General Discussion Triathlon Talk » food, food, food...diet, diet, diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-11-14 1:20 PM

User image

Subject: food, food, food...diet, diet, diet
Okay anyone have some thoughts or specifics on a great diet (when i say diet i mean eating healthy not necessarily deleting an entire food group )?

I'm not shooting for perfection here but i've got a serious case of eating b/c of boredom and it seems my body is very drawn (dare i say addicted) to sugar. I know there is no quick fix i don't necessarily want that (wouldn't that be nice though!?) but instead some specifics to try as i train for a triathlon in April 07.

What are good foods to eat as i start to workout more? Foods for energy and that you guys use? Are supplements a good idea or energy bars/drinks, etc?

I want to hear everyones thoughts so i can get an idea of what others are doing that works.

thanks a lot!
Beth
Columbus, OH

Edited by montyb49 2006-11-14 1:21 PM

2006-11-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #598938

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: food, food, food...diet, diet, diet
This is a big topic, for sure, and I'm not a nutritionist.

But -- I've had success losing weight by keeping it simple. I cut out a lot of the fat in my diet (butter, mayo, etc.) and started counting calories. And by counting, I mean carrying a notebook and writing down every single thing I eat. I found that helped me get a handle on my diet and ingrained good habits very quickly. I don't follow any of the diets-of-the-moment, but try to keep a good balance of carbs and protein, with (as I said) not much fat. In addition, I drink two glasses of red wine every night (well, that works for me...)

As far as foods for energy, I try to eat right after longer workouts. Typically some whole-grain bread, a little turkey, fruit. I've been trying the Endurox R4 as well, seems OK. Bannanas are good for pre-workout snacks.

If you've got a sweet tooth, start swilling caffeine-free Diet Coke -- I love the stuff.

I've lost almost 20 pounds since last year, and the energy levels are holding up well.
2006-11-14 1:36 PM

User image

Runner
I have determined that beer is a required training food. I generally try to consume it one a regular basis (although I usually draw the line at a max of three in a night).

On top of that, I like to eat Kraft Mac and Cheese, but I also like regular spaghetti, with butter, garlic salt, and shredded cheese. mmmmm...... Steak and potatoes is always nice, too.

During the day, I like Frosted Mini Wheats at breakfast, followed by some yogurt and coffee. Snacks are generally bananas, granola bars, Pop-Tarts (a new addition), Cheez-Its, or Clif Bars.

I eat anything. I'm not picky. Anything in moderation will work. You do want to be aware of getting more calories than our sedentary brethren, and you will probably want to focus more on carbs (both complex and simple), and finding a good balance between protein, carbs, and fat (yes, fat is necessary).
2006-11-14 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Eating because of boredom is a huge issue.  I once read something that made a lot of sense to me.

Many of use suffer from the I am bored so therefore I will eat syndrome.  Many of us also suffer from the I just ate why am I hungry 30 minutes later problem.  The solution is to ask yourself "Would I eat an apple (insert available fruit)?" 

If the answer is no, then you probably are not hungry and are just bored so you should switch up your activity to break the mental grasp on food.  If you answer yes, then you probably are hungry.  And since your mind is thinking of an apple, go ahead and eat it. 

It sounds simple and silly but I find it works quite often. 

2006-11-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #598971

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Scout7 - 2006-11-14 2:36 PM

I have determined that beer is a required training food.

Did I say two glasses of red wine a night? I meant two glasses before my beer...

While I don't drink as much beer as I used to, I think it's an excellent recovery beverage. Carbs -- lots of tasty, frothy carbs. Mmmmm.
2006-11-14 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains

montyb49 - 2006-11-14 1:20 PM

What are good foods to eat as i start to workout more? Foods for energy and that you guys use? Are supplements a good idea or energy bars/drinks, etc?

I live by Peanut butter and honey. Two slices of light bread (whole grain - 2 slices = 80 calories). Reduced fat triscuits are big in Carbs (7 = 120cal); carrots. I dig dark chocolate as well and I don't deny myself at least 4 squares (200cal) each day, sometimes twice. Breakfast is either instant oatmeal or toast and PB, depending on what kind of workout I'm doing that day (long run = toast and PB).

After a long workout, it's normally brown rice and sauteed peppers/garlic/sausage or pasta with the same. Dinners can be anything from salads (piled high with crumbled blue cheese, some bacon bits, balsamic vinagrette) or Red Beans and Rice (Glory Foods - good stuff, but it comes in a can).

I dig Harvest bars for snacks. Along with (almost) every meal (save for sauteed peppers/garlic/sausage) are a bunch of baby carrots.

