General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new in portland, oregon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-31 7:36 PM

User image

New user

Portland, Oregon
Subject: new in portland, oregon
hi, i'm a 41-year-old male who in a fit of impulsivity has decided to enter a triathlon probably in September. I train in martial arts and so have been focusing on a lot of muscular endurance (like high-rep calisthenics), functional strength (like dumbell deadlifts), anaerobic stuff (hill sprints) etc. Being an endurance athlete per se hasn't felt like it's really me. But when I saw they had sprint-length triathlons I thought "why not" - I just sold my car and am going to be logging many miles of running and biking anyway. At this point i plan to do a short course in September and start some swimming lessons asap, maybe even get LASIK eye surgery.

i do have a dilemma which i may post on another board though - i don't have anything close to a serious road or tri bike budget. Now since the tri is a sideline for me and I don't expect to be with the leaders of the pack I'm fine with a used road bike - my bike is a mountain bike & it'd be a shame to race it on that ... going to start researching the used road bike market a/k/a the list of craig ... any views on a minimum starting budget for a used road bike of at least marginal race quality?

thanks- Stuart

2007-01-31 7:58 PM
in reply to: #674814

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: new in portland, oregon

Welcome to BT!  There are some "Fat Tire" divisions where you could race your mountain bike and be competitive.  You could also do an Xterra type tri, which is off-road.

You could also so a tri on a mountain bike......lots do.  No problem.

Most of all, Just Do It! 

Welcome and enjoy!  BT is a great place! 

2007-01-31 8:36 PM

User image

New user

Portland, Oregon
thanks writebrained. those backcountry events look like a lot of run, i mean fun too, i've always been a trailrunner but have about zero trail bike skills-experience (despite the gear) ... think i'll get into those at some point for sure ... i wonder what the speed differential is on the mountain bike. i may take your advice since it's only 40km and i'm doing this more for the fun / challenge / training than the numbers. and speaking of numbers i see how these can be pricey sports but i refuse to believe it can't be done on a shoestring and sweat.
2007-02-02 8:50 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Welcome to BT! 

Lots of people do their first tris on a mountain bike.  I'd recommend putting some slick tires on it for road riding.  I've done that for commuting on a mtn bike and it definitely made a difference in terms of speed.

2007-02-02 12:00 PM

User image

New user

Portland, Oregon
thanks - matter of fact, i have slicks on my mountain bike and it's being outfitted as a "commuter" as we speak (sold my car)! the fenders and rack will have to come off for races ... or instead I could tow the cargo trailer i'll be using for groceries to add to the challenge ... yes i'll have to become a bike collector at the rate things are going ...

hey quick question - i noticed you use fitday but it looks different from the version that i've seen .. i've just started using the nutrition log on beginnertriathlete.com, does fitday offer features, functionality, convenience, etc. that i should look into using it? trying to track everything and make it as effortless as possible ... thanks,
Stuart
2007-02-06 12:19 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion

Hey there Stuart! Welcome to BT! Glad to see another local on the site! Congrats on your decision to do your first tri. You'll have a blast, then you'll be hooked! Fun stuff! Sorry I can't offer any bike advice but I am sure someone here can!Smile Good luck with the training.

Kori

Edited by NightOwl 2007-02-06 12:23 AM

2007-02-06 12:12 PM

User image

New user

Portland, Oregon
thanks knightowl, nice to meet you. have had lots of bike advice on the board. very, very tempting to try to save for a fast road bike before Blue Lake ... in the meantime I found an old Schwinn 10-speed for $50. I have a dual-bike computer so I can find out if it's faster than my mtb - i doubt it. sounds like the general consensus is not to spend too much on this sport until you've tried a race out have a great week
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new in portland, oregon Rss Feed