BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BE the BALL Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2017-12-06 1:30 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: BE the BALL Group - OPEN
GROUP FOCUS: First time triathletes, Triathletes looking to a longer distance, and weight loss.

NAME: billeckert/ Bill

STORY: Male - 52 years old - Live in Georgia.

I was on the swim team in high school. Not the best but could hold my own. Also loved to ride the bike. Never much of a runner until the Army. After the Army (1987), college, career, and family life took their toll and I became a couch potato. In Fall of 2010, I went on a rafting trip with high school friends. One friend was doing triathlons. I thought he was going to be super skinny but he wasn't. He looked the same as high school. Talked to him about it and decided I could do a sprint tri. Started training in 2010 for my first sprint race in April 2011. During my training, I joined a mentor group here and really gained a lot from it. Completed that race and a few other races that year. Fell off the fitness wagon in 2012-2014. Got going again in September 2014 and have not stopped since. There have been some ups and downs and some periods of time with injuries. I have completed many sprint races and olympic races, 3 HIM and completed IM Louisville in October 2017. Looking forward to training for the 2018 season with some consistency and trying to remain injury free.

FAMILY STATUS: Married. Two children, Son 24 and Daughter 12.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training varies throughout the year. Right now focused on building run consistency and mileage, building bike FTP and VO2, and weight loss/body composition.

PAST RACES:
2017 - Blalock Lakes Tri the Parks Sprint, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, IM Louisville
2016 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Chattanooga 70.3, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, Augusta 70.3, Tough Turkey Half Marathon
2015 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, Augusta 70.3
2014 - No Races
2013 - Local 5K
2012 - Tough Mudder, John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint
2011 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Indian Springs Tri the Parks Sprint, My Own Olympic Race, Atlanta Half Marathon

2018 PLANNED RACES:
April - 70.3 Florida and John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint
July - Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic
September - 70.3 Augusta

WEIGHTLOSS: Started in 2010 at 280. Been stuck at 230 for awhile now. Goal for 2018 is to really focus on body composition and get below 200.

2018 MAIN GOAL: Complete Augusta 70.3 in under 6 hours.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I joined a mentor group when I first started in 2010 and it helped me a lot. I have learned a lot since then and I am hoping to give some encouragement and help to people new to the sport or looking to do a longer distance this year.

Edited by billeckert 2018-01-09 6:59 PM

2018-01-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: billeckert

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - OPEN

Hi Bill,

I'd like to join. I'm in Georgia too so we might be a good fit or could even end up at a race or two together.

I basically took all of 2017 off from competition except for one local 5k. 2016 wasn't much better with 1 olympic, a couple of local 5k's and I did compete in MiamiMan 70.3 Aquabike where my brother and I both qualified for the world team. He ended up going to Penticton, I did not as I just couldn't justify the cost and time away from family. He has no children, I have 2, ages 9 and 13.

My training during the last 2 years has been sporadic at best with some good volume put in at times on the swim and run but next to nothing on the bike in 2017.

For 2018 the schedule is not yet set. I would like to try a few new challenges like a swim/run or even try my hand at an ultra or two (something like a 50k or even a 24 hour race). Probably an olympic tri  thrown in in May and maybe another I have my eye on in late June. A late season 70.3 is possible.

-Chris

2018-01-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #5232131

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Hi Chris,

Would love to have you. I will post something tomorrow for those that join the group to fill out. Looking forward to working together.

Bill
2018-01-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Griffin, Georgia
For those of you that would like to join, please fill in the following so that the group can get an idea of who you are and what your goals are for this year.

NAME: Your username / first name

STORY: A short paragraph of who you are, why you triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/married/family)

CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distances in 2013 or any races so far in 2014, technical or not)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: If your season is ready, list your races, if not, your training goals.

WEIGHTLOSS: And any weightloss goals that you have (or the weight lost so far as a triathlete).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: A brief summary on what you hope to gain from the group and how you think you will be a good group member for the next 3 months.

Edited by billeckert 2018-01-13 3:10 PM
2018-01-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by Dominion

Hi Bill,

I'd like to join. I'm in Georgia too so we might be a good fit or could even end up at a race or two together.

I basically took all of 2017 off from competition except for one local 5k. 2016 wasn't much better with 1 olympic, a couple of local 5k's and I did compete in MiamiMan 70.3 Aquabike where my brother and I both qualified for the world team. He ended up going to Penticton, I did not as I just couldn't justify the cost and time away from family. He has no children, I have 2, ages 9 and 13.

