General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mobile phone Or fitness Tracker? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-17 4:00 AM

Subject: Mobile phone Or fitness Tracker?
Hi guys, Alice here.

I'm beginner runner now. I'll tell my story.

Six months ago my friend challenged me to complete a Half Marathon. And I - a girl with no experience on running, never run 1 miles per week, have to go on road every morning xD.

On three months, I didn't know about any calculating tools to improve my running. I just went out and run. 1 month after, I brought my mobile phone with me with the aim to record the time I spent on road and every laps. With this help I felt better everytime I run.

However, yesterday. my friend told me that time is not enough. I need to focus more on heart beat and cadence, stride, etc... And to do that I need a fitness tracker....

Is it really necessary to use a fitness tracker If I want to run faster? ( My best record now for a half-marathon: 1 hour 50 mins)

2018-01-17 7:03 AM
in reply to: runningislife

Subject: RE: Mobile phone Or fitness Tracker?
Is it really necessary? I mean people have been running with nothing more than a watch forever....

But can a hr monitor etc help you train better? Absolutely. But its really about how you are going to use it. I wasn't sure I needed anymore more than time/distance last year until I got my first watch. Now I have the best watch you can buy and am addicted to the stats. I love it. Considering you can get one for pretty cheap (start at $100 for a garmin band) and use it as a watch too, I would say its well worth it. If you do get one, just go garmin.
2018-01-17 4:55 PM
in reply to: #5235375

I started with using my phone for tracking my riding but didn't like having to mount it on my handlebars to see the data. Now I have a bike computer and a fitness watch and I am addicted to stats. It makes planning workouts much easier.
2018-01-18 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Necessary? Not at all. Can it help if you're trying to eke out every benefit of your training? Sure.

I don't run any more, but I ride a lot. The only thing I use is my phone with Strava running, safely tucked into a jersey pocket until the ride is over.

It might be a help to track your pace over certain distances (or regular running loops) occasionally, getting and resetting your baseline. But what you're after mostly is being able to extend your long runs (at a comfortable pace) into the realm of 10+ miles before your event day.

2018-01-22 8:13 AM
in reply to: toomanyhobbies

Originally posted by toomanyhobbies

Is it really necessary? I mean people have been running with nothing more than a watch forever....

But can a hr monitor etc help you train better? Absolutely. But its really about how you are going to use it. I wasn't sure I needed anymore more than time/distance last year until I got my first watch. Now I have the best watch you can buy and am addicted to the stats. I love it. Considering you can get one for pretty cheap (start at $100 for a garmin band) and use it as a watch too, I would say its well worth it. If you do get one, just go garmin.

Hi there toomanyhobbies.
Thanks for comment.

I get your idea. Maybe it worth it. Then beside distance and time. what's the most important stats that you focus on?
Moreover, what's your first watch band?
It'll help me much!
2018-01-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: B.K

Originally posted by B.K

I started with using my phone for tracking my riding but didn't like having to mount it on my handlebars to see the data. Now I have a bike computer and a fitness watch and I am addicted to stats. It makes planning workouts much easier.

I think it no other way than get one. Especially when seriuously training, right. So the same question with toomanyhobbies, what's brand you used? xD

2018-01-22 8:18 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Originally posted by briderdt

Necessary? Not at all. Can it help if you're trying to eke out every benefit of your training? Sure.

I don't run any more, but I ride a lot. The only thing I use is my phone with Strava running, safely tucked into a jersey pocket until the ride is over.

It might be a help to track your pace over certain distances (or regular running loops) occasionally, getting and resetting your baseline. But what you're after mostly is being able to extend your long runs (at a comfortable pace) into the realm of 10+ miles before your event day.

You're right... But, there's a problem that my Strava is never right(It could be the affect of weak GPS). I usually get wrong stats at the end of my running session. that's why I wonder about getting a activity tracker.
2018-01-23 10:05 AM

I can't tell you if it's necessary or not.
I should think that if used properly, you can leverage all sorts of improvement from it all.
I also think it can be a lot of horsehooey if not used properly. It's all about what you do with it.

That being said.....

I think you should record your miles. As you noted, you've never been a runner.....neither was I. I wasn't an anything, except a really good eater.

I'm really proud of my miles. And while I've migrated back and forth between platforms.....my Garmin now updates Strava....which updates Mapmyrun/ride. Because Mapmy is what I started with. It has all my original miles from when I only had tracking via phone. It's my mileage repository. And if it ever when the way of Myspace, I would be heartbroken if I couldn't get all those files and deposit them somewhere else.
2018-01-29 3:05 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

Originally posted by jhaack39

I can't tell you if it's necessary or not.
I should think that if used properly, you can leverage all sorts of improvement from it all.
I also think it can be a lot of horsehooey if not used properly. It's all about what you do with it.

That being said.....

I think you should record your miles. As you noted, you've never been a runner.....neither was I. I wasn't an anything, except a really good eater.

I'm really proud of my miles. And while I've migrated back and forth between platforms.....my Garmin now updates Strava....which updates Mapmyrun/ride. Because Mapmy is what I started with. It has all my original miles from when I only had tracking via phone. It's my mileage repository. And if it ever when the way of Myspace, I would be heartbroken if I couldn't get all those files and deposit them somewhere else.

You're doing good my friend.

I have to learn from you.
And I decide to buy a waterproof tracker (in case I want to cross-training with swimming )

And now I'm learning to use my new Garmin Forerunner 735 XT along with Strava, what a great combo!
2018-01-29 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Let's be clear that there's a difference between a fitness tracker and a GPS watch.  I'd advocate for a GPS watch with a HR sensor.

