Other Resources The Political Joe » Government Shutdown Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-01-20 7:19 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Government Shutdown
Today the Congress, specifically the Democrats, have proven that non-citizens are more important to them than the people they are sworn to represent. I'd like to say I want to get out of this country but that probably wont happen. I am simply disgusted at what this country has become. I just dont even know what to say. Please dont tell me DACA people were brought here as kids, etc....I just dont care, they are in the country illegally. Period.

If non citizens are represented and get more benefits than the tax paying citizens of this country, then America no longer exists.

One more thing....Anyone who votes for ANY incumbent in the next election cycle needs their head examined. Voting the same people with the same tired ideas, with the same party politics is the reason we are in this mess. Time to get rid of the entire bunch and start over.

2018-01-20 8:16 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Government Shutdown
Plenty of blame to go around here, no one walks away without egg on their face. Hopefully they get their act together soon because shutdowns cost a lot of money.
We hear the "throw the bums out" call every couple of years but it doesn't happen. More important would be to reform those institutions that result in the political polarization, this is what is driving these idiotic stunts.
2018-01-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Plenty of blame to go around here, no one walks away without egg on their face. Hopefully they get their act together soon because shutdowns cost a lot of money.
We hear the "throw the bums out" call every couple of years but it doesn't happen. More important would be to reform those institutions that result in the political polarization, this is what is driving these idiotic stunts.

The fox is running the hen house when it comes to reform. The party system is completely broken and needs to be blown up. They only exist to keep themselves in power, not to do what is right for the people. I'd say term limits are a start, but that goes back my opening sentence.
2018-01-20 10:34 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
X2 on term limits. The people leading either party have so many axes to grind that they've forgotten who they work for. They're more concerned with payback than they are with fixing what the people want fixed. Both parties still don't get it. They are the reason Donald Trump is sitting in the WH.
2018-01-20 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by Oysterboy Plenty of blame to go around here, no one walks away without egg on their face. Hopefully they get their act together soon because shutdowns cost a lot of money. We hear the "throw the bums out" call every couple of years but it doesn't happen. More important would be to reform those institutions that result in the political polarization, this is what is driving these idiotic stunts.
The fox is running the hen house when it comes to reform. The party system is completely broken and needs to be blown up. They only exist to keep themselves in power, not to do what is right for the people. I'd say term limits are a start, but that goes back my opening sentence.

I'm with you on term limits as well.  The parties are still strong, but they both took a major hit this year with Trump nuking the Republican establishment and Hillary virtually destroying the DNC.  I know they're still there, but they're not the same parties they were 4 years ago.

2018-01-20 2:24 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Denver

Trump has been saying for months that he hopes there's a shutdown and he personally tanked a bipartison deal to keep the government open, so he was right when he said “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead. When they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time. They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington. So I really think the pressure is on the president,”

But term limits are just a band aid. The problem is the system, not the people. Put new people in and they'll just do the same things because the systems is so F'd up. Gerrymandering means many races are decided in the primaries, which leads to the most extreme people getting elected. The massive amount of money needed to run a campaign and the massive amounts of unaccountable money sloshing around in the system means that politicians spend most of their time begging for donations, and the rest of the little time they have left doing stuff for the people who gave them the massive donations. So it's no surprise that regular people get screwed. And just putting new faces in the same machine won't change the outcome.

2018-01-20 2:54 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro

Shutdown means absolutely nothing.........grandstanding silliness.

A few Federal workers will not get paid, a few Federal facilities will not be open, a few tons of trash will not get picked up in DC, and then they'll come to an agreement and all the Federal workers will get back pay, the facilities will be up and running, and the trash will be picked up......just like every other time there has been a shutdown.

2018-01-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by drewb8

Trump has been saying for months that he hopes there's a shutdown and he personally tanked a bipartison deal to keep the government open, so he was right when he said “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead. When they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time. They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington. So I really think the pressure is on the president,”

But term limits are just a band aid. The problem is the system, not the people. Put new people in and they'll just do the same things because the systems is so F'd up. Gerrymandering means many races are decided in the primaries, which leads to the most extreme people getting elected. The massive amount of money needed to run a campaign and the massive amounts of unaccountable money sloshing around in the system means that politicians spend most of their time begging for donations, and the rest of the little time they have left doing stuff for the people who gave them the massive donations. So it's no surprise that regular people get screwed. And just putting new faces in the same machine won't change the outcome.

I read an interesting thing about a form of gerrymandering the other day.  The US Census counts illegal aliens towards overall population and congressional seats are based on population.  California gets an extra 5 house seats because of illegal aliens and it also effects electoral votes in presidential elections.

2018-01-21 1:07 AM

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by drewb8

I read an interesting thing about a form of gerrymandering the other day.  The US Census counts illegal aliens towards overall population and congressional seats are based on population.  California gets an extra 5 house seats because of illegal aliens and it also effects electoral votes in presidential elections.

Actually it looks like CA only gets a couple of extra seats at most, although it would be interesting to see how many illegal immigrants actually participate and allow themselves to be counted. The House of Reps is a whole other thing since they capped the number of reps, but in any case you'd need a constitutional amendment to change it since it's crystal clear that everyone gets counted.

2018-01-21 6:22 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Republicans just need to go nuclear and kill the filibuster and pass the CR with a simple majority.
2018-01-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Rogillio

Republicans just need to go nuclear and kill the filibuster and pass the CR with a simple majority.

This is not a new idea, the current rules allow the minority to have a strong voice in the Senate as long as the majority does not exceed 60 seats. Blowing it up will solve the current impasse but once you do this, are you gonna be good with the outcome once the Dems take back the Senate as this will eventually happen. Think about the unintended consequences.

2018-01-21 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

This is not a new idea, the current rules allow the minority to have a strong voice in the Senate as long as the majority does not exceed 60 seats. Blowing it up will solve the current impasse but once you do this, are you gonna be good with the outcome once the Dems take back the Senate as this will eventually happen. Think about the unintended consequences.

I understand completely. Harry Reid changes the rules and it bit dems in the arse. But we seem to be a greatly divided country and unable to find compromise/consensus and you cannot run Congress if ‘the other side’ won’t compromise. The idea of holding government funding hostage to force thru unrelated illegal immigration reform is no way to run congress. The politics of this stinks and hurts both parties and hurts America.

If reps change the rules they will have at least thru Nov to pass whatever they want. Dems may take Congress but not with a veto override majority.
2018-01-21 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I understand completely. Harry Reid changes the rules and it bit dems in the arse. But we seem to be a greatly divided country and unable to find compromise/consensus and you cannot run Congress if ‘the other side’ won’t compromise. The idea of holding government funding hostage to force thru unrelated illegal immigration reform is no way to run congress. The politics of this stinks and hurts both parties and hurts America.

If reps change the rules they will have at least thru Nov to pass whatever they want. Dems may take Congress but not with a veto override majority.

Yes, this is the easy fix. But the easy fix is rarely the best way to fix a significant problem. We need to make some changes in the system that produces these problems.
2018-01-21 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio Republicans just need to go nuclear and kill the filibuster and pass the CR with a simple majority.

I get what you're saying but honestly I don't think we have a choice.  The Republicans in the Senate blocked virtually 100% of anything Obama wanted to do, including his nominations and the Democrats are doing it today.

The country and politics are far more different today and it seems as thought the people WANT their representatives to obstruct the other guy at all costs and they're doing it.  Republicans cheered the blocking done when Obama was in office and Democrats were cheering with the ACA overhaul and such.
With the new weaponized obstruction we have no choice but to go to simple majority for everything in the Senate.  If you have control then you get to pass your agenda, if you don't then you don't.
It's easy to say they need to just work together, but the people don't want that, the people want obstruction.

2018-01-21 9:27 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was thinking that the Republican strategy was likely to let the Democrats show that they were only about obstruction and shut the government down so they could justify changing the rules. 

And there you have it...

2018-01-21 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

2018-01-21 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

" But we seem to be a greatly divided country and unable to find compromise."

We have a greatly divided government; I don't think the people are as divided. Both ends of the spectrum are running the government whilst kicking common sense to the curb. It wasn't that long ago that Chucnk Schumer, Nans and Hillary were screaming to put up a wall and eject illegals. Now they're ignoring common sense compromise and making a "stand" just because Trump beat their girl. Both sides pull the same stunt, the democrats are just better at it. We the people suffer their BS.
2018-01-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

Oh CNN, you guys are so cute... 

https://news.grabien.com/story-cnn-govt-shutdown-risks-undetected-asteroid-strike

Global warming has caused an increase in near earth asteroid events. The uneven heating has created a great vacuum, pulling loose objects towards earth like never before. The galaxy is imploding in on mother earth because you (and my wife) drive an SUV. Trust me, the science is there to support this theory...