My training during the last 2 years has been sporadic at best with some good volume put in at times on the swim and run but next to nothing on the bike in 2017.

For 2018 the schedule is not yet set. I would like to try a few new challenges like a swim/run or even try my hand at an ultra or two (something like a 50k or even a 24 hour race). Probably an olympic tri  thrown in in May and maybe another I have my eye on in late June. A late season 70.3 is possible.

-Chris

Chris,

I posted the outline of a little bio to fill out. Don't stress too much over it. Just a little info to help all of us get to know each other a little better.

Love that you are looking to get back into some races this year. There is nothing wrong with spending time with those kiddos. They are only that age one time. It is sometimes tough to balance all of the training with family, work, and all of the stuff that life seems to give us. I do my best but sometimes it gets a little crazy finding the times to train. I think that is one of the things that these groups are good for is helping each other to stay motivated and consistent with our training.

Don't worry too much about your races and going to big this year. Enjoy it and do what you can do and still keep it in perspective.

Again, looking forward to working together.

Bill E.
"Consistency"
2018-01-13 9:12 PM

Hey guys! I'm Emily. I'm another Georgian, up here in Atlanta. I'm 31 years old.

STORY: I got into triathlons last year, so I'm just a beginner. I did two sprints last year in North Carolina. Growing up I was never into sports. I was quite obese and lazy. So for my 30th birthday I signed up for a triathlon. I've always been a swimmer, dabbled in running 5k's, and an avid cyclist with my boyfriend and his family. The reason I enjoy tri's so much is because I get to change things up. I don't like biking for a long time, and I don't like running for a long time, so I don't think any HIM or IM are in my future, haha.

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my boyfriend, two dogs, and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't done anything since Thanksgiving, but I'm ready to jump back in. I don't really know what I'm doing. Last year I just did the couch to 5k program, I would cycle with my boyfriend, and just swim in the pool. Towards the end of the year I did some HIT workouts and really saw my times improve greatley, so I will be continuing that this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did a Rambling Rose tri, and a You Go Girl Tri. Both sprints.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm signed up for the sprint Chattanooga Waterfront at the end of June. I'm really excited, but equally terrified of OWS and jumping into the river. I'm looking into a few more, as well as some 5k's.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I lost 80 pounds! I've gained back about 5 over Christmas and now my birthday, but those will come off as soon as I get serious about nutrition. I really want to get the extra 20 off to say I lost 100 pounds, but I want to lose probably another 60 pounds. I will probably always be an Athena triathlete, but I'm ok with that.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will make a good mentee because I'll be absorbing the information like a sponge. I can read article after article, but nothing is going to compare to others personal experience and guidance.

2018-01-15 6:19 PM
in reply to: emsley05

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by emsley05

Hey guys! I'm Emily. I'm another Georgian, up here in Atlanta. I'm 31 years old.

STORY: I got into triathlons last year, so I'm just a beginner. I did two sprints last year in North Carolina. Growing up I was never into sports. I was quite obese and lazy. So for my 30th birthday I signed up for a triathlon. I've always been a swimmer, dabbled in running 5k's, and an avid cyclist with my boyfriend and his family. The reason I enjoy tri's so much is because I get to change things up. I don't like biking for a long time, and I don't like running for a long time, so I don't think any HIM or IM are in my future, haha.

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my boyfriend, two dogs, and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't done anything since Thanksgiving, but I'm ready to jump back in. I don't really know what I'm doing. Last year I just did the couch to 5k program, I would cycle with my boyfriend, and just swim in the pool. Towards the end of the year I did some HIT workouts and really saw my times improve greatley, so I will be continuing that this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did a Rambling Rose tri, and a You Go Girl Tri. Both sprints.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm signed up for the sprint Chattanooga Waterfront at the end of June. I'm really excited, but equally terrified of OWS and jumping into the river. I'm looking into a few more, as well as some 5k's.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I lost 80 pounds! I've gained back about 5 over Christmas and now my birthday, but those will come off as soon as I get serious about nutrition. I really want to get the extra 20 off to say I lost 100 pounds, but I want to lose probably another 60 pounds. I will probably always be an Athena triathlete, but I'm ok with that.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will make a good mentee because I'll be absorbing the information like a sponge. I can read article after article, but nothing is going to compare to others personal experience and guidance.

Hey Emily,

Welcome to the group. You have a great story. Congratulations on the weight loss and how you did over Christmas. Nothing wrong with where you are at and looking to continue to improve. I have always been a clydesdale but this year I am working on moving out of that category. I have about 40 pounds to be at my goal weight for my race in September.

