General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how to handle faster paces in training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-17 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: how to handle faster paces in training plan
As your pace increases during a BT training plan, what do you do? Do you ignore the distances given and follow the time thereby doing longer distances or do any of you go back and redo the plan with faster times (using the same starting date etc)?

Edited by MuscleMomma 2017-12-17 11:16 PM

2017-12-18 7:23 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: how to handle faster paces in training plan
I still don't understand the fascination with doing workouts by time. In triathlon, you go a prescribed distance for that race (whatever you're training for).

My question is sincere.....but, why are you not using distance as your training metric? If there's a legitimate answer, I'll learn something.
2017-12-18 10:52 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

I have just started to focus on time over distance. Before I was just running 4 miles here, 6 miles there, threw in a few 8-12 miles. I kept getting caught up running zone 3. Since my coach writes plans based on time instead of distance I've been much better at staying closer to my goal zone on my runs. I think that time is an easier way to help control natural urges to push harder. I've already started to feel some of the adjustment my body has made and my long runs are so much easier (even faster w/ lower heart rate). I am just pacing myself better than before.
2017-12-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: jnuger

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
You're a ball buster nc452010! BTW, your question on another thread as to why I was waiting to start my HIM plan got me thinking. Tinkered with custom plans - every fourth week rest instead of three etc. and found a version I could do the runs in the first week - so I started one yesterday. Thank you.

Not really thinking time vs. distance, but as someone who loves to create and recreate plans, I like the idea of what's being asked of me being accurate. So if I can run faster I'd like to see that on my plan. I think that the plan changes a little based on faster times (gives slightly longer distances - from what I could see).

At this point in my fitness I could slog out a longer run, but it would probably leave me unable to run soon afterwards. There have been a few years where I was sidetracked by pains I couldn't train through. I'm pushing 60. Though who say age is just a number are just not old enough to get it.
My times are get longer, I'll get faster, and better able to push it harder. That's the plan at least.

Mitzi
2017-12-18 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Especially not trying to bust your balls

I asked the question because.....I recently asked my coach about it. I was reading coach after coach who tout not running more than 2-2.5 hrs in IM prep for the longest runs. If you're a 3-3.5 hr IM marathoner, that's great. But, ALL OF US have to cover 26.2 mi. Let's just say I'm a 4:49 IM marathoner. Would that 2-2.5 hr long run get ME ready? I don't think so. That faster runner's gonna cover over 18 mi. in 2:15. I'd cover about 13.5 (on a training run). Is that preparing me to go 26.2? Again.....I don't think so.

I did run/walk for all my longer training runs and in my last 2 races. Lots who employ this method do it based on time/time. That is...they have a set time interval to run and a set walk interval. I started that way, but realized you could slack off if you did this. So, I switched to running .5 mile and walking 1 min.

For some people, I'd say using time works fine. For others (me included in this group), I just think there's some shortcomings.

BTW....I'm not far behind you (in age). I say you rock for doing whatever you're doing.
2017-12-18 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Makes sense and I know a lot less than you, but, have read that you don't have to cover the distance in most of your training. It's consistency that counts, running more often rather than doing long runs less often.

Not saying I won't be pushing the miles in a few months, I will be, this is my year! Another reason I'm being cautious, I got big plans - but for now I'm sticking to the minutes.

Thank you for your responses.

2017-12-18 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Well....I agree with what you've heard....to an extent.

For everything up to (using common distances) the marathon.....I disagree that you shouldn't cover the race distance, in training. If your coach or plan tells you differently, by all means, do what it says. In my thinking, the only reason NOT to cover your race distance in training is.....if doing so won't allow you to recover in time to hit your next workout.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas.
2017-12-19 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
So back to my original question: anyone out there redo their custom plan when their times change from what they originally input? If not is it because you just go by distance?
2017-12-19 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Originally posted by nc452010

Well....I agree with what you've heard....to an extent.

For everything up to (using common distances) the marathon.....I disagree that you shouldn't cover the race distance, in training. If your coach or plan tells you differently, by all means, do what it says. In my thinking, the only reason NOT to cover your race distance in training is.....if doing so won't allow you to recover in time to hit your next workout.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas.

I always have a lot of plans. I should workout as much as I study and play with plans.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how to handle faster paces in training plan Rss Feed