General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss Motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-27 2:28 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Weight Loss Motivation
This is about my 4th/5th/6th?? time around on the weight loss Yo-Yo plan. You know, the one where you lose some weight, gain it back, then have to lose it all over again (and over and over and over).

Here's what I'm doing differently this time around. Hopefully, it will work.
First, and the most important, as I'm getting thinner, I'm cleaning out the closet and getting rid of clothes (pants especially) that are too big for me. As I gain first and lose last in the hip area, this is critical. This last weight gain was not as bad because of the fact I'd gotten rid of my "really fat" pants, and as I was wearing the last couple of pair in the closet that I could still get on, I knew I had to start getting back in gear. Mentally, I guess I took away the safety net of having "fat clothes" to wear. What I should have done was got rid of all the "next size down" stuff that was getting too big. That would have stopped my yo-yo cycle sooner, I think. So, now as soon as something is getting too loose, out it goes. No keeping it around because it's so great that it's loose, or because I haven't really been able to wear it for a while and I don't want to get rid of it quite yet.

Second, I'm only making 5 lb goals for myself. Instead of thinking about the fact that I've really got over 100 lbs to lose, I'm just going to look at the next 5 lbs. Also, I'm setting realistic dates to lose the 5 lbs and also I'm giving myself some really nice "reward" for the lost 5 lbs. Something I wouldn't normally buy that costs some money, and that feels like I'm pampering myself. I'm telling myself, that anyone can lose 5 lbs and that's all I have to do. Then, when I get to the 5 lbs, reset the goal for the next 5. So far, this seems to be a great motivation as well.

Anything else that you guys can think of to help keep that motivation up? Especially when you have a lot to lose? What I realized after I reviewed my weight loss experiences, is that I'd lose about 30 lbs or so, then feel like I wasn't getting anywhere, and stop working on it, then regain the weight. So, my main goal this time is to stop that cycle.

2004-07-27 4:09 PM
in reply to: #40881

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Motivation

These are great ideas Shellee -- and I think they will be really helpful in your goal. You may also want to give yourself kind of an interim goal. Like lose xx number of pounds and maintain that weight for a few months before starting another round of pounds lost. Do that a couple of times until you reach the ultimate goal. I know I do better at maintaining for a while and not ALWAYS thinking of losing which turns into the major focus and when it is all lost, then what is the goal? This way I am "practicing" not having the goal be loss. Once the loss of weight is over, we tend to let everything go because the goal has been reached and there is a certain let down about not still having that to focus on.

Just my thoughts, Nancy

2004-07-27 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
I know where you're at. I've been on the yo-yo plan myself for the past several years. I did pretty good for a couple of years and then this past winter I gained it ALL back. I've really been struggling this year. I'm doing all of my workouts, but my nutrition is just horrible. It has been particularly bad during the last month since I returned from vacation. I've finally hit the point where all of MY FAT clothes barely fit. I have started back watching my nutrition really closely this week.

I've done the exact things you are talking about. I have set 5 pound weight loss goals instead of the 50 that I hope to ultimately lose. I also like the idea of gettting rid of the fat clothes when they get too big. The cost of buying new clothes if I gain the weight back should be a great incentive to stop the yo-yo cycle.

I've also taken some body measurements to gauge my progress. In the past, I have found that after a while, the pounds don't drop as quickly, but I will still be losing inches. Hopefully by setting some goals based on measurements, I won't get discouraged when I come to one of those weight plateaus.

Good luck,
Scott
2004-07-27 11:08 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Just a note on the nutrition part: if you try to do an 'extreme makeover' on your nutrition, chances are higher that you'll slip than if you make one or two small changes each week. Start with really watching your water intake: 8-10 glasses per day is a good start, I drink about 2 gallons per day (and lose a lot during training). Replace the candy with crackers or nuts. Replace the iceberg lettuce with romaine, or put a spinach leaf on your sandwich instead of any lettuce. I try to have one vegetarian dinner per week, 1 or 2 fish dinners (fried doesn't really count!). If I'm at a restaraunt, baked potato instead of fries.

After several months of small changes, I find that occasional 'cheating' doesn't set me back diet or training-wise, baked potatoes take about 4 1/2 minutes in my microwave, and pasta without the sausage or meatballs is really pretty darn good!
2004-08-02 10:54 AM

User image

BC
great Shellee
I think your plan is great. Like the post above, I think another thing that is so key is that yeah sure it's about weight LOSS but it is also about changing eating habits. I remember asking myself, could I live without eating more than 1 oz cheese on my pizza? Could I live without eating butter? Could I live without cream? Could I live without ______?

Not all at the same time, but I just did lill practices like that and when you've played with these different ideas for a while, it is very possible. I mean, there is stuff I got to be careful about like when others dump the rest of their bag of chhips on my desk cuz they don't want it anymore. Get that out o my face! I don't want it either! (cuz I know I would eat it all)...

Cheers!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss Motivation Rss Feed