I've been back into counting calories for the past three weeks or so and find that ~2000 - 2200 is good for me. By the way, I don't keep myself from eating anything. When I do eat crap, I just realize that I'll need to start eating better the next day. When I feel myself getting hungry outside of my normal feeding time, I chug 32oz of water. 20 minutes later, if I'm still hungry, I'll try to eat something.

SR

EDIT: I don't drink alcohol, but I do know that beer has a great many calories and has been used in the past as an energy replacement drink.

Edited by sranney 2006-11-14 1:57 PM

2006-11-14 1:57 PM

Regular
NC
Phase 2 of the South Beach diet is good if you want to lose some weight, and phase 3 is good to maintane that weight.... I no longer stick to the SBD myself. Something about a lack of self-control.
2006-11-14 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Track what you eat here: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

Basics:
Complex carbohydrates--whole wheat, whole oatmeal, brown rice, fruits, veggies, beans, etc. Cut out refined (white) flour, sugars, etc.

Protein--keep it lean and clean: chicken breast, tofu, beans (again), fish (like salmon and tuna...high in Omega 3s, too), turkey breast, protein powder as a supplement

Fat--Healthy fats: nuts, EV Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Low fat cheese, avocadoes

Edited by FishrCutB8 2006-11-14 1:59 PM
2006-11-14 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

What everyone else said, and:

- Always have healthy snacks with you

- Cut out sodas/high sugary juices (juice your own)

- Everything in moderation (a glass of wine or a piece of cake won't kill you, just don't do it at every meal!)

2006-11-14 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
I myself like the abs diet.  They have a ton of recipes out there and it is very easy to stick to.  A little rich on the protien but you can adjust it and take in a few extra carbs since most of us excersize more than the diet takes into consideration.  The abs diet also has a healthy guide that will help you make the right choices outside of the house by making good decisions at restaurants and fast food joints.
2006-11-14 2:53 PM
in reply to: #598962

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kenail - 2006-11-14 1:34 PM
If you've got a sweet tooth, start swilling caffeine-free Diet Coke -- I love the stuff.

Not to steer off subject, but the Diet Coke thing is a bit of a contraversy. Personally I'm experimenting with a pop-free diet as of Halloween (okay, it's only been 2 weeks) to see if anything changes.

I read on the internets (George Bush joke here) by searching the Googles that diet sodas, while calorie and sugar free, have been proven to increase cravings. Your body is ingesting stuff that should be giving it calories, but obviously it's not getting any calories. Kind of like chewing gum makes some people hungry.

2006-11-14 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
...not to mention that artificial sweeteners have been linked in some studies to cancer, and have been shown in some people to have adverse effects similar to MSG allergies...
2006-11-14 2:57 PM
in reply to: #599134

User image

Runner
lisac957 - 2006-11-14 3:53 PM
Personally I'm experimenting with a pop-free diet as of Halloween (okay, it's only been 2 weeks) to see if anything changes.

What does avoiding your father while eating have to do with soda? Or dieting for that matter.
2006-11-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: #599138

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

FishrCutB8 - 2006-11-14 2:57 PM ...not to mention that artificial sweeteners have been linked in some studies to cancer, and have been shown in some people to have adverse effects similar to MSG allergies...

as someone who drinks between 4-10 diet cokes or diet pepsis a day I can state that this is not true.  And the third arm makes it easier to type while I'm on the phone or writing.

2006-11-14 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kuna, Idaho

I really like the GI Diet.  You eat the correct type of carbs, proteins and fats.  I try to not eat anything after 7:30PM.  I try to cut out the simple sugars, salts and bad fats and the pounds will start to fall off.

2006-11-14 3:33 PM

User image

Master
New York
I too am a big proponent of the Abs Diet, though I have never followed it inasmuch as being on a diet. The types of food it recommends just seem to make sound nutritional sense to me, as well as being the base for myriad great recipes.

My main trick is to try to eat as absolute little processed food (other than tri-approved energy stuff) as possible. I shop almost exclusively on the outer ring of the market, and in general the least healthy thing in my apartment is Special K frozen waffles and dark chocolate. I tend to eat a fair amount (2800-3300cal/day) but it is a lot of non/low fat dairy, tons of fruit & veg, lean protein such as chicken, turkey and seafood, little red meat, only cooking with olive oil, wine and beer now and again, and also plenty of shut eye.

I have usually been able to only eat when i'm hungry, which isn't exactly what the OP was looking for here.

but the "would I eat an apple" quiz seems like it would work very well. if i'm generally hungry, i won't deny myself food.

2006-11-14 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I make a point of eating plenty of whole grains, veggies, fruits, seafood, chicken, nuts, nonfat yogurt, and skim milk.  I never eat huge amounts, but I eat frequently. 

I tend to avoid fried foods, dishes with heavy cream sauces, things drenched in cheese... that sort of thing.  I don't avoid carbs, eggs, good cheeses, meat, or really any whole food.