Is it necessary? It's not.  You'll be able to do a lot with knowing your paces from your phone combined with perceived effort.

However, I do pretty much all my run training based on HR.  It really helps me control my training and paces on each individual run, as well as scaling my efforts as my fitness increases over time.

By the way, good job on a 1:50 HM! Sounds to me like you have a lot of potential.

2018-01-30 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Not necessary, as others said.  Sometimes people become a slave to them, to the detriment of their training.  This happened to me.  The day I accidentally left my Garmin in a hotel room in New Hampshire was a good day, as it turned out.

Until and unless you really begin to push your personal potential as a runner (and most of us are nowhere near doing so) the formula for improving is very simple:  run as much as you can (i.e., fitness, health, and time permitting).  Most of the time (90%) run at an easy pace.  Occasionally run harder than that.  You can mix it up as you like.  (Some weeks you might do one run at a strong pace.  Some weeks you might do a session of intervals, or hill repetitions, etc.  Enjoy mixing it up.  Have fun.)

What's easy?  You should finish the run feeling like you could go out and do it again.  Right away.

By the way, the formula doesn't change much even once you are seriously pushing your potential.  It just gets more structured and you begin to make finer distinctions.  The HRM can be useful for the latter although it also introduces numerous complexities that you will need to learn (and if you aren't willing to invest the time and effort to learn them then it is really doing you very little good and possibly doing you harm).

For the former (structure) you are best off consulting a coach or following a well-tested published plan.  And even if you are not pushing your potential, such a plan can be helpful (but by no means necessary) to keep you honest and just to impose some general 'good structure' on your running.  Choose a plan that is suited to your ability.  For example, if you are currently running 25 miles per week, don't choose a plan that starts you at 50 miles per week.  If you have never run intervals, don't choose a plan that is heavy on intervals.  Etc.

2018-01-30 3:39 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Necessary, no, but there are definitely benefits to using aids such as a phone app/ GPS watch for pacing, and HRM if using them properly. All of this will help you dial in your RPE then the aids become acknowledgement of what your doing.  Last July I was roped into doing a Ragnar run relay and started training in earnest again after a few years of half-hearted training with no racing.  My old GPS watch was dead so I used an app on my phone. 

For pacing, you can enter your recent HM time in at McMillan Running calculator and enter a goal time and it will provide you training paces.  You can use your phone and an app such as Runkeeper and can have it audibly spit out distance and pace info for as low as each 1/4 mile interval.  I've done this on & off for the past 2 years, simple.  After runs you can look at the maps, mile splits, elevation and run cadence charts.

My wife and I picked up some discontinued TomTom Runner watches off of Amazon for dirt cheap at Christmas time.  I just used mine yesterday for the 1st time with a Wahoo HRM strap that I had.  I've done plenty of HR field testing over the past 12 years so am familiar with it all.  Just learned something that I should have known, my RPE is off and I've been running too slow, but it's gotten me to this point so now I can do some smarter training heading into my next run relay event in May.  For doing HR field testing take a look at this BT article.  BT also has HR zone calculator that can calc the HR zones based on the threshold result (Gear on upper right/Settings/Training log settings/HR Zone manager).

I don't pay a lot of attention to cadence.  Its more or less a natural thing that will increase as you run faster.  There are three ways to increase pacing; increase turnover, increase stride length, combo of the two.  I find I cruise at around 160-180 steps per min or so naturally, fast running I increase to 185-195.

Best of luck on your running, a 1:50 is awesome for your 1st time out and as you "mature" over time you'll be amazed how much faster you can get.  BTW, what's your next goal?

2018-01-30 4:20 PM
in reply to: #5235443

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I have a TomTom Runner 3. It seems you have gone for the Garmin, a popular choice.

I use my watch for different purposes and stats depending on what I am training. For the pool it is handy for counting laps because I always lose count and afterwards I can review my lap splits.

For running I program intervals which means I can focus on my pace on the watch.

For cycling I am mostly focusing on heart rate.
2018-02-19 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
If the 735XT is in your budget than for sure get that one, it should work well I have a 920XT that has a lot of the same features.

My $0.02 about running, a lot of what I've learned here on BT over the last 8-9 years.

To become a better runner

1. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard
2. Do not increase distance more than 10% week over week (to avoid injury)

I ran for a couple years with just a Timex watch. I paid no attention to cadence, HR etc. I just ran.

I would use mapmyrun.com to figure out a course. I would run that, use my Timex to determine pace. I didn't know my pace for each mile but I didn't have to.

I think a lot of people get all hung up with the gadgetry and overthinking all the metrics.

Just friggin' run
2019-06-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Oops! missed that this was an older thread.  I however didn't use a fitness tracker my first 30 years of running/  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-06-20 8:50 AM
2019-06-20 10:39 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I use Strava to track on my phone. Since my HRM is bluetooth, it works just dandy... unless I leave battery saver mode on, that is.

2019-06-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #5235375

Not a phone or a GPS tracker but if you want to get seriously in tracking stats with real feedback check out the milestone foot pod it tracks thing that a GPS watch or phone can't. I paid $30 one of the best investments I've ever made when it come to running. I believe zwift just bought the company out and the pod now works with treadmill running also.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mobile phone Or fitness Tracker? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Did you enjoy your new fitness on race day?

Started by nc452010
Views: 784 Posts: 5

2017-07-11 7:00 PM nc452010

Run fitness complimenting bike fitness?

Started by zedzded
Views: 1201 Posts: 8

2017-05-02 9:55 PM Bripod