Other Resources The Political Joe » Distraction Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-01-08 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Distraction
I am continually amused when politicians and the media talking heads blow off investigations, allegations, rumors, tweets, etc as 'distractions' as if all of America, the FBI, the media and Congress has ADD and can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Headline this morning in Washington Examiner: With DC distracted, immigration debate reaches critical point.

I guess what they really mean is the news media would rather report on the things that support their view/opinions of Trump than on real news that effects America.

I watched on and off all weekend all the networks talking about Wolfe's book as if were gospel and was grounds to impeach the POTUS. Funny that the same media who claims he cannot read are the same ones who said he read his really good speeches off the teleprompter. Some in the media are bending over backwards to excuse the blatant lies in the book.

Another great lie is that the Clinton Foundation investigation is 'an attempt by the GOP to detract from the Russian probe' even though the investigation started 3 years ago and the recent reports came out of what some FBI agents in Arkansas are doing. But in politics, a good offense is the best defense.

Gonna be a great year! Regardless of what happens on the political field, with the tax cuts and the deregulation, America's economy is on the right trajectory in my not-so-humbler opinion.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-01-08 7:26 AM

2018-01-08 7:46 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Distraction
Maybe it's just me but this guy reminds me of Dr Evil

(Dr Evil.png)

(Wolff.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dr Evil.png (21KB - 0 downloads)
Wolff.jpg (32KB - 0 downloads)
2018-01-08 8:01 AM

User image

Pro

I have ZERO interest in anything that has come out or may come out of that book.  This is apparently attempt  #1374 to discredit our President.  The more and longer this happens the more convinced I become that we've got the right person in the oval office.

2018-01-08 8:03 AM

User image

Regular
The media has a rotation of things that it uses as distraction.

1) Russia Investigation
2) Trump's Mental Health
3) Tweeting
4) Hit pieces in media (opinion columns, books, magazines, etc)

The media just cycles through these, finds something to drive the news cycle for a few days and moves on to something else. As for this book, the writer has a long history of playing fast and loose with facts. That means nothing to today's media. They are noting more than TMZ reporters looking for their next story that will drive clicks.
2018-01-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro
Tejas
No worries, looks like they're going to run Oprah in 2020. Since she owns the media, she'll get em all straightened out.
2018-01-08 8:46 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Dear Libs......PLEASE run Oprah. 

2018-01-08 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

No worries, looks like they're going to run Oprah in 2020. Since she owns the media, she'll get em all straightened out.

Me too! Well, I've never been sexually harassed by a woman yet....but I remain hopeful.

Seriously though, I just came from the breakroom and saw CNN reporting on Oprah and asked panelist if they thought it was 'possible' for her to be the next DNC nominee for POTUS. I hope she choses Bernie as her running mate!
2018-01-08 10:30 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by mdg2003

Give serious thought to wanting her as a nominee. She will have the black vote in her pocket along with the women vote. She will win by one of the widest margins ever recorded.

I 'm amazed with the facination over Oprah. If anyone remembers her early TV career, she basically invented the trash interview show. She was Maury Povich before he took the genre to a new level. After she had her fling with trash, she cleaned the show up and made it positive. I am amazed she gets a pass for that time in her career.
2018-01-08 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by mdg2003 No worries, looks like they're going to run Oprah in 2020. Since she owns the media, she'll get em all straightened out.
Give serious thought to wanting her as a nominee. She will have the black vote in her pocket along with the women vote. She will win by one of the widest margins ever recorded. I 'm amazed with the facination over Oprah. If anyone remembers her early TV career, she basically invented the trash interview show. She was Maury Povich before he took the genre to a new level. After she had her fling with trash, she cleaned the show up and made it positive. I am amazed she gets a pass for that time in her career.

