018-02-15 10:59 PM

2018-02-15 10:55 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Upside down psychology when you don't want to work out

Originally posted by lutzman There are plenty of days when I'm not very motivated to go work out. Like today, but I'll come back to that in a moment. The simplest success strategy for getting in shape vs. not seems to be developing the capacity to consistently ignore the excuses and just getting it done. The more consistently I work out, it easier that choice becomes. 

Hey Steve,

I experience this same thing on a regular basis.  In my case, it generally revolves around swimming.  Workout starts at 5:00a.  It's 63.7 miles from my driveway to the pool parking lot - meaning I have to be on the road a little before 4.  When the alarm goes off, the negotiation in my head immediately begins.  Like you, a calm inner voice begins to give all the reasons why I should just pull the covers up and go back to sleep.  As if the early call isn't bad enough, it's winter, so we've had a few mornings where the inner voice really had some good arguments.  One morning in particular, the wind chill was about 10 below zero, there was 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and more was coming down.

I agree with you, the more consistently you are working out, the easier it is to ignore that inner voice.  The more times you tell that inner voice "NO," the easier it is to ignore the inner voice the next time.

2018-02-16 9:25 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman There are plenty of days when I'm not very motivated to go work out. Like today, but I'll come back to that in a moment. The simplest success strategy for getting in shape vs. not seems to be developing the capacity to consistently ignore the excuses and just getting it done. The more consistently I work out, it easier that choice becomes. 

Hey Steve,

I experience this same thing on a regular basis.  In my case, it generally revolves around swimming.  Workout starts at 5:00a.  It's 63.7 miles from my driveway to the pool parking lot - meaning I have to be on the road a little before 4..

64 miles, each way to the pool? Man, that is truly awe-inspiring dedication, You have to swim A LOT just to have more time in the pool than you do on the road. I admit it....I've blown off swim workouts because I didn't want to drive to the pool....it's 3 miles. There's a glimpse into why I'm a mediocre swimmer!

Good on you!

Steve
2018-02-16 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

X2 on Scott's 64 mile commute.  My local pool is about 3 miles like Steve's as well.  Scott - don't be too hard on yourself - if road conditions are bad - stay home!  Especially with high windchill factors.  Maybe go for coffee instead.

2018-02-16 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey Steve,

I experience this same thing on a regular basis.  In my case, it generally revolves around swimming.  Workout starts at 5:00a.  It's 63.7 miles from my driveway to the pool parking lot - meaning I have to be on the road a little before 4.  When the alarm goes off, the negotiation in my head immediately begins.  Like you, a calm inner voice begins to give all the reasons why I should just pull the covers up and go back to sleep.  As if the early call isn't bad enough, it's winter, so we've had a few mornings where the inner voice really had some good arguments.  One morning in particular, the wind chill was about 10 below zero, there was 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and more was coming down.

I agree with you, the more consistently you are working out, the easier it is to ignore that inner voice.  The more times you tell that inner voice "NO," the easier it is to ignore the inner voice the next time.

Now you're making me feel really guilty about not getting to the pool this week .  At least mine's only a 10 min drive away.  I have that same inner voice though - always giving me lots of excuses to skip the workouts.  You asked before what's keeping us from reaching our goals.  In my case, I think it's mostly just me getting in my own way.  I know what I want and I know what I need to do to get there -  it's just a matter of making myself do it (like getting out of bed in the morning to go for a swim). I find it way too easy to talk myself out of doing something - certainly a lot easier than talking myself into doing it.  The days when I don't think too much or too hard about it and just do it - those are usually my better workouts and I'm never sorry that I did them.  That's also the good thing about having a plan.  The workout is already set for me, I don't need to think about what I'm going to do or how to do it, I can just get out and do it.  

Janet

2018-02-16 12:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

64 miles, each way to the pool? Man, that is truly awe-inspiring dedication, You have to swim A LOT just to have more time in the pool than you do on the road. I admit it....I've blown off swim workouts because I didn't want to drive to the pool....it's 3 miles. There's a glimpse into why I'm a mediocre swimmer! Good on you! Steve

I'm not so sure 64 miles is evidence of dedication so much as it's just more proof that swimmers are, by definition, crazy.  I was swimming 6-8 hours a day by the time I was 13.  Doing crazy things in the pursuit of becoming a better swimmer has always been part of my paradigm.  No sense in changing at this late date.

2018-02-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

X2 on Scott's 64 mile commute.  My local pool is about 3 miles like Steve's as well.  Scott - don't be too hard on yourself - if road conditions are bad - stay home!  Especially with high windchill factors.  Maybe go for coffee instead.

