Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ontario Tri Training centre in Guelph Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-22 3:42 PM

Regular
Guelph, ON
Subject: Ontario Tri Training centre in Guelph
Just want to make the Western GTA/Central ON people aware of the Ontario tri training centre run out of the Univ. of Guelph. They run a tri training session once a month (2 per month Feb-Apr.): 2h in the pool, 1.5h indoor ride, and 1h run, all coached. The sessions are $40- you can't beat the value.

I've gone to several of these over the past few years, but I don't think many people know about them. There's a list of dates on the OAT web site http://www.triathlonontario.com/hm/inside.php?id=434

2007-01-22 9:49 PM
in reply to: #663785

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Ontario Tri Training centre in Guelph

Great info. Thanks for posting that!

2007-01-25 11:04 AM
in reply to: #664192

Regular
Guelph, ON
You are welcome. Some of the seesions have only had a few athletes attend- that's great for getting personal attention for the coaches but it's a bit more fun when there is a group. These sessions are great for new triathletes.
2007-01-25 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto

I'm surprised that there weren't a lot of people out. Guess not many people know about it. In truth, the info about it on the OAT web site is somewhat vague. I would absolutely LOVE to come but my issue is that it pretty much takes up a significant part of the day and therefore takes away from being with my wife and daughter. It sucks because I'm sure I would get a lot out of it.

2007-01-26 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
I knew something like this existed, but always found finding the information difficult or it was out of date.  Good to know this is still going on.  Something I'll consider in the future.  Too bad I moved from Guelph to London last year
2007-01-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #667637

Regular
Guelph, ON
I know what you mean about the vague info. The OAT does zip to support these sessions- the workouts are driven by a couple of volunteers in Guelph who arrange everything. I thought I'd post the info here as they can use the help publicizing these things.

Having said that, the last session was coupled with the Ontario development team for the 2009 Canada games. There were about 15 very fast kids who did the workouts with us (their coach led half of the cycling). I think they will be participating for the upcoming sessions. Good fun!

2007-01-27 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

I went to these last year and they are awesome. The time in the pool and the personal attention from the coaches was awesome. It gave me the confidence to finish my first olympic tri last year.

They even did an underwater analysis of my stroke for me. I'll be going again this year for sure.

Hope to see some fellow BT'ers there.

2007-02-20 11:35 AM

New user

Kitchener, Ontario
I'm new to the sport and just began training for the Lakeside Sprint Race in June...I would say I am in decent shape although my swimming is by far the weakest element...I am in the pool 3-4 days a week to improve upon this...my question is this - would this be a good experience for someone as new to the sport as I am? I feel as though my current skill set/endurance abilities may be somewhat of a 'nuciance' for those better conditioned...

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,
2007-02-22 7:58 AM
in reply to: #696905

Regular
Guelph, ON
These sessions are suitable for all skill levels. The swim in particular is geared toward the basics- most of the sessions are drills and you seldom swim more than 50m without stopping for instruction. If there's a big group with diverse swim skills they will divide us into groups based on skill level.

The bike and run workouts are tough but you can go at your own pace without affecting anyone else. You can drop a few gears on the bike if it is too tough, and the run will be in a dome with a short track, so you are never too far off the pace.

There are sessions the next two Sundays (Feb25 & Mar4).

Cheers, Kevin

2007-02-22 4:00 PM

New user

Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the info Kevin - 1 last question (my apologies for hi-ajcking this thread)...I followed the 'gryphonline' and was wondering where the location is...

Thanks to all

Aaron
2007-02-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: #699834

Regular
Guelph, ON
The gryphonline thing is confusing.

It's in the Mitchell Atheletics centre at the U of Guelph. Kind of in the centre of campus if you look on the map http://www.uoguelph.ca/campus/map/

If you want any info the guy who runs the sessions is Harry Barnes at [email protected]

2007-03-11 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Well I live in Guelph and hae never heard of these. .... I am checking them out now and will be there for as many as possible.....Laughing
2007-03-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: #696905

Master
Kitchener
I'm in Kitchener, as well, and am now on my 3rd session at the Guelph training centre. I was also new to the sport and had just learned to swim. I was the last one out of the water in my age group for my 1st tri before I started these sessions. I've probably knocked 5 minutes off my swim time. Definitely recommend it. Awesome coaching and great personal attention. Do you swim at the rec centre or WLU?
2007-03-25 7:15 PM

Regular
I agree with the others...I too have attended the swim tri training for 3 sessions...always something to learn. Coaches are great, offer loads of information and suggestions and wonderful to work with. They are very devoted to the sport(s). For the price....and the instruction you get....definitely can't beat it! I feel very lucky that this is offered in Guelph. You will definitely get something out of taking the sessions. No other way to spend an early Sunday morning!

Edited by tristar1 2007-03-25 7:17 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ontario Tri Training centre in Guelph Rss Feed