General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC-Area Sprints &Super-sprints--Suggestions?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-16 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: NYC-Area Sprints &Super-sprints--Suggestions??
I'm looking to enter 2-4 sprint-distance tris in 2007. Can anyone recommend some events? Ideally, they'd:
Be within 4 hours or so of NYC by car,
Be in an area that provides for at least some kind of post-race activites, sightseeing, etc.,
Have a modest ($100 or so) entry fee
Be friendly, well-run and organized
Be relatively newbie-friendly (i.e., no Alpe d'Huez-type climbs or shark-infested OW swims..)but still challenging

Any ideas? So far, I'm looking at NJ Devilman in May, and Cape Henlopen (again) in October.

2006-10-16 11:23 AM
in reply to: #569913

User image

Subject: RE: NYC-Area Sprints &Super-sprints--Suggestions??
The Mighy North Fork in early July. Did it as my first tri ever and loved it. Well run, organized. Held in Southold, LI which is on the north fork. Swim 0.3 miles, Bike 8 miles, Run 3.1 miles
Ther's one in Port Washington, NY on LI a little closer to you held sometime in mid-June. Also check out http://trifind.com/ny.htmlfor more. Hope that helps...good luck.
2006-10-16 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Pawling Triathlon in Early June, Tobay Tri in Oyster Bay is in August, Jones Beach is usually the last week of September, Staten Island Flat as a Pancake in July. There are tons of races within 4 hours of NYC. Use www.trifind.com

There are a bunch of races in Harriman State park also.
2006-10-17 12:43 AM

User image

Regular
See our tri club in Rosendale NY. 90 miles north of NYC. Membership lets you swim from May to October in 375 yards (one way) spring fed lake. We have four sprint tri's a year (June/July/August/September) which are included in your annual membership fee.

www.hvtc.net.

Edited by HammerheadNY 2006-10-17 12:44 AM
2006-10-17 7:47 PM

User image

Expert

I'd stay away from Devilman.  Unless they change the lake it's in from 2006 to 2007, you don't want to be swimming there from what I heard.  The race organization is fine, it's just that particular race course that isn't good.  Plus it's in Cumberland County, which is the most rural, middle of nowhere county in the state.

As far as races, there are somewhat informal Sprint Tris about once a month in Long Branch, NJ (Monmouth County) http://www.sandyhookers.org/shtc.htm.   They are something of a training race, though lots of people do their races that are new to the sport.  I've spent a lot more money to get a whole lot less from races, though so don't think that because it's cheap it's not a good race.  It's the Jersey Shore, so there is plenty to do in the summer if you come down on Saturday for instance. 

Brigantine is another great race, right by Atlantic City and the swim is in the bay.  Jersey Genesis a little north of AC is another nice race, close to AC and also right off the Parkway so access to the beach towns.  Well-run locally-organized, good food afterwards.  Wildwood was pretty nice as well, swim in the ocean and Wildwood has plenty to do.  The NJ State Tri has both a sprint and Olympic distance- it's in the Princeton/Trenton area.  Well-run, flat course, lake swim.  You would be right near Great Adventure and the Jersey Shore is right down I 195. 

On the other hand, Pine Barrens is in the middle of nowhere, not the best-run events.  There's an award ceremony but that's about it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC-Area Sprints &Super-sprints--Suggestions?? Rss Feed