General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello from Santa Monica Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-23 12:46 PM

New user
Subject: Hello from Santa Monica
I moved out to SM from NYC this past August, still getting to know the area and decided to take a chance and try out a triathlon. My first one will be the Redondo Beach Sprint on June 10th.

btw, I think it is pretty funny that California has its own forum

2007-01-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #664974

User image

Subject: RE: Hello from Santa Monica

Welcome to BT and LA!  Great place to train and race.  LA Tri club can be a good resource for training partners and training sessions.  It's not for everyone though.

Redondo was my first as well, holds a special place in my heart   The race director is a good friend of mine, so I like to support the small local races.

and I think every state gets its own forum!

2007-01-23 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
I did Redondo last year. Great race, although the run course was funky!!
2007-01-23 7:05 PM

New user
what can you tell me about the course? I'm really all ears when it comes to this as I have no idea what I am doing just yet...
2007-01-23 7:18 PM

User image

No worries - you'll have plenty of time to figure it out  

Swim - point to point, it's an odd tri as it tries to be "equi-distant" in all three disciplines, so the swim is a 1/2 mile, long for a sprint.  From the rock jetty just south of the pier to about the pier.

Bike - two loops, relatively flat, technical in that you have a dogleg that you have to go through 4 times, and a hairpin turnaround, one hill at Torrance and the beach that you'll be out of the saddle for, but it's short.  Unfortunately, the second one is right before T2, nice and breathless to start the run.

Run - As jbjboc said, it's funky.  No way for me even to describe it, but you can print out the run from the website and go to the pier to check it out.  Basically a 2 mile run around the pier and Portofino restaurant

It's very easy to pre ride and run this course.

2007-01-23 9:18 PM

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Hi there! I'm in Santa Monica also, and am new to BT.

I'm thinking of doing the Hermosa Day at the Beach tri for my first one - http://www.mesp.com/datb/.Last year some coworkers and I participated in it as a relay team and it was a blast. This year I'm shooting to do it on my own. They say it's a great beginner course.

Nice you meet you!

Elizabeth

2007-01-23 10:33 PM

User image

Welcome Elizabeth!

Yes, Hermosa is good for beginners.  The bike is a little sketchy as it gets down to one skinny lane on Ardmore.

Redondo is a good first tri as well.  Should have mentioned Toyota sends a lot of people to help you set up your transition area.

2007-01-24 12:10 AM

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Thanks for the great info! I think I might go spectate the Redondo tri to pump myself up for the Hermosa. It's all a mind game I figure I will try the Hermosa first since I've experienced the course before. I'm a little nervous about my first one since my first swim lesson is next week. I'm ok with cycling and running, but I'm scared I'm going to suck at the swimming. I can't wait to start practicing though!
2007-01-24 11:40 AM

New user
I think right now the transitions are my second biggest concern (with swimming being the first...)

Mainly I do not want to plow into someone, get randomly DQ'd or waste like 15 minutes (in that order) after each stage
2007-01-24 2:09 PM
in reply to: #665876

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Hermosa is a great tri. Very low key.

A lot of beginners.

Cheers,
Mark
2007-01-24 2:14 PM
in reply to: #666351

User image

PJOinSM - 2007-01-24 9:40 AM I think right now the transitions are my second biggest concern (with swimming being the first...) Mainly I do not want to plow into someone, get randomly DQ'd or waste like 15 minutes (in that order) after each stage

Practice transitions (that said, I rarely do.....)  Keep it simple.  There's an article here somewhere by Michael Pate that has the setup sketched out.  As far as etiquette, don't use more than a foot or two of space, lots of people spread everything out.  it is neither necessary nor considerate.  End spaces are the best because you'll get more room andwon't have to climb over other people's things to get there.

Basically want it in the order you'll use it.  So, on the edge of the towel, bike shoes, with socks on top if youa re going to use them.  Helmet is placed on the bike.  That's it for the bike (try not to use gloves either)

Above the bike shoes are the run shoes, racebelt and visor/hat.  That's it for the run.

And you can clean it all up when you get back 

As far as DQ, about the only thing that will get you DQd seriously is not putting your helmet on and securing t before moving the bike, or taking it off early.  Most everything else, including drafting, is a time penalty.

For your first, don't worry about the time, just go, learn and have fun

2007-01-24 2:15 PM
in reply to: #665876

User image

elizorbeth - 2007-01-23 10:10 PM Thanks for the great info! I think I might go spectate the Redondo tri to pump myself up for the Hermosa. It's all a mind game I figure I will try the Hermosa first since I've experienced the course before. I'm a little nervous about my first one since my first swim lesson is next week. I'm ok with cycling and running, but I'm scared I'm going to suck at the swimming. I can't wait to start practicing though!

Another option is volunteering.  The race director and all the volunteer coordinators are good friends (heh, one is even my wife), let me know if you want to volunteer, especially in transition, it's a good learning experience (altho a very early day)

2007-01-25 8:28 AM
in reply to: #666351

User image

PJOinSM - 2007-01-24 9:40 AM I think right now the transitions are my second biggest concern (with swimming being the first...) Mainly I do not want to plow into someone, get randomly DQ'd or waste like 15 minutes (in that order) after each stage

Redondo is pretty laid back, so it's not that easy to get DQ'd, and there are tons of first-timers.  Still, it's useful to learn the rules (e.g., drafting) for races that are more intensely patrolled.

Regarding transitions, ChrisM didn't mention that after the swim you have to run down the beach path and then up the long flight of stairs into the transition area.   The transition area is pretty well staffed with volunteers.

Also, the RDs usually have a swim clinic the day before so you feel comfortable in the ocean.  RB is relatively protected so the surf is usually not huge. 

2007-01-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #666608

User image

Santa Monica, CA
ChrisM - 2007-01-24 12:15 PM Another option is volunteering. The race director and all the volunteer coordinators are good friends (heh, one is even my wife), let me know if you want to volunteer, especially in transition, it's a good learning experience (altho a very early day)

That's a great idea! I would love more information on volunteering for the Redondo tri. Since I'm very new to the sport and am not up on all of the rules/etiquette, I'm not sure how I would do in the transition area. I'll be happy to volunteer for any part of it. Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello from Santa Monica Rss Feed