OWS is definitely something to be respected. If you can find a place to practice you should definitely do it. Always do it with a group though. My first open water swim was in a lake in a sprint tri and I definitely would not recommend that. We can talk more about OWS as the group forms.

No worries on the HIM and IM. They are their own animal. I said when I started that I would never do a HIM. Then when I did one I said I'd never do another much less an IM. They are a lot of work and take a lot of time to train for. You definitely have to have all of you family agreeing with you and supporting you. I say do what you are comfortable with and can keep yourself active with.

For your current training I would suggest finding a plan on here that you are comfortable with and just get started. You have plenty of time until June but you don't want to waste this time right now as it is a great time to develop some good base fitness. You can always start another plan or restart the one you are doing as you get closer to the race. If you have any questions about things let the group know and I am sure that we will give some feedback. Make sure you log those workouts on here so that the group can give you support and encoragement.

I will post more information about the group once we get a few more people. Looking forward to working with you.

Bill E.
"Consistency"
2018-01-18 8:37 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
SOOO, what has everyone been doing for training this week?

My training week starts on Mondays.
Monday - Ran 4.1, Rode15.6
Tuesday - Rode 21.8
Wednesday - Ran 4.27

What are your weekend plans for training?

Thursday - Run 4, Bike 25
Friday - Run 4
Saturday - Bike 35
Sunday - Run 4, Bike 15

Do you have a training plan picked out yet?

I am on a training plan to build run durability during the out season. For the bike I am just trying to maintain where I am at and maybe build a little. No swimming right now but will start that next week. I started this plan on 11/27 with 4 runs per week and 10 miles per week. Added some distance per week for 3 weeks and then started 5 runs per week. I am at 5 runs per week and 20 miles per week right now. Trying to hit about 75-100 miles per week on the bike with some intensity but not too much. All of my runs are at a moderate pace just working in the mileage and letting my body adjust. Plan right now is to stay at the 5 runs/20 miles per week for a few weeks and see how things go. I have had a nagging achilles issue that I am working on. It is getting better slowly but I am at about as much as I can do for running to still let it heal. I will begin adding distance to the bike in February to build endurance for my first race.

Do you have any races scheduled yet? Chris was looking at an olympic in May and Emily was looking at some sprint races this year.

My first race is April 8th. 70.3 Florida. I have done three with a goal of finishing. My fastest was 7:30. Goal for this race is 6:30. I need to continue to lose weight to make this goal. My fitness is okay but toting the extra weight up the hills on the bike and run really slows me down.

2018-01-18 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Training is kind of sputtering right now. I need to get out and run more, but I have trouble getting out the door when it is 27 degrees like it is now.

I've done a couple of trainer sessions on the bike, and just getting one swim per week for now until we get a little closer to race season. 

2018-01-18 9:38 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Training is kind of sputtering right now. I need to get out and run more, but I have trouble getting out the door when it is 27 degrees like it is now.

I've done a couple of trainer sessions on the bike, and just getting one swim per week for now until we get a little closer to race season. 

I agree on the cold. I have the gear to run outside when it is cold. Sometimes I do but I generally prefer not to. I have a membership to planet fitness and although it is on a treadmill I can at least get my runs in comfortably. It is the only way I have been able to maintain any consistency. It also gives me a place to still get my run in when I can't get my run in during the day.

Right now I am doing all of my bike sessions on the trainer. It just simplifies things for me with temperatures and scheduling. I really do not like the trainer but I have been using a program called Zwift which has made it actually fun. It is pretty simple to set up and does not cost that much. The cool thing is we could actually do a virtual ride together in Zwift. I am a member of an online triathlon club and do rides with people all over the country. You even get to ride in London and Richmond, VA. It may not be for you but I would suggest at least looking at it. You can do a free 7 day trial. If you want to try it let me know before you start. We can make sure you get your setup right so that you don't waste any of your days.

Keep working on your training and let me know how things are going.
2018-01-18 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I hear you on the Zwift. I actually looked at that last year, but with the added expense of a smart trainer (I just have an old dumb one) it really wasn't something i wanted to commit to. I was on the fence about investing in it anyway and then Zwift raised their monthly fee. I know it is only a few dollars a month but still was enough to sway me to just keep doing what i have been doing, (youtube videos mostly while riding). 

