Other Resources The Political Joe » Oprah Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-09 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Oprah
Sure seems like many on the left were quick to jump on the Oprah for President bandwagon. I think what this points to is desperation and/or the lack of a strong leader in the DNC. They are banking on Oprah's star power to get her elected. But in the fly-over states she is a billionaire celebrity who has lived with a man for 20 or and never married him. She has never had children or raised a family. She is very articulate and well spoken and very likable like Obama so it would not surprise me if she is the DNC nominee. But politics is ugly and I don't know if she has the stomach for it.

Best advice I've heard (coming from a democrat) is that the democrats need to focus on the mid-terms and not 2020.

2018-01-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Oprah
I really don't think we need another celebrity running for prez. Presidenting is hard.
2018-01-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

This whole Oprah for President thing is just baffling to me. Someone gives an ok speech so they are deemed fit for president? That's how low the bar is set these days?? 

2018-01-09 11:46 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stacers

This whole Oprah for President thing is just baffling to me. Someone gives an ok speech so they are deemed fit for president? That's how low the bar is set these days?? 

Thanks Stacers.....whenever someone says to me, "every woman in the country will vote for Oprah",  I think of women like my daughters, my wife, yourself, and many others who can't be put in that category.....it's ridiculous. 

2018-01-09 12:02 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Thanks Stacers.....whenever someone says to me, "every woman in the country will vote for Oprah",  I think of women like my daughters, my wife, yourself, and many others who can't be put in that category.....it's ridiculous. 

It is very insulting to assume that conservative women would abandon their beliefs and switch parties just because the candidate is a female. Likewise, I would not expect progressives to vote for Niiki Haley if she were the republican on the ballot.
2018-01-09 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Rutro, the opposition has already started....

#MOFA (Make Oprah Fat Again)

(MOFA.gif)

Attachments
----------------
MOFA.gif (577KB - 1 downloads)

2018-01-09 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio

It is very insulting to assume that conservative women would abandon their beliefs and switch parties just because the candidate is a female. Likewise, I would not expect progressives to vote for Niiki Haley if she were the republican on the ballot.

It is definitely insulting to assume that women would vote solely based on gender. I'm no conservative, but I still wouldn't vote for Oprah. Her political beliefs probably align well with mine, and I respect her many philanthropic projects, but I'd like to see someone in the White House who understands how laws work at this point. 

2018-01-09 12:19 PM

User image

Pro

I wasn't so much thinking of party lines.  I think it's insulting to women to assume they will all vote for a woman......just because she's Oprah, or anyone else with zero weigh-in on issues. 

2018-01-09 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I wasn't so much thinking of party lines.  I think it's insulting to women to assume they will all vote for a woman......just because she's Oprah, or anyone else with zero weigh-in on issues. 

Yeah, I thought that is what I said.

What I thought I wrote is not what you thought I meant....or something like that.
2018-01-09 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I saw a poll somebody did that had her with a much higher approval rating than Trump, but 70% of people did not want her to run.  hah

I honestly think that people have to be a bit narcissistic and power hungry to run for political office and especially at that level.  I don't really see any of those traits in Oprah.  She clawed her way up from nothing to be one of the richest women in the world and lives an amazing lifestyle as her reward.  She does so many great things for charity and empowering women all over the world.  I just don't see her shifting into a narcissistic power type roll where she's sending the military in to hostile waters for whatever reason.

2018-01-09 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

There are a lot of Democrats that herald the checkbox as a far greater requirement than any experience or qualification.  If you're black and a woman, and oh my goodness if you're gay then you're the most qualified person in America.  ;-)

2018-01-09 1:39 PM

User image

Buttercup

Reagan managed to get elected.

Clinton managed to get elected.

W managed to get elected.

Trump managed to get elected.

It's hardly a stretch to think an articulate, wildly successful, never-bankrupted-any-company, thoughtful, billionaire media mega-superstar could get elected.

No doubt, the birther movement is feeling invigorated today.

2018-01-09 1:42 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Tejas
Renee !! Glad to see you're back.

I agree, Oprah is a force to be reckoned with.
2018-01-09 1:46 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Renee

It's hardly a stretch to think an articulate, wildly successful, never-bankrupted-any-company, thoughtful, billionaire media mega-superstar could get elected.

No question she could get elected.  Is there a birther thing with her?  I hadn't heard it so just curious.

There's also external events which can have a huge impact.  McCain was likely going to beat Obama in 2008, but the mortgage crash happened within a month of the election and it was all tied on Bush (and McCain's) neck.  I'm not saying Obama wouldn't have won without it, but it certainly helped him a great deal.

2018-01-09 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Hey Rene, we've missed you!

I have no doubt she could be elected. I never thought Obama would have been elected. Never thought Trump would be elected. Never thought GWB would be elected....twice.

