General Discussion Race Reports! » State Interclub Championships Mandurah Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

State Interclub Championships Mandurah - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mandurah, Western Australia
Australia
Mandurah Tri Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Long drive, had 3 bix and a beroca for bfast.

Event warmup:

Was bit cool when I got there, just stood around realy, did some streching and got organised.
Swim
  • 22m
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best swim I have every had (best of 3 so far) just "let" the pack go and then swam at my own pace, not swimming at my own pace was my biggest mistake in the last tri.

I was actualy enjoying the swim for the first 300m, then we hit the deep water and there was a bit of swell, this threw me off a bit, I lost my rythem, drank a few mouthfuls and felt prety ordinary. I did Brest stroke for 50m or so just to get my coughing out of the way then back to freestyle to the last turn. Ended up doing brest stroke a fir way after that turn as I found it tough swimming into the wind/chop. before I new it my feet were on sand, I stood up and ran to transition, I wasn't last, but I think there would only have been a handful of people behind me.

All in all I enjoyed this swim, and while not fast, and I was almost last, it gave me some confidence that I can at least swim that far, 6 months ago I could make the end of a 25m pool so this was a good achievement for me.
What would you do differently?:

Have to do more open water swimming to get used to the variable conditions.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Fairly good transition not much to compare it to...swim time of 22m was the time for the swim and T1, I looked at my watch as I got my bike off the rack.
Bike
  • 33m 50s
  • 18 kms
  • 31.92 km/hr
Comments:

Rough time was 33 minutes.

Struggled to enjoy the bike today, being so far behind after the swim was a bit disheartning, and there was a fair bit of wind on the way out, just cruised the whole course realy, could have put in a bit more but my head wasn't in bike mode today? usualy my best leg so that was a problem.

Drank the right amount, water and powerade, seemed to be at just the right times to, was settled before I started running.

Prefer longer rides, I find I can catch more people, but next time I just have to keep my head.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Took 2 strides away from my bike and thought DOH! still have my helmet on...

Got a bit lost in transition on the way out, wasted a bit of time.

Pay more attention to the exit route
Run
  • 20m
  • 5 kms
  • 04m  min/km
Comments:

Enjoyed the run, legs felt fantastic off the bike and considering I did a 23km run on wednesday I felt great for it. Got nice pace going and cought plent of people on the run, I think only 2 came back and passed me, and while I could have run with them, i was trying very hard just to run at my pace.

Sure that run through the week did me good, i felt strong on the run.

No hr rate monitor in this race at all, I have to find a good way of getting it to work in an actual tri, i think i could have pushed harder on the run but would like to have seen what my h-rate was.
Post race
Warm down:

some streching at the race, but when I got home I took the youngest daughter for a 30min walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only my head stopped me from going faster today, both in the swim and on the bike, the body was fine.

Event comments:

would have rated it 5, but the run exit transition was a bit of a shambles for the males, people being told they were going the wrong way etc etc, it just needed to be better marked.

Last updated: 2006-11-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:00 | 750 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular loop, 250, 50, 250, 200 roughly
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:50 | 18 kms | 31.92 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Roads were avereage in parts, bbut lots of volenteers kept things moving nicely, fairly undulating, not realy hills, just mounds, but very windy in parts, never seemed to be a tail wind, always head or cross.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:00 | 05 kms | 04m  min/km
Course: Mix of grass, sand limestone and path...quite scenic though (and sheltered)
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-10 12:54 AM

Perth
Subject: State Interclub Championships Mandurah

2006-12-10 9:22 PM
in reply to: #620265

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: State Interclub Championships Mandurah

Hey there,  good race yesterday nice times!

I feel like we did different races though I thought swim was flat and there wasn't a huge amount of wind on the bike course.  but I think I was comparing it to last year where there was major wind on the bike course adn the swim was like a washing machine.

I had a giggle about the helmet,  I havne't done that yet but I'm sure I will do that one day.

good race,  its a nice course isn't it.  I really enjoy that run for some reason even though I'm a slow runner.

2006-12-11 12:45 AM

Perth

I guess it was flat out there, but compared to my only two previous open water swims (200m and a 400m)  that was the worst conditions I have had to swim in, i'm just soft thats all....

Bike and swim times are prety accurate, but the run time seemed fast for me, but it had to be about that to all add up. thats the pace I would run a normal/fast 5km without the swim and bike.

Kept my eye out for a new and shiny QR, I think I saw it near one of the marques against a fence as I was leaving, but didn't see anyone around it.

2006-12-11 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Well done on doing 750! its a long open water swim!

Yep that would have been my new machine,  I had it resting against the fence near the stadium tent.  I was probably sitting about 10ms away in the tent. 

2006-12-11 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
I'm with Mel, I can't believe that 6 months ago you couldn't get to the end of a 25m pool and this weekend you've just done your longest open water swim. That's awesome!

I find that I really have to concentrate during a race, as soon as I lose focus it goes down hill and I lose any pace I may have had. Usually happens to me in the run (as it did this weekend). A lot of triathlon is mental, so you have to keep it strong upstairs. It's a good lesson to walk away with particularly with that HIM next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » State Interclub Championships Mandurah Rss Feed