2018-01-18 4:26 PM

Hi Bill,

In 2011 I was in incredible shape thanks to a trainer and did my first two sprint triathlons. The first one was miserable - rain, high winds, cold - but I managed to get to the second one and that was a lot more fun. Then I met my husband-to-be, who wanted to do things like eat dinner (??!!). I started eating and stopped working out and promptly gained 75 pounds. 7 years later, I've lost 35 of those pounds but really miss being strong and fit. So what do you do? Set a goal! I signed up for the same sprint I did back then (the fun one).

I would like to lose another 40 pounds. I am 54 now and getting back into shape is harder, but it's coming along. I downloaded the couch-to-sprint plan and have been trying to follow it. Yesterday was day 3 and I already blew off one workout . But back on the horse (or spin bike) today.

I am a good swimmer once in shape, and don't have a big problem with the bike either. But I suck at running. Even when I was doing it before I could never run more than a half-hour. I hate it and want to find some way not to hate it as much. We got a new dog, a Doberman, who would make a much better running companion than our smaller mutt, so when the roads are less icy he can take me out.

So that's about it. My sprint is in June. I know if I stay motivated between now and then I'll make it. I look to you for continued accountability, motivation and inspiration! No pressure though
2018-01-18 5:29 PM

User image

New user
Subject: BE the BALL Group - OPEN
Hello Bill, I'd like to join the group.

NAME: Scottjjmtri99 / Scott

STORY: I've been racing triathlons for a few years in Mid Michigan. Do fairly well in the AG. Have only raced sprints and oly's and hope to do a HIM in the next few years. I enjoy the challenges of triathlon and hope to pass it along to my kids.Last year both my kids participated in a kids try and they both loved it and are looking forward to doing it again this summer. Even my wife is interested in the "Super Sprint distance that is offered in our area.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids. My daughter is 7 and son is 5.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year I struggled with plantar fasciitis and seem to finally have it managed. I did manage to run one sprint and a swim/run race. I'm up to about 15 miles running a week, 2 bike sessions and 1 swim.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year I was only able to race one sprint and placed 2nd in AG and also ran an aquathon swim/run. Also ran the Irish double 8k followed by a 5k in March.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I am signed up for the Irish double again 8k and 5k, The Powerman Duathlon 10k/60k/10k in May, the Cannonball Aquathon series 1500swim/5k course starts in June, and 2 OLY's. Probably a 3rd OLY in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: After my last race in September last year I let my eating habits go out the window (fast food) and eating when I wanted whatever I wanted and didn't do anything related to exercise with the exception of several pints. In that short time I gained 15 lbs. After Thanksgiving I decided it was time to get things back under control. My feet feel better but are not completed healed. More managed than anything and slowly worked my way back to 15+ miles a week running. So far I'm down 10 pounds and hope to lose another 15 by May.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE- I like to reading how people are doing and learning new tricks. Especially when it comes to motivation. I tend to struggle with consistency and look for new ways to keep on track.

Looking forward to seeing how people are doing!

Scott
2018-01-18 5:32 PM
in reply to: #5232131

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Chris,

I use a dumb trainer with a power meter. Works great. You can also use a dumb trainer with a speed and cadence sensor as long as you have the right trainer. I think they have a list. Not trying to get you to use it but just trying to let you know the options. If I had to purchase a smart trainer it would have been a no for me to.
2018-01-18 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Well it finally warmed up a little (all the way to 48), so i was able to get out and get a few miles in. Mid 40's is about my limit for cold weather running. I have raced a couple half marathons that started in the 30's, but that is too cold for a training run. I have to run on a treadmill every 3rd day, so I try to avoid it on the other days.

2018-01-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: strombo1

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by strombo1

Hi Bill,

In 2011 I was in incredible shape thanks to a trainer and did my first two sprint triathlons. The first one was miserable - rain, high winds, cold - but I managed to get to the second one and that was a lot more fun. Then I met my husband-to-be, who wanted to do things like eat dinner (??!!). I started eating and stopped working out and promptly gained 75 pounds. 7 years later, I've lost 35 of those pounds but really miss being strong and fit. So what do you do? Set a goal! I signed up for the same sprint I did back then (the fun one).

I would like to lose another 40 pounds. I am 54 now and getting back into shape is harder, but it's coming along. I downloaded the couch-to-sprint plan and have been trying to follow it. Yesterday was day 3 and I already blew off one workout . But back on the horse (or spin bike) today.