LOL, that's EXACTLY what my inner voice said just his morning!

2018-02-16 2:13 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: What's Holding You Back

I was talking to one of the athlete's I work with a couple of days ago.  We got talking about achieving goals. That led to an interesting discussion on what's holding this particular athlete back.

That question has lingered in my mind for a couple of days now as I realized I"m facing the very same issues as that athlete.  Each of us has something, maybe several somethings, that's holding us back from achieving our athletic goals or attaining athletic excellence.

I'd like to challenge everyone to take a few minutes.  Can you identify what's holding you back?

I think I define my goals with my priorities in mind. Yes, I could attain higher athletic excellence if it were a higher priority but it isn't so my goals aren't as high at they could be. 

I feel I am achieving my athletic goals.  If I ever get to a point where I don't feel that I am it will be time for me to try something new.  For now Triathlon is what I enjoy most though so I am sticking with it.   

2018-02-16 2:27 PM

User image

New user

I think my high school Cross Country coach pointed out that some of our best runs came from the days we didn't want to be there. "That's when champions are made" or something along those lines. It's easy to put in the work when everything is perfectly aligned, but that never happens. I would say that it still rings true though.

X3 on Scott's commute WHAT!! I'm also 2.5 miles from my gym, with another location 7 miles. I've been known to run to them, jump in the pool and run home. AND I still want to get an infinity pool for my home.

With some of the earlier discussions around our goals and what's holding us back. I think mentally I'm struggling with being in "recovery" mode. So I'm going to go head and start looking for a couple of races. I enjoy "training" for something and not just working out for health, fitness or base endurance. So I'll keep you all informed.
2018-02-16 7:15 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Now you're making me feel really guilty about not getting to the pool this week .  At least mine's only a 10 min drive away.  I have that same inner voice though - always giving me lots of excuses to skip the workouts.  You asked before what's keeping us from reaching our goals.  In my case, I think it's mostly just me getting in my own way.  I know what I want and I know what I need to do to get there -  it's just a matter of making myself do it (like getting out of bed in the morning to go for a swim). I find it way too easy to talk myself out of doing something - certainly a lot easier than talking myself into doing it.  The days when I don't think too much or too hard about it and just do it - those are usually my better workouts and I'm never sorry that I did them.  That's also the good thing about having a plan.  The workout is already set for me, I don't need to think about what I'm going to do or how to do it, I can just get out and do it.  

Janet

A little trick I learned that has helped me is to have the negotiation in your head BEFORE that inner voice is talking to you, trying to talk you out of doing the workout.  You know as soon as the alarm goes off in the morning, that little voice is going to start.  You know what you are going to hear.  If you have that conversation beforehand, a practice conversation if you will, you will be ready.  When that inner voice tells you it's cold and dark outside, you will already have the answer.  When you hear, 'but you don't REALLY need to swim," you'll have your response ready - "Doing this triathlon is important to me and to do a triathlon I need to swim so YES I do REALLY need to swim."  Arm yourself with responses before the negotiation and you will do much better during the negotiation.

Another thing you can do is use this group as it's designed to be used - for support and encouragement.  You can post here that you are going to do XYZ workout tomorrow - include as many details as you're comfortable with.  Tomorrow, there's a whole group of training partners here that are going to be curious how your workout went.  Once you've "gone public," you've introduced a new level of accountability.  The next day, you can come back to the group and say, "My workout went great," or you can come back and say, "I hit the snooze button and went back to sleep."  I suspect anyone posting a workout publicly would prefer to come back and talk about how great the workout went.

2018-02-16 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Wow!! I only took Wednesday off for Valentine's day (I did swim first though) and I'm way behind.  I've read all the posts but so much to respond to and my short term memory is lacking.

I swam today and managed to swim pretty consistent 50m intervals at the specified rest period (15 secs) and felt good throughout.  I did notice my swims slowed slightly in the last few intervals but my overall average was right on my STP pace.  Because of how I felt today i'm going to go to the pool on the weekend and do my STP test over again.

I'm happy to do more 50m intervals but I think I would like to add some 100's to the mix.

Scott - Is it okay to push the STP to try and swim a bit faster?  

All the treadmill talk has peaked my interest.  We've got a colder week coming up so I may bite the bullet and do some indoor running.  I'll at least set the incline to 1% and run some intervals.

Edited by wenceslasz 2018-02-16 10:02 PM

2018-02-16 10:44 PM
in reply to: Mostly_Coffee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Your Go-To Treadmill Workout?

Carl - I did look at the Roth course maps and the bike would be pretty slow for me so my options are pretty limited for a relay team.  It is hard to justify the trip just for a 90 minute swim.