Nah.....give women and black voters a little more credit than that.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-01-08 10:56 AM
2018-01-08 12:05 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Honestly, I find it all amusing - on both sides. Unfortunately, DC is done for the year, midterms will be interesting.
2018-01-08 12:13 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy Honestly, I find it all amusing - on both sides. Unfortunately, DC is done for the year, midterms will be interesting.

But the stock market could just be starting with all that overseas money coming back in.  Nothing else matters.......if the economy goes higher and higher nothing else will make a difference on elections day.

2018-01-08 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Oysterboy Honestly, I find it all amusing - on both sides. Unfortunately, DC is done for the year, midterms will be interesting.

But the stock market could just be starting with all that overseas money coming back in.  Nothing else matters.......if the economy goes higher and higher nothing else will make a difference on elections day.

For years I've heard the talking heads quote Carville, "It's the economy stupid." But last week I heard on them say that this year's midterms might prove Carville wrong. How convenient.

I think dems are a little nervous that the economy is doing so well and when people start seeing extra money in their paychecks they are not gonna care what someone wrote about Trump in some book. Impeachment on 'obstruction' charges - which is nebulous and difficult to prove intent - will be unlikely from the Republicans.

Truth be known, for 90% of people, the Nov elections are the farthest thing from their minds. Political junkies and news people and politicians are the only ones even remotely interested in the elections.
2018-01-08 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree with you here, but I think the Anyone but Trumpers dont care about anything except hurting him. If they hurt themselves in the process so be it. Its a crazy world right now.
2018-01-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I can't remember who said it, but I read something the other day that was pretty sobering.  Trump isn't really a likable guy to a lot of people, but what he does is very likable to a lot of people.

Ultimately his reelection isn't going to hinge on labeling him as an orange or having little hands.  What it's going to hinge on is the policies he has in place and their effects on voters.  This is where the Democrats are in deep doodoo.  If his policies launch the economy then there's nothing they can do.

Which in and of itself is kind of weird because the Democrats are hoping that the economy fails so they can win next year and in 2020.  Think about that.

2018-01-09 12:53 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

who are all these people that are hoping the economy fails tony?  you keep saying that. 

My personal position is that the economy was doing fantastic BEFORE he came into office, and that I think these policies are bad for the US in the long term.

Also, the "economy" doing well isn't necessarily as good for the common person as everyone tries to make it out to be.  There is not a direct correlation between profits and the welbeing of the middle class.  If the economy is doing great, but my pay doesn't go up, I am in fact losing to inflation.  If the economy does great, but I'm paying more in taxes long term, while corporations and their CEO's are making more money, how does that create a win for the voter?

I don't want the economy to fail, I want people to see past the trickle down farce, and to see that slower, sustainable growth, and a safety net for everyone is more palatable than crippling my future to up stocks, dividends, and ceo bonuses.

2018-01-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

who are all these people that are hoping the economy fails tony?  you keep saying that. 

My personal position is that the economy was doing fantastic BEFORE he came into office, and that I think these policies are bad for the US in the long term.

Also, the "economy" doing well isn't necessarily as good for the common person as everyone tries to make it out to be.  There is not a direct correlation between profits and the welbeing of the middle class.  If the economy is doing great, but my pay doesn't go up, I am in fact losing to inflation.  If the economy does great, but I'm paying more in taxes long term, while corporations and their CEO's are making more money, how does that create a win for the voter?

I don't want the economy to fail, I want people to see past the trickle down farce, and to see that slower, sustainable growth, and a safety net for everyone is more palatable than crippling my future to up stocks, dividends, and ceo bonuses.

You're young enough that you haven't gotten to experience a wave of economic growth.  I'm really excited for you and your future.
Maybe it's not so much that people want the economy to fail so I will give you that, but they want Trumps economic policies to fail.  If the economy roars, then the Democrats have zero chance of winning much more than local dog catcher type elections.

Trickle down economics is not a farce.  Trickle down government is a farce.

2018-01-09 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

trickle down economics has never been successful in any country in the world.

2018-01-09 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by tuwood

Trickle down government is a farce.

