General Discussion Race Reports! » State Interclub Championships Mandurah Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

State Interclub Championships Mandurah - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mandurah, Western Australia
Australia
Mandurah Tri Club
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race was down in Mandurah so was up at 4.30am to have some breakfast, that is a ridiculous time of morning to be up. anything before 5 is just not human in my books.
Anyway packed the car up picked up my friend and onto the freeway down to Mandurah. Watching the sun come up. last year I remember driving down in a horrible storm wondering hwat I was doing. it felt alot better this year.
Event warmup:

I did absolutely no warm up. milled around chatting to people whacked on the wetsuit. apparantly the water was 17C but I think someone made a mistake the water was alot warmer then that I thought.
None of the times are exact they are jsut when I glanced at my watch I'm still waiting for the actual finish time because I didn't stop my watch till a couple of mins ater Ifinished.
Swim
  • 16m
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last year the swim was a nightmare this year the conditions were so much better. you start off swimming looking into the sun so its really tricky to see the first buoy to round. I just put my head down and started swimming from the start I found a few feet to sit on and thought yep I'll just follow them till the first buoy. Unfortunately I picked the wrong feet she headed off to the right so I had to swim over her to get back on track and found another set of feet to draft off. Once I turned that first buoy I settled into my normal pace and swam a pretty good swim I think. One chick scratched my arm to pieces and it hurt in the salt water but it was pretty uneventful apart from that.
What would you do differently?:

not let someone else lead me off course. its hard to sight directly into a rising sun but maybe I could practice that a bit
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I got my wetsuit off pretty quickly, someone had racked their bike righto ver my gear so I had a bit of trouble getting my shoes out, was as quick as I could be.

I'll learn one day to get on the bike and put my shoes on but apart from that everything was as fast I could have been.
Bike
  • 36m
  • 18 kms
  • 30.00 km/hr
Comments:

Ok I've put smooth road surface for the most part it was but there were a few rough areas.
I felt great on the bike unfortunately my bike computer wasn't working, I haven't quite got the new computer figured out its got a few features which I havne't worked out yet and i just couldn't get it to work. I didn't have any guidelines to how fast I was going.
I could definitely have gone faster I should have pushed it faster.
there was little undulating slopes. not really hills.
I really didn't corner too well, there were only two tight corners but I slowed right down as I'm not overly confident cornering on the new bike, its just a whole different centre of gravity. One one corner I got yelled out by a guy behind me. and I was totally in the right, rude old guy.

I did not drink the entire bike! ooops.

cornering practice, ride faster, not listen to old grumpy men yelling behind me donn' t let it put me off cornering!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did a bit of dawdling in transition. I did it all and was going quickly but I was kinda day dreaming a little.

concentrate
Run
  • 27m
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 24s  min/km
Comments:

I grabbed a drink before I headed out of transition. I remembered from last year I had to run to the end of transition before I could get out on the path. Headed out for the run. I don't know what it is about Mandurah but the run course just seems to come easier then most.
its slightly sheltered and runs along the canals and lovely houses in Mandurah I think I must get distracted looking at the scenery.
I'm never going to be a fast runner but I had a good run. managed to get a few sips of drinks in on the run

learn how to run faster
Post race
Warm down:

milled around chatting forgot to do any stretching at all. waited for the presentations, no spot prizes today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of speed!

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race its great racing for your club made it a really social event! would liek to go faster but I'm happy with this race as the first hit out for the Perth season. Bring on next weekend

Last updated: 2006-11-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:00 | 750 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: almost a rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:00 | 18 kms | 30.00 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: two laps out and back along the beach front.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:00 | 05 kms | 05m 24s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: out and back run, grass, bikepath, sand gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-10 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: State Interclub Championships Mandurah

2006-12-11 3:50 PM
in reply to: #620577

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: State Interclub Championships Mandurah
I'd kill for your run time!

Good job, but you need to get that bike 'puter fixed.
There's more in those legs of yours!
2006-12-11 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Great first race of the season.  I was wondering how you would feel on the new bike.  It does take a while to get use to the cornering on a tri bike.  How did your team do?

Ernie 

2006-12-11 5:52 PM

Perth

Nice first race of the season...sounds like it was much better than last year.

The trials and tribulations continue with bike?...I think channel 7 could make a mini series out of it...  I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon.  When I first got mine I made excuses to not ride it for all the same reasons as you, now I make excuses to ride it...

Good luck in Rockingham...

2006-12-11 7:40 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Yay Mel! no social events in transitions for you any more Im sure by the end of the season you and your sexy new bike will be as one!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » State Interclub Championships Mandurah Rss Feed