I think if you talk to a lot of triathletes you'll find most of us struggled with our swims in the beginning.  Everyone has their own beginner stories.  On my first sprint I was 100% certain I was going to drown.  

Steve - I had pretty much talked myself out of Roth until I read your response and I was sucked right back in.  I have a tentative offer to form a relay team just today but I still have a lot of hurdles to overcome.

Stephanie - Welcome to the group.

2018-02-16 10:53 PM
in reply to: #5231907

"A little trick I learned that has helped me is to have the negotiation in your head BEFORE that inner voice is talking to you, trying to talk you out of doing the workout. You know as soon as the alarm goes off in the morning, that little voice is going to start. You know what you are going to hear. If you have that conversation beforehand, a practice conversation if you will, you will be ready. When that inner voice tells you it's cold and dark outside, you will already have the answer. When you hear, 'but you don't REALLY need to swim," you'll have your response ready - "Doing this triathlon is important to me and to do a triathlon I need to swim so YES I do REALLY need to swim." Arm yourself with responses before the negotiation and you will do much better during the negotiation."

Wow. It never occurred to me that those inner chats could be controlled. I've always had them ad-hoc - which hasn't usually worked well. ?? If I focus on how important my goal is, and if I project how good I'll feel later that night if I work out, it's a lot easier to go. Conversely, I know if I don't go, I'll be mad at myself and feel like crap. I'm finally catching on that I'd rather progress and feel good than regress and feel hopeless.
2018-02-17 7:18 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

With some of the earlier discussions around our goals and what's holding us back. I think mentally I'm struggling with being in "recovery" mode. So I'm going to go head and start looking for a couple of races. I enjoy "training" for something and not just working out for health, fitness or base endurance. So I'll keep you all informed.

There's no question that entering a race changes the motivation.  It's one thing to say, "I want to do that race."  It's another thing entirely to find the race, pay an entry fee, and have it on the calendar.

Looking forward to hearing what race(s) you're doing!

2018-02-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Wow!! I only took Wednesday off for Valentine's day (I did swim first though) and I'm way behind.  I've read all the posts but so much to respond to and my short term memory is lacking.

I swam today and managed to swim pretty consistent 50m intervals at the specified rest period (15 secs) and felt good throughout.  I did notice my swims slowed slightly in the last few intervals but my overall average was right on my STP pace.  Because of how I felt today i'm going to go to the pool on the weekend and do my STP test over again.

I'm happy to do more 50m intervals but I think I would like to add some 100's to the mix.

Scott - Is it okay to push the STP to try and swim a bit faster?  

All the treadmill talk has peaked my interest.  We've got a colder week coming up so I may bite the bullet and do some indoor running.  I'll at least set the incline to 1% and run some intervals.

George,

It's completely normal for your pace to drop slightly towards the end of a STP set.  Swimming at STP is a relatively easy pace - you're swimming at or just below threshold which you should be able to maintain for a considerable period of time.  However, STP sets kind of "sneak up" on you.  At the beginning of a STP set, that 15-seconds of rest is more than enough to get your breathing back under control.  As you get deeper into the set though, it becomes increasingly difficult to control your breathing and feel recovered in 15-seconds.  By the end of the set, you'll typically not have your breathing fully under control before you push off for the next interval and your pace will begin to reflect that.

Whenever you are swimming intervals, it is better to calculate your send-off time rather than taking the set rest-interval.  For example, if your STP is 1:30 and you are doing short rest intervals to improve endurance - 1:30 (STP) + 15" rest interval = 1:45 send-off time.  It's better to do 10 x 100 @ 1:45 target 1:30;  then it is to do 10 x 100 target 1:30 with 15" rest.  On the surface it appears those two workouts are the same.  However, with the set send-off your rest is determined by your pace.  As you begin to slow, your rest interval shortens - making the workout more challenging.  With a set rest interval - you always get the full rest interval so the workout isn't as effective or challenging.