Ironically it was Kennedy who said 'a rising tide floats all boats'.

He didn't coin the phrase though, Trump did when he was talking about priming the pump. ;-)
2018-01-09 1:03 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

trickle down economics has never been successful in any country in the world.

for the majority of the population* it has been very successful to make rich people richer.

2018-01-09 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'm curious how much 2020 will come down to the re-election of Trump policy (which honestly is standard GOP/Heritage Foundation policy prescriptions) vs the Trump presidency (and all the derisive tweets that come with the territory). I really don't know how much a positive economy will trump (note the small "T") the fact that there is such a motivated base that wants to place a strong check on the executive branch. I don't doubt Tony's assessment that a lot of people will vote their pocketbooks, I'm just not sure if Trump's antics will drive these people to the polls.

As far as the 2018 midterm, I'll just go with history here: "The party of the incumbent president tends to lose ground during midterm elections: over the past 21 midterm elections, the President's party has lost an average 30 seats in the House, and an average 4 seats in the Senate; moreover, in only two of those has the President's party gained seats in both houses" . (Wikipedia). Frankly, it will have to start raining dollar bills from the sky to otherwise change this likely outcome.
2018-01-09 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I started a new trickle down thread so we can all make our predictions.

2018-01-09 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I'm curious how much 2020 will come down to the re-election of Trump policy (which honestly is standard GOP/Heritage Foundation policy prescriptions) vs the Trump presidency (and all the derisive tweets that come with the territory). I really don't know how much a positive economy will trump (note the small "T") the fact that there is such a motivated base that wants to place a strong check on the executive branch. I don't doubt Tony's assessment that a lot of people will vote their pocketbooks, I'm just not sure if Trump's antics will drive these people to the polls.

As far as the 2018 midterm, I'll just go with history here: "The party of the incumbent president tends to lose ground during midterm elections: over the past 21 midterm elections, the President's party has lost an average 30 seats in the House, and an average 4 seats in the Senate; moreover, in only two of those has the President's party gained seats in both houses" . (Wikipedia). Frankly, it will have to start raining dollar bills from the sky to otherwise change this likely outcome.

We don't even know if Trump will seek a second term. He is 71 now. Maybe he'd just like a life of leisure playing golf and playing with the grandkids?

I honestly do not understand people who want to work their entire lives. McCain is a idiot and should have retired long ago. It is pure arrogance to think that your knowledge/wisdom/experience cannot be replaced. I got an email yesterday finding out someone had died that I knew. Well, knew of. About 2 or 3 years ago he celebrated his 50th anniversary at Boeing. I could not help but think: What an idiot! He worked until he died. The is so much more to life than working!

Oh well, to each his own. I've always tried to be a live and let die kind of person....

2018-01-09 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy I'm curious how much 2020 will come down to the re-election of Trump policy (which honestly is standard GOP/Heritage Foundation policy prescriptions) vs the Trump presidency (and all the derisive tweets that come with the territory). I really don't know how much a positive economy will trump (note the small "T") the fact that there is such a motivated base that wants to place a strong check on the executive branch. I don't doubt Tony's assessment that a lot of people will vote their pocketbooks, I'm just not sure if Trump's antics will drive these people to the polls. As far as the 2018 midterm, I'll just go with history here: "The party of the incumbent president tends to lose ground during midterm elections: over the past 21 midterm elections, the President's party has lost an average 30 seats in the House, and an average 4 seats in the Senate; moreover, in only two of those has the President's party gained seats in both houses" . (Wikipedia). Frankly, it will have to start raining dollar bills from the sky to otherwise change this likely outcome.

I do agree with you on the history part, but for the Senate in particular the races aren't set up particularly well for the DNC.  There are 24 Democratic Senators and 2 Independent Senators (that caucus with the Democrats) up for reelection and only 8 Republicans.  Of those Democratic seats there are three that are currently showing toss up and two Republican seats that are showing toss up.  Obviously it's very early, but things aren't set up very well for a big wave in the Senate.
In the House, they'll likely do a little better, but with a 46 seat majority today it would take a historic landslide to shift control over.