I am a good swimmer once in shape, and don't have a big problem with the bike either. But I suck at running. Even when I was doing it before I could never run more than a half-hour. I hate it and want to find some way not to hate it as much. We got a new dog, a Doberman, who would make a much better running companion than our smaller mutt, so when the roads are less icy he can take me out.

So that's about it. My sprint is in June. I know if I stay motivated between now and then I'll make it. I look to you for continued accountability, motivation and inspiration! No pressure though

Glad to have you in the group. Great story. I think we all need a little accountability, motivation and inspiration and that is what these groups are about. It really helps when you have multiple people that are there to help provide encouragement and support.

Oh yeah, Name?

2018-01-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Hello Bill, I'd like to join the group.

NAME: Scottjjmtri99 / Scott

STORY: I've been racing triathlons for a few years in Mid Michigan. Do fairly well in the AG. Have only raced sprints and oly's and hope to do a HIM in the next few years. I enjoy the challenges of triathlon and hope to pass it along to my kids.Last year both my kids participated in a kids try and they both loved it and are looking forward to doing it again this summer. Even my wife is interested in the "Super Sprint distance that is offered in our area.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids. My daughter is 7 and son is 5.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year I struggled with plantar fasciitis and seem to finally have it managed. I did manage to run one sprint and a swim/run race. I'm up to about 15 miles running a week, 2 bike sessions and 1 swim.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year I was only able to race one sprint and placed 2nd in AG and also ran an aquathon swim/run. Also ran the Irish double 8k followed by a 5k in March.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I am signed up for the Irish double again 8k and 5k, The Powerman Duathlon 10k/60k/10k in May, the Cannonball Aquathon series 1500swim/5k course starts in June, and 2 OLY's. Probably a 3rd OLY in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: After my last race in September last year I let my eating habits go out the window (fast food) and eating when I wanted whatever I wanted and didn't do anything related to exercise with the exception of several pints. In that short time I gained 15 lbs. After Thanksgiving I decided it was time to get things back under control. My feet feel better but are not completed healed. More managed than anything and slowly worked my way back to 15+ miles a week running. So far I'm down 10 pounds and hope to lose another 15 by May.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE- I like to reading how people are doing and learning new tricks. Especially when it comes to motivation. I tend to struggle with consistency and look for new ways to keep on track.

Looking forward to seeing how people are doing!

Scott

Glad to have you in the group. Looks like you have some good experience in triathlon and have a lot of races planned. I have a tough time staying on track too. In fact, I have decided that my one thing for this year is consistency. Looking forward to working with you.

2018-01-19 12:16 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Well it finally warmed up a little (all the way to 48), so i was able to get out and get a few miles in. Mid 40's is about my limit for cold weather running. I have raced a couple half marathons that started in the 30's, but that is too cold for a training run. I have to run on a treadmill every 3rd day, so I try to avoid it on the other days.

Nice work Chris!
2018-01-19 12:35 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: GROUND RULES
Alright everyone, we are a still open and accepting members but I would like to get rolling. When I first started training in 2010 I joined a mentor group here on BT. It was a great experience and I still draw on some of the things I learned from that group to this day. It was really funny as I looked over the information from that group in preparation for this group how much information was there that I really did not understand then but do now. The mentor for the group was a great person. I learned a lot and I hope you all can learn a lot from this group.

This group will be what you make of it. The more we share training, ask questions, and talk triathlon the more we will all learn. Soooo, lets start with a few simple ground rules and suggestions. These were what was used in my first group.

ATTITUDE:

First and foremost, everybody's opinion here counts. It doesn't matter how much experience or knowledge you have. If you have an opinion, feel free to express it. We will all respect everybody else's views, and if we disagree, we will say so respectfully. Healthy debate is fine. Mutual encouragement and sharing of information even more so. Disrespect is not. If I think you're wrong, I will tell you so in the most respectful terms, and in what I think is your best interest as an endurance athlete trying to achieve your goals. I hope everybody else will do the same (including to me!).

With that in mind, and as we've all already shared first names, I'd prefer that we address one another by our first names. I personally believe that it helps us to overcome the temptation (encouraged by the anonymity of the internet) to say things that we'd never say to someone in person. I will certainly address all of you by your first names, and hope you will do the same.

Feel free to share as much, or as little, personal information about yourself that you are comfortable with.

