BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Make 2018 the Best Season Yet -- Sprint / Olympic (All Levels) Focus Mentor Group -- OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-29 12:23 PM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Subject: Make 2018 the Best Season Yet -- Sprint / Olympic (All Levels) Focus Mentor Group -- OPEN
GROUP FOCUS: Sprints, Nutrition, Lifestyle, etc.

NAME: Nikos Phelps

Username: nfp105

STORY:
I began training for triathlons nearly 5 years ago because I always wanted to do them. I was a swimmer and a runner in High School and then did nothing for about 10 years before picking up the sport. I continued with triathlons after my first year because I wanted to see what I was capable of. Since then, I've surprised myself with what I've achieved.

I love this sport because it is independent and it enables you to really challenge and push yourself. Nothing compares to the comradery of triathletes. Every triathlete has a story and a purpose. Training is a journey and it should be embraced one day at a time. I'm a firm believer that you can be a triathlete and NOT have to complete a 70.3 or Iron Distance Race. I hate when people say "It's only a sprint!" as if that isn't good enough.

In 2017, I began working with a coach to further develop as an athlete. I'm currently coached by Vassilis Krommidas of Trisutto and Krommidas Coaching. Krommidas is a 16 time Greek National Champion. With his guidance, I had some great accomplishments in 2017:

- Dropped 11 minutes off my winning time from 2016 in Escape the Cape Triathlon
- Finished 4th in AG amd 19th OA at USAT AG Nationals. Also dropped 8 minutes off my time from 2016.
- Finished 7th in AG and 46th OA at ITU AG Worlds in Rotterdam.
- Won the Greek National Championship Race.

When not training, my wife and I own and operate full-time two businesses, we are in the middle of a DIY full remodel/update of a 150 year old farmhouse, and we maintain 8 acres.

FAMILY STATUS: Married w. Pets (3 dogs, 3 cats).

CURRENT TRAINING: My training is for sprint and Olympic Triathlons. Definitely more than what is needed to complete the distance, but training varies from 10 to 16 hours a week. Consistency being key with 3-5 bikes per week, 4-7 runs per week, and 4-5 swims per week. During the winter I add in a weight training program. I use Heart Rate based training. There is a mix of easy and hard, short and long, intervals and steady state.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Completed a number of Sprint and Olympic Distance Triathlons. St. Anthony's, Escape the Cape, New Jersey State, USAT AG Nationals, ITU AG Worlds in Rotterdam, and Greek Nationals. A couple smaller local races as well.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: Currently planned -- Escape the Cape Triathlon, USAT AG Nationals, ITU AG Worlds in Gold Coast, and Greek Nationals. Will likely pick up a few local races as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't have much experience with this, but everything in moderation

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Much of what I have learned is through trial & error and research. I believe that as a high performer, I have a responsibility to give back and help grow the sport. There is a ton of information out there -- some correct, some incorrect. I have found that what works for some is not for others and it is important to determine what path is best for you. I believe that my background gives me the ability to help and inspire others to take that step to move forward with their goals or dreams. I watched my brother-in-law lose 30 pounds and complete his first triathlon in 2017 and was proud to have a part in the process. I am not a coach, I do not receive money from sponsors, so the advice I can give is based on my experience and not an agenda. I'm here to support and encourage and hopefully help you complete your best triathlon season yet!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Make 2018 the Best Season Yet -- Sprint / Olympic (All Levels) Focus Mentor Group -- OPEN Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 14809 Posts: 234

2018-12-30 10:16 AM 2NewKnees

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13219 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 26776 Posts: 712