I know there's a lot of Trump antics and I'll wholeheartedly admit that even I sit back and shake my head sometimes.  However, I believe it's very intentional and calculated.  He's effectively neutralized the media in a way that no Republican has before.  When people watch the drone of the nightly news channel they almost laugh at the desperation of anti-Trump they're pushing.  The "fake news" push is to neutralize that Democratic advantage come election time.
The outright trolling he does is an effective way to connect to younger voters who are surprisingly more conservative than the millennial generation.  They live by memes and love the way Trump trolls his opponents.  It drives us older guys a little crazy at times, but I don't think it's going to drive very many away.

The DNC appears to be putting all their chips on the table of identity politics and personality.  They feel if they can get a checkbox on the ballot then they can win.  Personally, I feel it's insulting and very short sighted because the forced diversity type stuff is one of the major reasons the DNC is struggling.  People don't care about what color or what sex you are, they care if you can get a job done.

2018-01-09 1:28 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Oysterboy I'm curious how much 2020 will come down to the re-election of Trump policy (which honestly is standard GOP/Heritage Foundation policy prescriptions) vs the Trump presidency (and all the derisive tweets that come with the territory). I really don't know how much a positive economy will trump (note the small "T") the fact that there is such a motivated base that wants to place a strong check on the executive branch. I don't doubt Tony's assessment that a lot of people will vote their pocketbooks, I'm just not sure if Trump's antics will drive these people to the polls. As far as the 2018 midterm, I'll just go with history here: "The party of the incumbent president tends to lose ground during midterm elections: over the past 21 midterm elections, the President's party has lost an average 30 seats in the House, and an average 4 seats in the Senate; moreover, in only two of those has the President's party gained seats in both houses" . (Wikipedia). Frankly, it will have to start raining dollar bills from the sky to otherwise change this likely outcome.
We don't even know if Trump will seek a second term. He is 71 now. Maybe he'd just like a life of leisure playing golf and playing with the grandkids? I honestly do not understand people who want to work their entire lives. McCain is a idiot and should have retired long ago. It is pure arrogance to think that your knowledge/wisdom/experience cannot be replaced. I got an email yesterday finding out someone had died that I knew. Well, knew of. About 2 or 3 years ago he celebrated his 50th anniversary at Boeing. I could not help but think: What an idiot! He worked until he died. The is so much more to life than working! Oh well, to each his own. I've always tried to be a live and let die kind of person....

Then again, if your full time job is getting treated like a celebrity and flying around in a personal jet every day I may consider doing that until I die.  haha

2018-01-09 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Rogillio
We don't even know if Trump will seek a second term. He is 71 now. Maybe he'd just like a life of leisure playing golf and playing with the grandkids? I honestly do not understand people who want to work their entire lives. McCain is a idiot and should have retired long ago. It is pure arrogance to think that your knowledge/wisdom/experience cannot be replaced. I got an email yesterday finding out someone had died that I knew. Well, knew of. About 2 or 3 years ago he celebrated his 50th anniversary at Boeing. I could not help but think: What an idiot! He worked until he died. The is so much more to life than working! Oh well, to each his own. I've always tried to be a live and let die kind of person....

Then again, if your full time job is getting treated like a celebrity and flying around in a personal jet every day I may consider doing that until I die.  haha

Not me! I enjoy my anonymity too much. POTUS cannot go anywhere in the world without being surrounded by guards and reporters.

Ever see the movie, "A Knight's Take" with Heath Ledger? In the movie the Prince of England would hide his royalty and go out among the people as just a regular guy. I don't envy celebrities at all! Sure it'd be nice to have my own 747 to fly around it.....but I'd be impeached it I spent a month hiking the AT or biking the Natchez Trace.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Distraction Rss Feed  

of 2