But as Tony pointed out, I don't think she has the ambition/ego/narcissism for the job. I doubt too she'd want the responsibility for sending men and women to war. You have to have a pretty big ego think that you are the best/most qualified person in the US to run the country. She doesn't strike me as that type of person.

She does have nice hooters though so she might could get elected.

(that was just for you Rene because I know you think I am a Neanderthal)
2018-01-09 2:06 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

No question she could get elected.  Is there a birther thing with her?  I hadn't heard it so just curious.

There's also external events which can have a huge impact.  McCain was likely going to beat Obama in 2008, but the mortgage crash happened within a month of the election and it was all tied on Bush (and McCain's) neck.  I'm not saying Obama wouldn't have won without it, but it certainly helped him a great deal.

Tony, let's find a way to market Oprah birtherism! Gotta be a buck in that, invitations for interviews on Fox News, INFOwars, book deals. Man, a true entrepreneur could clean up!

2018-01-09 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
It just occurred to me, with the name of Oprah she could use Obama's logo with the big O. Just a thought.....
2018-01-09 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by tuwood

Tony, let's find a way to market Oprah birtherism! Gotta be a buck in that, invitations for interviews on Fox News, INFOwars, book deals. Man, a true entrepreneur could clean up!

I'm on it.   (Puts tinfoil on head)  ;-)

2018-01-10 12:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular

You left out Obama. many people believe he was qualified to be President because he delivered a great speech. The same reason people are now urging Oprah to run.

Lets be honest, Obama went from the mail room to the CEO's office. Its not a knock against him, but the JOB of President is hard and needs training. A partial term in the Senate is not enough training. I liked Rubio in the last election cycle, but he was in the same boat. He and Obama needed another term in the Senate to learn how things worked, developing the relationships needed to get things done.

Trump was a CEO, which provides some benefit, but has not learned how to play politics and learn how to horse trade to build consensus. He is used to his way or no way. Bush 43 was a governor who learned that skill and government, but was deficient in other areas. I actually think he was not a terrible President, but got us into a war with no strategy, which was his downfall. Clinton was a master of politics, but had little self control. Taking political affiliations out of it, Clinton, Bush 41 and Reagan are probably the best examples of what a President should be. They were reasonable men, with an ability to lead, who knew when to fight and when to compromise. Have a person like that run for President and I will vote for that person. Sadly today, neither party will nominate such a person.

Edited by hessma 2018-01-10 12:36 PM
2018-01-10 12:45 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

Okra will not be President.

2018-01-10 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Okra will not be President.

I agree but it would not surprise me if she is the DNC candidate. Right now at least the dems see her as the antithesis of Trump in terms but personality but the same as him in terms of celebrity. If Jessie Ventura can be elected governor and comedian Al Franken could be elected US Senator (both Minnesota) I won't rule anything out. And it is way too early to predict if she could beat Trump out of a second term is the DNC did nominate her.

I also tend to think of politicians as like photographs of old cars. They look good in photos but when you see them up close in real life you can see they are a POS. She has never run for office and subsequently has never been vetted. We have no idea what skeletons she has in her closet. I read on Wikapedia last night she smoked crack with one of her boyfriends. She is open about that and that is admirable.....but that will not sit well with soccer moms. She has a 'partner' for 20 years but they have never married. Liberals will say, "so what?!" but evangelicals will want to know why she has never married. Then of course you will have dozens of disgruntled former employees coming out of the woodwork telling tales about how abusive she was....and some #metoo people looking for ten minutes of fame......

BTW, I met Oprah years ago while visiting Chicago. She invited me to her office and closed the door and made sexual advances toward me. She was quite the pork chop at the time but fat chicks dig me.

Just making a point.....does she really want to go thru all that mess? I don't think so. At first I didn't understand why billionaire Trump wanted to run.....didn't take long to see is big ego.....HUGE! I don't see that in Oprah. One thing for certain, if she does run....she is crazy.

2018-01-10 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

no we don't rog.  no one is taking that seriously.  its a waste of time to even talk about it.

2018-01-10 6:02 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by dmiller5

no we don't rog.  no one is taking that seriously.  its a waste of time to even talk about it.

It’s being played up on every network and the MSM. I like Oprah but I don’t think she has the temperament, ego, ambition or balls to withstand an election. She has made a career out of being liked.

Sorry for wasting your time. :-)
2018-01-10 8:11 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

It’s being played up on every network and the MSM. I like Oprah but I don’t think she has the temperament, ego, ambition or balls to withstand an election. She has made a career out of being liked. Sorry for wasting your time. :-)

Gayle is throwing some shade:

http://people.com/tv/gayle-king-on-oprah-running-for-president/

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Oprah Rss Feed