LOGS:

The logs here on BT are a great resource. I strongly encourage you to use them. I've logged every minute of my training since I joined BT, and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that keeping track of your training in this way has enormous benefits. First, for yourself, you can go back and see, with the benefit of hindsight, what works and what doesn't work for you. Second, when you ask a question, others can look at your logs and give you a far better response than they could not having any clue about your training history. It really does make a huge difference. Finally, as far as this group is concerned, the logs are a great way for us to give one another regular support (via the 'inspire' function -- if it isn't clear how to use it, ask). If you log your training, I promise I will check in to your logs from time to time and try to give you support and advice as I can. I encourage you all to do the same for each other.

TOPICS:

Any and all topics related to triathlon are fair game here. And if you want to have a conversation about other stuff, that's fine too. Early on, I will suggest a number of topics to discuss that I think will be especially helpful for beginners. But I have no crystal ball. You will get the most out of this group if you ask the questions that you feel you need answered. Don't worry if the question is ill-formed or unclear. We can sort that out in discussion. Above all, do NOT be embarrassed by a question that you think is 'too basic'. There is no such thing!
2018-01-19 12:36 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: LET'S GET STARTED
I'd like to start things off (in addition to ANY questions you have or topics you'd like to discuss) with a question aimed at starting a discussion on consistency. I believe very strongly that consistent training is the path to success. You cannot go 'hot and cold' with endurance training. It's all about getting out the door on a consistent basis. What are the challenges that you face getting out the door X number of times per week? (X will be different for different people. The value of X isn't the point. The point is: whatever goal you have set yourself for the number of times you hope to train per week, what are the biggest obstacles you face to achieving that goal?) And what ideas do we have for each other about overcoming those obstacles?
2018-01-19 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: LET'S GET STARTED

Let me start by first saying hi to Scott. Scott and I have been in the same group for the past several years, so it will be great having him around again! Scott has come a long way since we first "met". He has turned into an endurance machine up there in the great white north!

Bill,

As to consistency, I agree with you 100%. It sounds cliché, but consistency is the key to gains and eventually success in endurance racing. When I am motivated, I do pretty well with consistency. Getting to the pool is probably my biggest hassle to consistent training. Running and biking I can do right from the house. The pool takes a little more effort.

Aside from that, easily my biggest obstacle to consistent training is my job. Working overnight, often means coming home tired and worn out and needing a rest day just to recover. The older I get the more this seems to be an issue. I can usually get something done that day, but if I am in a bigger training block, there are some things that are not going to get done. Usually the first thing to go is the gym sessions and/or the swim. If I am already exhausted at 7am, there is a good chance I'm not getting to the pool. I run almost every day and if I have a ride scheduled I try to get it in. Having a good group to ride with helps with staying consistent on the bike.

2018-01-19 7:46 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: LET'S GET STARTED
Thanks Chris, I have been slowly getting myself back in shape. Been adding run mileage consistently since early December and now I'm adding the trainer. Can only seem to consistently make it to the pool once a week. Which for now is probably ok. Even though the swim is my least favorite part of TRI, I seem to race decent come race day. This year I'm placing more of a focus on the run. I'd like that to be my strong point again.

With it being so cold and dark by the time I can run, nearly all of my runs have been on the treadmill. I did sneak 2 out door runs in the temps jumped into the 50s for 2 days before plunging back into the single digits. I have 2 different pools I can go to but the lap swim times don't jive well with my work schedule so it's just tough to get more than one swim a week anymore.

Scott

2018-01-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #5235512

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Beautiful weather today here in GA. Extended my run a little. Got in 4.5 miles. Hope you all are having a good weekend.
2018-01-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5235710

User image

New user
Great Bill! It’s nice here to. My plan had me running a 7 mile long run today. After 8 miles in two days, my legs (feet) needed a day off so I rode long instead this morning and then went to the pool this afternoon. The ride was tough, as my legs felt like blah for the majority of it so I thought my swim might be in the same boat. The swim actually felt great. My swim times are still on the slower side but I’m confident that with time in the water they’ll come down some. Tomorrow still looks to be a nice day for January in Michigan so I’m planning on doing my 7 miles outside instead of the treadmill. Have a great weekend everyone!

Scott
2018-01-20 10:30 PM
in reply to: #5235718

User image

New user
So during my swim today I started playing around a little bit with my breathing and strokes. I normally breath on my left side every left stroke which is problem in the open swims if its choppy. So I worked on the right side and it went rather well. Then I thought let’s try the bilateral stroke which went really well. It felt like I was moving much faster breathing on every other side. The watch isn’t as so sure when I look at the results. Any thoughts? Should I keep to what I know? Or keep playing with my breathing? Thanks.

Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BE the BALL Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 26978 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9351 Posts: 78