General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-05 8:49 AM

Fredericksburg, VA
Subject: Fatigue
quick question....I've recently started doing longer runs on the weekends in anticipation of the Marine Corps Marathon this fall, I'm up to roughly 13-14 miles. The day of the run and the day after I feel great! But then by Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm sooooo tired I can barely get out of bed....any one have any suggestions on why this might be happening and what I can do to avoid it? Anything would be helpful.

Aloha....

2004-08-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: #43925

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Fatigue
Can't really help you with your problem, are your long runs on Sunday? What do you do on Monday (or between your long run and fatigue day).

Did want to say you're going to love Marine Corps. Did it last year, one of the most exciting ones I've run. Racing around the monuments is a trip, crowds were ten deep on both sides of the street at the National Mall, all chanting my name (put it in big letters on your singlet), made me feel like a rock star. Last year it was warm, the course was surprisingly hillier than I thought, but we had a blast. Did't even notice the big hill up to the Iwo Jima Memorial at the end.
2004-08-05 9:35 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
b-vitamins? just saw a article in twin cities sports about b-vitamin deficiency after exercise.

http://www.twincitiessports.com/story.cfm?story_id=6292&publication...
2004-08-05 9:41 AM

New user

Rhode Island
What are you doing for training in between? Are you getting enough sleep? Eating enough?
2004-08-05 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Aloha Karyn-Marie,

Jealous that you are in Hawaii. Congrats on deciding to run Marine Corps.

I took a look at your logs from the end of May up until now and I have a few observations / recommendations.

It looks like you are a beginner. Are you looking just to finish or under a specific time?

Are you following a particular training program? If not, I would check out runnersworld.com

They have marathon programs for beginners down to people looking to qualify for Boston.

You mention problems w/ you sneakers. You should replace them every 300 miles or so.

You mention not having water. I never leave home without my fuelbelt. I drink 8 oz every 15 minutes ( 32oz/hour) on top of taking a gel every 20 minutes ( 300 calories / hour). I am 200# and have figured out this is what my body needs.

Nutrition is very important, especially in the longer endurance events lasting over 2 hours.

My # 1 piece of advice is listen to your body. If you are sore, backoff. If your feet ache @ mile 9 of a 12 mile run, then stop. Better than getting an injury and being out for much longer.

It looks like you are running 3-4 times per week. A good rule of thumb is that your mileage should increase each week by about 10% while also allowing for a 2-3 week taper before the big race.

So perhaps you are tired b/c you are overdoing it? Are you taking an easy run after your LSD run?

One last thing I noticed is that you are consistently averaging a 9 - 9:30 pace.

Not sure what your time goals are but you might want to slow down.

Another great option on runnersworls is their pace calculator. You enter your goal marathon finish time and they give you a recommended pace time for your easy run, tempo run and LSD run.

For example, I am running NYC this fall w/ the hopes of hitting 3:29:45 ( 8:00 pace). I do my easy runs @ 9:02, my tempos @ 7:31, and my LSD @ 9-10. I also throw in Yasso's but no need to worry about them.

Hope this helped.

Best of Luck

John
2004-08-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: #43955

Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for all the info! I will take all of your advice to heart...this will be my first marathon, so yes, I am a beginner. I decided to take this week as a step back....i'll only do about 8 miles for my long run this weekend.

Currently, I am on the training plan that the Marine Corps Marathon has...personally, I think it's a bit aggressive for a beginner. I recently saw the one that Runner's World has...it seems much more reasonable. Maybe I'll switch over to that one.

I should have mentioned, as well that I have a pretty crazy lifestyle. I have a 60 mile commute every morning and evening and have a high stress job in the News Department of a television station. That, in addition to being married with an 8 year old, sometime makes it hard to keep it all together.

B-vitamins might be a way to go....and more rest!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue Rss Feed