General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Ready?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-11 8:01 PM

Subject: Am I Ready??
Hi there,

I'm signed up for my first triathlon, a Sprint distance triathlon (750m/20km/5km) on 3rd February. I was originally going to do a 200/10/5 but I didn't feel it was enough of a challenge.
I feel pretty confident I'll be ready to compete, my goal is certainly not to win but just to finish. However my friend who has done a few triathlons has said she's worried that I am underprepared.

My main worry is my swimming, I've been swimming up to 1200m in a pool, not in open water (the tri is in a lake, not the ocean). Is open water really that much more tiring? I've also mainly just been swimming breaststroke as my freestyle is not great. I can do 750m in the pool in about 23 mins.

I've been doing 15km bike rides and will be lengthening that to 20km next week. I have been running anywhere from 5-7km per run and Ive done a couple of brick workouts just to get used to the feeling of running off the bike.
I train 5-6 days a week.

My friend has got me worried, do you think I'll be ready?

Thanks all

2018-01-11 8:17 PM
in reply to: buckmaster

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Am I Ready??
Your training is fine to finish the race. Just don't try to go faster than you normally do workouts. The biggest problem is the swim. Breaststroke is not tri friendly. If you swim outside of the pack things will be fine, but if you try to swim in the middle of a lot of folks you will be kicking people in the face a lot. So if you are polite and don't swim near a lot of people this will be less of an issue. If you want to do a lot of tris in the future you will want to get functional in freestyle. Enjoy your day. Also, take in a few calories on the bike, not too much just 100-200 depending on your paces.
2018-01-11 9:38 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

Thanks for your reply
I hadn't really thought about the practicalities of the kicking in breaststroke, I'll have to be mindful of my surroundings.
Thanks!
2018-01-11 10:23 PM
in reply to: buckmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

The swim is hard to predict in a lake.  If there is a strong wind you may find it harder to maintain your momentum but if you can pool swim 1200m you can do the swim.  As Baowolf says, just watch your kick so you don't kick anyone.  My Australian coach always tells us polite Canucks not to pause to apologize for accidentally hitting someone and keep swimming.  NEVER stop swimming.

The bike is no problem.  If you can bike for 15km you can do 20 km.  Just keep moving forward.

Getting off the bike and running can be a challenge but keep practicing the bricks and you'll be fine.  My weakness in my longer races is the running and I still finish.  I've even walked 21 km in several of my harder half ironman races.

If the lake isn't too far go there with swimming friends and try it out.  This will help you a lot.  Do it as often as you can before the race.

HAVE FUN!!!  Triathlons are a lot of fun.  Pace yourself and don't race other athletes.  Either they are in better shape than you and you will blow up or they are the same as you and they will blow up and fall behind because they tried to go too fast.  Make sure to pay attention to what you are doing and what works or doesn't work during your race.  Your first race is an important training day - for example I learned I had to have quick tie shoelaces in my first Tri.

Don't listen to your friends that tell you, you're not ready.  A sprint is just 90 to 120 minute workout.  If the voice in your head is telling you that you're not ready just ignore him.  I haven't had a triathlon that I didn't stand at the edge of a lake and think, "What the heck am I doing here?"  

Don't use anything new on race day.

Ask questions if you have any and come back after your race and tell us how you made out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Ready?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5.10.17 I am 47 years young today!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 836 Posts: 14

2017-05-11 12:36 AM Shermbelle

Can I get ready for IM in 12 months

Started by modum13
Views: 1243 Posts: 10

2017-04-30 2:28 PM Crazypop

Ready to simplify/condense the forums?

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 741 Posts: 6

2017-04-11 10:19 AM LundyLund

Am I on my way to being ready for the full IM?

Started by swibiru2
Views: 984 Posts: 2

2017-04-08 1:21 AM Baowolf

Minimal swimming to get ready for 70.3?

Started by nc452010
Views: 1651 Posts: 10

2017-08-30 3:51 PM marti038