General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after knee surgery. Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
2018-02-13 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Returning to training after knee surgery.

I recently had to have my knee scoped to repair a torn meniscus.  The injury kind of came out of no where, my right knee just started to hurt and swell a few hours after a run where I didn't stumble, fall, twist, trip, or do anything usually associated with a knee injury.  My ortho is confident I will be able to return to training but hasn't really given me much information of the best route to go about this. 

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience in this and would be willing to share.  I'm currently 4 weeks post injury and 2 weeks post surgery.  I'm mostly symptom free, I still have a little deficit in range of motion but not a lot of pain.  My knee gets a little sore at the end of the day but is getting better.  My ortho hasn't had me do any PT yet, I see him again tomorrow and will discuss it then.  Thanks in advance for any info.

2018-02-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Returning to training after knee surgery.

I had meniscus repair and ACL replacement several years ago.

The best advice I can give: 

1. Make it clear to your ortho that you want to be able exercise, including run, again (this is not true of 99% of the people they see)
  2. Make it clear to your ortho (or whoever handles your PT) that you are willing to work and deal with whatever pain is involved in the therapy (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).
  3. Actually do the PT work that is prescribed (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).

I've done numerous short and long races, both running and triathlon, since my surgery, with very few knee-related issues along the way, and I'm convinced it's because somebody else gave me this same advice, and I followed it.

(EDIT) Oh, and be patient.

Edited by Experior 2018-02-13 4:21 PM
2018-02-14 4:59 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Bronze member

Originally posted by Experior

I had meniscus repair and ACL replacement several years ago.

The best advice I can give: 

1. Make it clear to your ortho that you want to be able exercise, including run, again (this is not true of 99% of the people they see)
  2. Make it clear to your ortho (or whoever handles your PT) that you are willing to work and deal with whatever pain is involved in the therapy (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).
  3. Actually do the PT work that is prescribed (this is not true of 99% of the people they see).

I've done numerous short and long races, both running and triathlon, since my surgery, with very few knee-related issues along the way, and I'm convinced it's because somebody else gave me this same advice, and I followed it.

(EDIT) Oh, and be patient.

To add from my experience, ^^^this.^^^

Another thing I would add is to make sure you continue to do the PT/strength work that will support your knee(s) going forward.  Also might want to have your PT try to figure out what injured it in the first place so you can address the underlying cause.

Good luck!

2018-02-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.

Thanks for the tips, I start PT today and got the 'ok' from the doc to get in the pool.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after knee surgery. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Runners knee

Started by lowdon
Views: 721 Posts: 8

2017-05-24 2:26 PM MuscleMomma

Slight Knee Pain

Started by larie2
Views: 359 Posts: 3

2017-03-30 11:33 PM kloofyroland

Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Pages: 1 2

Started by MCB
Views: 20050 Posts: 29

2017-06-18 9:09 AM Endorphin Hub

Arthroscopy Surgery - Shoulder - Anyone had it?

Started by Lisa B
Views: 6519 Posts: 19

2017-03-25 2:34 AM sunil medapati

baseball, catchers and knees

Started by ace1dc
Views: 9728 Posts: 19

2018-01-11 9:24 AM MKatherineS