I don't avoid sweets, but I don't binge on them either -  except on a few special occasions.  I keep some healthy snacks around the house, but do not tend to keep cookies, ice cream, chocolate, or that sort of thing.

I do eat bars of various sorts (energy bars, breakfast bars, or granola bars), but I use them to add to my intake,.  I don't consider any of these diet foods, but quick energy sources for when I otherwise might not eat enough. 

2006-11-14 5:12 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
I can relate to being a sugar addict. I can almost proudly say I am a former sugar addict. While I still love the occassional sweet treat, tweaking my diet slowly has helped almost eliminate the actual cravings. I just eat a lot of whole foods, I stay away from white flour, eat lots of fruits and veggies...you know the basics. I find when I get the mindless munchies, I have a sugar free popsicle (or two) and that really helps me, but I will usually slice up an apple, have a hand full of baby carrots to help take the edge off. Of course journaling my food intake has helped me get a real look at what I was really eating...what an eye opener! I don't do it anymore, but when I did, it was the single best tool for me to see what I was doing. Now I try not to eat anything that can't benefite my body...with the few vices of course (wine, coffee, popsicles etc.) Moderation too...always moderation.
2006-11-14 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I'm a big stress/boredom eater.  First step is recognize it second is to do womethinga bout it.  Ihave substituted poor choicrs for healthy ones.  WHen I get stressed and run to the fridge I go for fruit or veggies.  much less damage
2006-11-14 6:38 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Yeah feel your pain. I am in the same fight you are. Sweets are my weakness along with cheese and crackers. I get bored and find that something quick, easy and horrible for me gets me going again although I know it's bad.

Keep fighting the good fight and I will too!!
2006-11-14 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran

Stick to a ratio of 40/30/30 ( carb/protein/fat.) and log everything. I log through Training Peaks and they have a cool graph which is handy when you log in your food you know exactly where you stand in your ratio after lunch or snack or whatever. I also try to stay low on the Glycemic Index. It's funny because when you eat on the low index you're not hungry in between meals
I struggle somethings with guilt about wine and such but anything in moderation..just stay away from High Glycemic stuff.

2006-11-15 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I have the same unfortunate sugar addiction. Luckily I don't really like pop very much. I've learned to avoid candy as much as possible. Once I fall off the wagon it usually ends up being a binge of several day minimum, sometimes weeks. I'm mostly working on substituting something healthy but still sweet (like a piece of fruit) whenever I get the craving.

Otherwise I started keeping track of my food using the nutrition function here on this website. It's not perfect but it was a frightening eye opener for me about just how many calories I was eating overall, and just how many of them were fat calories (over 40% some days).

I've revamped my diet slowly over the past couple of years, replacing one unhealthy food at a timewith a healthy one. I also do a tentative weekly meal plan on my grocery list and then each evening plan the next day's diet, making sure I have servings of fruits, vegetables, grains, proteins, etc throughout the day and packing up all my work food at night so it's in a bag and ready to go in the morning. Otherwise I run out of time in the morning, run off to work and have to buy something unhealthy wherever it's available. And I eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day. Although it is more work to plan your food out the way I do, I actually eat quite a bit each day and I control my calories and fat better.
2006-11-15 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

As a formerly morbily obese person, and one that has been on every diet out there, I am VERY careful about what I eat.  I 'still' love to eat and if I could, I would eat a lot.  I use www.myfooddiary.com to keep me honest about what I am eating.  I track every bite that goes in my mouth.  I also love using this method because it encourages me to excercise more!  I make a point to eat at least 100 grams of protien each day.  I lost 20 pounds using it during the summer and am working on the last 10. 

Kelly

2006-11-15 10:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
IL

My nutrition plan is simple:

If I see it, and it's not moving faster than me I'm going to eat it.  And I'm most likely going to find a beer  or 2 to wash it down.

2006-11-15 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Lot's of good advice here.  As someone who's been there, done that, have the T-shirt, it is all about lifestyle.  Really there is no magic formula other than EAT LESS, MOVE MORE.  It really is a simple question of making good decisions and keeping your caloric intake below maintenance level.  You can eat almost anything in moderation.  Do you know your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)?   It is not exact, but this will give you a good idea of how many calories you should take in on a given day.  Do a google search and you will find the formula.  Use Fitday at first until you get an idea of your caloric intake vs. calories expended.  Continue to experiment until you find out what works for you.  Before you know it, this will become a new lifestyle.  

My last piece of advice is "Beer is Good Food".  I may be wrong about that last one, but it works for me. 

Edited by captantony 2006-11-15 10:43 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » food, food, food...diet, diet, diet Rss Feed  

of 2