By all means, you can do 100's instead of 50's, you can also do 200's.  I wouldn't consistently do intervals longer than 200 as you'll begin to run into stroke degradation because of fatigue.  That isn't to say the occasional set of 400's or 500's doesn't have it's place but I wouldn't do that more than once a month at the most.  As to long continuous swims, I wouldn't ever do those unless psychologically you need to do it to have comfort with the distance or you are using the long swim as a threshold test (I prefer a STP test as it takes less time and requires less recovery).  I know you frequently have the opportunity to do OWS sessions.  An OWS is by definition going to be a long continuous swim.  The value of an OWS far outweighs any concerns with fatigue induced stroke degradation so if you can do an OWS,  jump in the lake and swim,

Developing speed - to increase your speed, you swim at STP minus 3-5 seconds per 100.  Because you will be swimming below your threshold pace - or faster than threshold - you will be accumulating metabolic byproducts - lactate, lactic acid.  You will need to increase the rest interval to 30-seconds to allow your body to effectively eliminate that accumulation.  For the sake of discussion, let's again say your STP is 1:30/100y.  To calculate the send off, take your STP and subtract 5 seconds - 1:30 minus 5-seconds =1:25, then add the rest interval of 30-seconds.  A speed set might look like 10 x 100 @ 1:55, target 1:25/100.  If you are hitting the target pace of 1:25, you'd have 30-seconds rest.  Just like a short rest endurance set, this will seem like a lot of rest . . . at first.  Very quickly you will find that you aren't fully recovered before you are pushing off for the next repetition (I'll let you do the math for a 50's set).  When you first add a speed set I wouldn't do more than one set per week.  Later in the season, you can go to two speed sets per week while continuing to do at least one endurance set per week.

For both endurance and speed sets, you can simply add repetitions as your fitness and speed improve.

2018-02-17 8:28 AM
in reply to: strombo1

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by strombo1

Wow. It never occurred to me that those inner chats could be controlled. I've always had them ad-hoc - which hasn't usually worked well. ?? If I focus on how important my goal is, and if I project how good I'll feel later that night if I work out, it's a lot easier to go. Conversely, I know if I don't go, I'll be mad at myself and feel like crap. I'm finally catching on that I'd rather progress and feel good than regress and feel hopeless.

Exactly!  By having the conversation beforehand in your mind, you are mentally prepared when it's crunch time and your inner voice is trying to derail your workout.  I encourage people to find their "one-thing."  What's the one thing that brought you to triathlon?  That's your ammunition when the inner voice is shouting in your ear.  For some, their one-thing is fitness, for others, it's competition.  Regardless, there is one thing that makes triathlon important - what is it? (That's a question for you to answer, not one that you necessarily need to answer publicly).  A couple of years ago I was working with a male athlete who described himself as "a middle-aged fat guy."  His one-thing was he wanted to see his 12-year old daughter at the finish line of an Ironman and show her that you can do anything you set your mind to.  He used that one thing to overcome countless obstacles during training and on race day, when it got painful during the marathon, the vision of his daughter waiting for him got him to the finish line.  Find your one-thing and you'll be much better equipped when the inner voice says "don't do the workout."

2018-02-17 1:49 PM

User image

Regular

Rebecca:

I agree completely. I think one of the toughest (and under-estimated) challenges of Triathlon can be that feeling carrying over yesterday's working into today...and your body just never seems to quite catch up.

I was thinking about that this morning as I got going on my Saturday 6 mile run. It's been in the 50's here...wouldn't you know it, it was snowing hard when I headed out the door. So my mojo was a little low at the start anyway. As I got going on my run the overwhelming feeling was, "man, I can feel the fatigue in my legs from the bike training yesterday." No doubt the leg fatigue slowed my pace.

I just keep trying to remind myself that fatigue is good, that I will feel a lot more fatigue than this during the race, and that training with fatigue is actually the best kind of training....learning the skill of keeping going when your brain is saying "stop."

Recovery is what my Mondays are for!

Steve
2018-02-17 2:01 PM

User image

Regular

There's no question that entering a race changes the motivation.  It's one thing to say, "I want to do that race."  It's another thing entirely to find the race, pay an entry fee, and have it on the calendar.

Looking forward to hearing what race(s) you're doing!

Exactly, Scott. Putting my name on the form and paying the money is a formal commitment. It changes my training from just an undefined concept to a fixed commitment...and sets in place the discipline to follow a plan to build to race day.

Dr. George Sheehan, the running guru from the early 80's had a great line that I think applies to triathlon as well: "The difference between a jogger and a runner is your signature on an entry form." He was right.. The commitment to compete and race changes everything regardless of whether we finish in the middle of the pack, dead last or get sneak a little glory with an age group podium.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-02-17 2:01 PM
2018-02-18 6:36 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Weigh-In Day

Just a reminder -

(weigh-in.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
weigh-in.jpg (36KB - 4 downloads)
2018-02-18 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Weigh-In Day
Hello all,

Welcome Stephanie - YES I DO WANT TO DO THAT RACE.

Unfortunately I was out with the flu this week. Awful. Still too queasy to run. This upcoming week was to be a recovery week, so I'm making this last week my recovery week and will start again tomorrow.

wt:
no gain - +5
2 lbs down +2
0 workout mins.
total - 7

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9238 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf