General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-06 4:25 AM

Subject: Questions about Triathlon
Hey all, I am new with this sport and have a few questions (biking) about what happens and what to do at certain situation in an event.

1) Would a 700 x 23c bike be fit enough for the event? I'm afraid I might pop the inner-tube during the course. Also I'll like recommendations on what brand I should consider for inner tubes.

2) In a situation where my inner tube pops during the race, am I disqualified or do I replace the tube (requiring to bring my toolkit)?

I hope you guys can give me hand with the introduction to the triathlon game.
Thanks

2018-02-06 8:12 AM
in reply to: Minjun

User image

Haymarket, VA
Subject: RE: Questions about Triathlon

My tri bike has a 700 x 23 tire and has served me quite well through several seasons, so you should be fine as well.  As for if your inner tube pops, you are certainly welcome to change it and continue racing.  The only stipulation/restriction when it comes to these sort of things is that you can't accept outside support.  So no-one can hand you a spare inner tube, no-one can help you change the tire, etc.  The only exception to this rule is if the event has specific mobile bike support.  In that situation you may accept help from them.  

2018-02-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

700x23 is fine.  You'll see plenty of them at races.

As stated, you can change it during the race.  At least for longer races, people will generally carry a spare tube, along with a tire iron (lever) or two and a canister of CO2 to blow up the new tire.  For an IM I carry two tubes and canisters (though have never had to use them that I can recall).  Some people who are very 'results-oriented' as opposed to 'finish-oriented' will opt to forego the tire change kit in shorter races where the time lost to changing the tire will pretty much guarantee finishing outside of the pointy end of the field.  In those races, if they flat, the race is effectively over for them.  But it makes sense, I would say, pretty much for anybody to carry one in longer races.  (You can lose 3-5 minutes in an IM and your finishing place could still change very little.)

Choice of tube is somewhat of a trade-off between lowering rolling resistance (increasing speed) and playing it safe with regard to flats.  Go to a well-outfitted bike shop and they should have everything from pretty much bullet-proof tubes (very slow) to high-performance latex tubes (very fast) which are more finicky to install properly and even when properly installed do run a higher risk of flatting.

And I'll add:  Flat tires are rare if you maintain your equipment well and (here's the most important part) install the tubes properly.  I've got a tube on my road bike (nothing special -- just a humdrum tube for training) that I'm dying to flat because I hate the stem on it, and the stupid thing has lasted over 4500 miles so far.

Edited by Experior 2018-02-06 12:16 PM
2018-02-06 1:42 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by mleech77

The only stipulation/restriction when it comes to these sort of things is that you can't accept outside support.  So no-one can hand you a spare inner tube, no-one can help you change the tire, etc.  The only exception to this rule is if the event has specific mobile bike support.  In that situation you may accept help from them.  

Outside assistance means non-participants.  You can accept help from a fellow participant.  I've handed out spare tubes, given away a multi-tool, that sort of thing.  There are many stories of people stopping to help others in need.

And even if non-participants, then if it's "neutral support" not intended for one particular participant than it's generally not a problem.  For example, I've seen kids handing out jelly beans, people living in houses on the side of the run course with sprinklers setup for for people to run through, I took a long sleeve T-shirt once at Ironman Canada from a couple with a box of old clothes handing them out to anyone wanting them.  You might get a penalty for that if you're a professional, but as an age-grouper no one is going to mind. 

2018-02-06 2:42 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Franklin, TN

I don't understand why people ever forgo a tire change kit.  You can strap the essentials on under the seat or in bottle behind the seat...no aero penalty.  Whether you're results oriented or not you'd still have to wait (however long) for someone to pick you up and haul you back to T2.

2018-02-06 3:27 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

People will believe all sorts of things about aerodynamics and it really is very difficult to know what is true in any specific situation.  The only almost-always correct answer is 'it depends'.

But yes, 'almost-always' there is somewhere that a small flat kit can be tucked without penalty and maybe even (inside an aero bottle or similar device) with a small boost.  Where?  It depends.

2018-02-06 3:32 PM
in reply to: Minjun

User image

Haymarket, VA

Even if it's a mini-sprint at my local small series I always have a kit with me.  The way I look at it, if I have to change during a mini sprint, sure that's knocking me out of any chances for a podium, but it's giving me experience in changing a tire so when it isn't a race killer I'm faster.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jorge's Plan Cycling Zone Calculator question

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1396 Posts: 9

2017-03-20 12:24 PM kloofyroland

Swim technique question (rotation)

Started by mcmanusclan5
Views: 676 Posts: 2

2017-02-15 12:47 PM Goggles Pizzano

beginner question about a bike size