General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Re-Beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-06 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: Re-Beginner

The Percheron is ba-a--a-ck!  They are bigger than a Clydesdale, and so am I.

It's been a string of tough years.  It seems like every year it was an injury or surgery that ruined my season.  But I've got the go-ahead from my doctor and I am re-entering the ring.  Old Marines just don't know how (when) to quit.

Brief Bio:   I am a 59 yr old retired law enforcement officer who worked 23 years of maximum security prisons.  Retired in 2008 and started substitute teaching for golf money.  Packed on pounds and started walking daily.  Then the DW wanted to go along, but she couldn't go fast enough or long enough.  So after she left for work I'd go out and walk again.  After a few weeks I decided to ride my bike for a change of pace.  A few weeks later I figured, "What the heck, I have a membership at the Y.  Let's add swimming for variety."  That year I dropped 55 pounds and completed two sprints.  I am sorry to say that in the string of misfortunes I gained it all back, plus some.  So here we go again.  Another motivator for me is that I have joined the 100 Mile Swim Club at my YMCA.  I swam competitively in high school and college, rather enjoy riding bicycle even if I'm not very fast.  But I absolutely hate to run.  Probably not a problem anymore, since my doc says not to.  But I see race-walkers in my age group who are who are turning in times as good as any I had running in the Corps.

I'm a Silver member (it's a small price to pay for this environment) and am starting the Couch-to-Sprint plan this week.  I hope to re-establish the Clydesdale/Athena forum/mentor group. The goal for this year is to finally do the local triathlon, The Lumberjack Triathlon in Duboistown, PA.  It's a sprint, and it happens to run right past my house.

My training log is always public, so feel free to stop by, congratulate, cajole, or kick me in the pants if you think I need it.

ETA: Nowadays I keep my mind busy teaching high school Science.  My classes include Life Science(7th), Biology(9th), Anatomy(11th, Environmental(12th), APBiology(11th & 12th), and STEM (10th, 11th, & 12th).  Plus I coach our Academic Decathlon team.  I've seen the effects of "use or lose it" on my body and do not want that to happen to my mind.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2018-02-06 6:15 PM

2018-02-07 5:23 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Re-Beginner

Welcome back, Mike!

2018-02-07 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Welcome back! I'm trying to get back on the triathlon horse as well. After not having done a race in two years, I'm fishing around for a training plan... Best of luck with your training!

2018-02-08 2:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome back, good to see ya 'round these parts again!

2018-02-26 8:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

BTW, I put my money where my mouth is and upgraded to Gold membership today.  I am committed to the Lumberjack Tri (sprint) in August this summer.

Two weeks after that, it is my plan to celebrate my 60th birthday by bicycling the 61 miles of the Pine Creek Rails-to-Trails bike path from Ansonia to Jersey Shore, PA.

2018-04-04 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I had the "end of the marking period" crunch, last minute homeworks being turned in and graded, lots of religious activities (Catholic school), and of course, Easter break.  I was a little busy.

BUT, I did not let that stop me from squeezing my workouts.  I finished March exactly on pace.  I had never followed a plan before and the idea of a "recovery week" was total anathema to a hard charging Marine, even an old one.  But I think I could learn to appreciate those weeks.

For all of March I only got to get my bike out for two real road rides.  Can somebody explain something to me?  How is it possible, on an out and back course, to have to work against a headwind BOTH ways!?

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Re-Beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from a 39 year old beginner!

Started by qsjcraig
Views: 1320 Posts: 8

2018-06-23 4:56 PM qsjcraig

Beginner or Newbie I will be!

Started by SoggyDollars
Views: 844 Posts: 6

2017-10-10 2:44 PM SoggyDollars

NYC / NJ beginner looking for training buddies