Edited by mdg2003 2018-01-21 11:06 AM
2018-01-21 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

Yes, this is the easy fix. But the easy fix is rarely the best way to fix a significant problem. We need to make some changes in the system that produces these problems.

Of course a simply majority was what the founding fathers intended.....but what do they know!? :-). Maybe they anticipated stalemates and for budgetary issues that was not acceptable.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-01-21 11:38 AM
2018-01-21 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio Republicans just need to go nuclear and kill the filibuster and pass the CR with a simple majority.
I understand completely. Harry Reid changes the rules and it bit dems in the arse. But we seem to be a greatly divided country and unable to find compromise/consensus and you cannot run Congress if ‘the other side’ won’t compromise. The idea of holding government funding hostage to force thru unrelated illegal immigration reform is no way to run congress. The politics of this stinks and hurts both parties and hurts America. If reps change the rules they will have at least thru Nov to pass whatever they want. Dems may take Congress but not with a veto override majority.
Of course a simply majority was what the founding fathers intended.....but what do they know!? :-). Maybe they anticipated stalemates and for budgetary issues that was not acceptable.

I slept through most history classes, but I believe it was created with a simple majority and then people started filibustering to permanently prevent laws from being passed.  As a result they added the cloture rule that 60 senators could vote to put a time limit on the filibuster and therefore breaking it.

2018-01-22 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I work for a defense contractor and got an email yesterday saying I needed to report to work as the company has not received an stop work orders. Darn! I was kinda hoping to go to the lake and wet a hook.....oh well, supposed to rain today amyway. I have no issue at all taking a few days or weeks or even months off....unfortunately a lot of people live hand-to-mouth and cannot afford to miss even one paycheck.

The more I read and watch on the news the more convinced I am that the dems have over played their hand. It is not playing out the way they'd planned. The reps out maneuvered them when they passed a bi-partisan bill that was only about funding the government and the dems rejected it to gain try to gain leverage to protect illegal immigrants. Or is the term unlawful immigrants.....or undocumented immigrants? Or are they dreamers? Dems call them dreamers and call me deplorable. I don't care what ya call me.....just don't call me late for dinner.

2018-01-22 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I understand completely. Harry Reid changes the rules and it bit dems in the arse. But we seem to be a greatly divided country and unable to find compromise/consensus and you cannot run Congress if ‘the other side’ won’t compromise. The idea of holding government funding hostage to force thru unrelated illegal immigration reform is no way to run congress. The politics of this stinks and hurts both parties and hurts America. If reps change the rules they will have at least thru Nov to pass whatever they want. Dems may take Congress but not with a veto override majority.

So I am pretty darn Conservative/Right Wing, and I do agree with this statement.  But....  I think sometimes failure is necessary to create progress.  Maybe this shutdown will result in compromise.  Or it will just highlight the stupidity of the people elected to those positions.  If the Dems want to hold up things for DACA, and the Repubs also want to deal with DACA, then get it done...

In all honesty, I don't see the shutdown affecting me what-so-ever.  So I am just as happy to let it keep going.  I did see one show where they mentioned that some Dems have mentioned doing this specifically to hurt Trumps 1 year anniversary.  And that some are talking about symbolically continuing with the shutdown until after his State of the Union address.

I think if that happens, then they need to be hammered as it would easily be seen as strictly partisan politics.

2018-01-22 11:35 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

Shutdown is basically over after an agreement was reached.......and in the best line of the weekend, Schumer says, "the shutdown is something the Republicans could have completely avoided."

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! 

2018-01-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2018-01-22 3:14 PM

User image

Pro

That party caved for one reason......even CNN was running editorials that mimicked their own polls......the large majority of people didn't want the budget and DACA woven together.  They didn't want it for the same reason they'll re-elect Trump once nobody is looking at who they vote for......money. 

Maybe I wouldn't get so tired of the grandstanding on "feel good" issues if their ideology wasn't so obviously exposed.

In case you aren't paying attention......the stock market was BOOMING again today.  LOL

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Government Shutdown Rss Feed  

of 2