General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after knee surgery. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-13 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Returning to training after knee surgery.

I recently had to have my knee scoped to repair a torn meniscus.  The injury kind of came out of no where, my right knee just started to hurt and swell a few hours after a run where I didn't stumble, fall, twist, trip, or do anything usually associated with a knee injury.  My ortho is confident I will be able to return to training but hasn't really given me much information of the best route to go about this. 

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience in this and would be willing to share.  I'm currently 4 weeks post injury and 2 weeks post surgery.  I'm mostly symptom free, I still have a little deficit in range of motion but not a lot of pain.  My knee gets a little sore at the end of the day but is getting better.  My ortho hasn't had me do any PT yet, I see him again tomorrow and will discuss it then.  Thanks in advance for any info.

2018-02-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Returning to training after knee surgery.

I had meniscus repair and ACL replacement several years ago.

The best advice I can give: 

1. Make it clear to your ortho that you want to be able exercise, including run, again (this is not true of 99% of the people they see)
  2. Make it clear to your ortho (or whoever handles your PT) that you are willing to work and deal with whatever pain is involved in the therapy (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).
  3. Actually do the PT work that is prescribed (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).

I've done numerous short and long races, both running and triathlon, since my surgery, with very few knee-related issues along the way, and I'm convinced it's because somebody else gave me this same advice, and I followed it.

(EDIT) Oh, and be patient.

Edited by Experior 2018-02-13 4:21 PM
2018-02-14 4:59 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Experior

I had meniscus repair and ACL replacement several years ago.

The best advice I can give: 

1. Make it clear to your ortho that you want to be able exercise, including run, again (this is not true of 99% of the people they see)
  2. Make it clear to your ortho (or whoever handles your PT) that you are willing to work and deal with whatever pain is involved in the therapy (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).
  3. Actually do the PT work that is prescribed (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).

I've done numerous short and long races, both running and triathlon, since my surgery, with very few knee-related issues along the way, and I'm convinced it's because somebody else gave me this same advice, and I followed it.

(EDIT) Oh, and be patient.

To add from my experience, ^^^this.^^^

Another thing I would add is to make sure you continue to do the PT/strength work that will support your knee(s) going forward.  Also might want to have your PT try to figure out what injured it in the first place so you can address the underlying cause.

Good luck!

2018-02-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.

Thanks for the tips, I start PT today and got the 'ok' from the doc to get in the pool.  

2018-04-16 6:09 PM
in reply to: jeremy_424

User image

Sarasota, Florida
Hi Jeremy. I'm sure you'll get good exercise information on this website, I want to help you release the tension in your quadriceps and knee joint.

It would benefit the healing of your knee if you would work out the spasms that have formed in your quadriceps muscles. Each spasm is like a knot in the muscle fibers. These four thigh muscles all merge into one tendon (patella tendon) that crosses over your kneecap and inserts into the front of your shin bone. When your quadriceps are tight they are pulling up on the tendon and straining your entire knee joint.

My expertise is 29 years of specializing in the treatment (and self-treatment) of muscle spasms that strain tendons and joints. To that end I've worked with 1000's of endurance/Olympic/world-class athletes, as well as any other athletes that are passionate about their sport.

An easy way to self-treat these muscles is to take a 12"x1" length of PVC pipe and starting at the very top of your thigh, press and slide (don't roll) all the way down to about 2" before your kneecap. You'll go over bumps, and each bump is a spasm that is pulling up on the patella tendon, and therefore your kneecap. You want to release each spasm. You can do this by using the pipe to press directly into each bump, and then press and move the pipe back and forth over the bump, with the intention of smashing it.

You're pressing out Hydrogen ions (an acid) out of the muscle fibers, and the spasm will begin to release. This takes the pressure off the tendon.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.JulstroMethod.com to discover logical solutions to chronic pain and sports injuries.

In 2001 I wrote a self-treatment book titled "The Pain-Free Triathlete," and in 2017 I updated and greatly expanded that book, so it is now titled "The Pain-Free Athlete." You can get a sampling of the self-treatments, including the one for your quadriceps, by going to my Instagram page (@JulstroMethod) and going through the posts. Look for the one that shows using a pipe on the quadriceps.
2018-04-16 9:44 PM
in reply to: #5237833

User image

Cypress, Texas
I tore my ACL and the muniscouse (sp?) pad. My surgeon said it was the worst mumisous tear he had seen in his 350 some surgeries. Due to the ACL tear they told me it would be about 6-9 month time before I would be released to full activity. The physical therapists knew I was trying to get back to running as soon as I could. I did everything they told me to. Some days my physical therapy to 45 minutes to complete so I just started to think of my physical therapy as training hours. The stationary bicycle was the best tool in my recovery. Weights every day made a difference too. They let me go back to light jogging after about three months and I was surprised when at my 5 month appointment that they realeased me to full activity. The physical therapist wanted me to come in after I was released as a volunteer to have me help motivate and inspire others. My quick release was due to focusing on my therapy. After I was released to full activity I focused on running but until I was released that wasn’t on the radar.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after knee surgery. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Runners knee

Started by lowdon
Views: 1278 Posts: 8

2017-05-24 2:26 PM MuscleMomma

Slight Knee Pain

Started by larie2
Views: 839 Posts: 3

2017-03-30 11:33 PM kloofyroland

Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Pages: 1 2

Started by MCB
Views: 24315 Posts: 29

2017-06-18 9:09 AM Endorphin Hub

Arthroscopy Surgery - Shoulder - Anyone had it?

Started by Lisa B
Views: 8901 Posts: 18

2017-03-25 2:34 AM sunil medapati

baseball, catchers and knees

Started by ace1dc
Views: 11378 Posts: 19

2018-01-11 9:24 AM MKatherineS