General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FAST FOOD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-18 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: FAST FOOD
Last year my goal was to complete 2 triathlons. After those 2 triathlons I was hooked. This year I want to take it to the next level and try and start beating my PRs. I still don't consider myself fast enough to place in my age group I would just like to move from a BOP to MOP, and I would like to lose some more weight. My biggest problem is is that I like fried foods. I have tried time and time again to stop eating but something about french fires and a hamburger that I just love. The longest that I have gone is a month, but then I gave in and had one. How do I keep myself from eating fast food, how do I resist the craving. HHHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

2007-02-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: #694967

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: FAST FOOD
Try going for the lighter option and making it at home. Today I had a veggie burger and some steak fries that I toasted in my toaster oven. I just had exact caloric values for each of them and managed to get my fix and still know what I was putting into my body!
2007-02-18 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
First of all, congratulations on completing your triathlons.

Second, I am surprised that after going a month without fried food your body didn't revolt and send it all back up when you ate it. Did you eat other fried and high fat foods during that same month? I, personally, do not believe in diet and deprivation so I can only suggest moderation. I would suggest "treating" yourself to a small burger and small fries after you have had an exceptionally good training week (or two). That way, you have motivation to work harder and you still get to satisfy your urge for fried foods.

The math is simple, if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. But maybe if you KNOW that you have to bike an extra 40 minutes or run an extra 3 miles in order to have that burger and fries, you can turn it into a win-win situation (sort of).

I'm no nutritionist so this is just my thought. Anybody else have any other suggestions?
Good luck!
2007-02-18 9:07 PM

User image

Mesa
"Food is fuel and is not for entertainment." - Commodore Mann

Just something that helps for me.
2007-02-18 9:44 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I love Mexican food. And pizza.

I get my pizza fix by getting the Lean Cuisine pizzas. I get my Mexican food fix, by eating some once every week, or every couple of weeks.

Look, one hamburger with some small fries- ONCE a week, would be fine. Just keep working out, and eating healthy otherwise.

If you don't give in to those cravings, you will give up the healthy eating completely.

2007-02-18 9:58 PM

User image

Congrats on the tris!

As for the food, well, if you're anything like me, telling yourself "you cannot have a hamburger and fries" is a recipe for failure.  It's a setup.  Then, once you have the burger and fries, you start believing "well, I screwed that up, might as well have another."  This is my head talking, but anything sound familiar?

A hamburger and fries will not kill you, so long as it's in moderation (and yes, I know not eating them will help lose weight faster).  BUT, and only if this applies to you, denying yourself anything may not be a good approach.  So, give yourself one free day a week, or every two weeks, or every month.  That day, you have a burger and fries, you don't worry about it, no guilt, no failure, blah blah blah.

My .02 

2007-02-18 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

I'm a PRO at weight loss...and I used to eat a horrible diet. But I've managed to keep 100 pounds off for four years now, so here are some suggestions.

1. Look at the number of calories in your favorites. Are they worth it? When I see that one of my old favorite burgers (aka grease bombs) is over 600 calories with 50 grams of fat, I realize I could eat TWO full meals for the same burger...and we're not even touching the fries.
  2. As suggested, build it in as a post-workout meal for extra long/hard workouts. Any time I run more than 10 miles I indulge in my one favorite candy, a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (well, two). I've just burned over 900 calories, so a bit of candy isn't going to hurt me. Since I try to make at least one run a week over 10 miles, that means I can indulge weekly. If I want to change my "treat" for that day, I do it. It's a reward well earned.
  3. Find some alternatives to the things you "like a lot" and save the treats for the things you can't live without. So let's say you really like a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, but you could live without it. Replace it with a cheeseburger and small fries. Calories saved: old meal: 1080, new meal: 550 almost HALF the calories! Then save the really "good" stuff you think you can't live without for that workout treat! (Personally I like to do the Happy Meal 'cause I get a toy.)
  4. Look up some of the alternatives at your favorite fast food restaurants. Just because you want to lose weight doesn't mean you have to completely cut out the convenience of fast food. Calorieking.com has lists of almost everything on the menu at local fast food joints. 

I like the quote that food is fuel, not entertainment. That is so true, but it is NOT easy to make lifestyle changes and often those who have never had to lose weight come up with comments like "Just eat less...it's easy." There are studies that show that certain components of the fast foods we eat so often do have some addictive qualities to some people. Again, if you've never HAD a weight problem this would be very difficult to understand. The key is make small changes, but make them permanent. Work on a single change per week. Eat out one day less. Replace full fat milk with 1%, etc.

You're on your way with your training, now to set yourself at the athlete's table! Keep telling yourself that you are in training and an athlete eats a healthy diet 80-90% of the time! Nothing is off limits. That food will always be there, but while you're in training you limit the lower quality foods and focus on high quality, high flavor, and high satisfaction.

2007-02-18 10:31 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California

As horrible as fast food is I don't think that eating it once a month is going to hurt you all that much.  Once a week starts getting bad, once a day and you have got a problem .

If you do happen to eat it don't dwell on it.  Just make sure that they next meal is nice and healthy and get back on track. 

2007-02-18 11:42 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I agree with the idea that eating a burger and fries once in a while is not the end of the world.  I think the key is NOT overdoing it.

Also, beating yourself up for it is counterproductive.  So what?  You ate a burger.  If you're seriously training, you probably needed the calories anyway.  Ok, you could have made a more healthy choice, but if that was what you REALLY wanted, then eating it is fine.  Just don't do it all the time.

2007-02-19 5:42 AM
in reply to: #695020

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
teechur - 2007-02-18 11:18 PM

Find some alternatives to the things you "like a lot" and save the treats for the things you can't live without. So let's say you really like a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, but you could live without it. Replace it with a cheeseburger and small fries. Calories saved: old meal: 1080, new meal: 550 almost HALF the calories! Then save the really "good" stuff you think you can't live without for that workout treat! (Personally I like to do the Happy Meal 'cause I get a toy.)

Heehee!  Yes, I've found that a Happy Meal once every month or two solves my Mickey D's craving from my past life.  And my niece and nephew reap the benefits. 

2007-02-19 6:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
The biggest problem I have with this sort of thing is that I start to resent the diet and at that point it's alll over. I therefore have decided to not ban anything I will however keep a mental diary of how good I am being and then allow myself to be naughty once in a while.

2007-02-19 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I know for me if its not 1 thing its another. funny how we can do so well for so long and then wake up one money and bame off the wagon.

That is why sleep is so important. I know I carve the worst foods when I am tired.

Edited by chirunner134 2007-02-19 6:36 AM
2007-02-19 6:33 AM
in reply to: #695142

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

chirunner134 - 2007-02-19 7:14 AM I know for me if its not 1 thing its another. funny how we can do so well for so long and then wake up one money and bame off the wagon. That is why sleep is so important. I know I carve the worst foods for me when I am tired.

LOL. 

Mark

2007-02-19 6:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FAST FOOD Rss Feed