General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started Running!....now I have a few questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-23 6:00 PM

St Louis, MO
Subject: Started Running!....now I have a few questions...
So i officially started my running program earlier this week, and being a complete newb, I think i should ask some questions....

The way I have been going about it sofar is to head over to my local track, stretch for 10min before, walk 1 lap (1/4mi), run 1, repeat, then stretch again when Im done. I figured id start off easy and do 2 miles each session this week, then maybe up it a bit more next week, maybe walk 1, run 2, repeat. (physically i have plenty of endurance since I race road bikes, i just dont want to hurt anything prematurely).

My questions are....is this appropriate or should I try something else?

Also, places I need to figure out how to improve on; the first two laps or so it seems like there is a little tingle of pain in the front of my shin when that foot lands on the ground, but it goes away after a few laps....and then after a few laps, whatever muscle that is on the outside of your thigh, directly above your kneecap (my left in this case), seems to have a little pain as well....is this normal to beginning, should I be stretching something in particular, or do these muscles just need to get a bit stronger before i start upping the milage?

Thanks for everyones help,

Doug

2007-02-23 6:13 PM
in reply to: #701440

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Subject: RE: Started Running!....now I have a few questions...

You will probably get a bunch of different answers and I'll address one part of your question but don't really feel qualified to answer the pain part.

Increasing your mileage like that sounds good. Make sure that every few weeks you take it easier and don't increase to give your body a rest. Also you are going to quickly get bored out of your mind running on a track. Instead go and run other places as well and jsut do the same walk run thing.  Just carry a watch and start each interval based on time. Going around in circles will drive you crazy after a while.

As for stretching. If you want to stretch before you run warm up a bit first. Walk a bit or do a little light jogging. Stretching cold muscles is not a good idea. I don't stretch at all before I run so I don' think that it is requirement at all. If you feel sore or tight after a run stretching is definitely a good thing to do in my mind.

And on another note, way to go getting started on a running program! You soon become addicted like so many of us here have . Keep posting and let us know how it's going...

Edited by Global 2007-02-23 6:15 PM
2007-02-23 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Oooh, lemme jump in here....First, congratulations on getting your running groove on.  It's a good thing.

Now...to your points.  The walk as a warmup, run for a while, then walk isn't a bad thing.  If that's what you're comfortable with, then OK.  Just checking your athletic profile, though, I think you can do more running than walking.  I'd look to phase out the walk over time.  But you've got to be comfortable doing it.

The other issue, the pulling on your left leg above the knee, that's likely your ITB.  Do a search of the posts on this forum to see what folks have done to combat it....it's like the triathlon scourge.  BUT....between massage, the stick, stretching, a ton of folks have had success getting fast even with their ITB not behaving.  There's hope there. 

The only other thing I'd volunteer is that good shoes will make all the difference.  With solid shoes, your tingling AND the ITB issue may just disappear.  Go to your local running store, try a BUNCH of shoes, listen to their advice, and dial-in your footwear.  It'll help.

2007-02-23 8:24 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

All the above are good ideas.

I'll chime in with this.  Do a search for CHI RUNNING or POSE RUNNING.  Essentially they are about running form.  Just based on what I've read on posts here on BT I was able to get enough info to run with better form and even at 250lbs (when I started running) I avoided shin splints and ankle/knee problems.

This may help with you shin pain.

Happy running.

2007-02-23 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia
The small pain above your knee is likely the ITB as another poster suggested. Here's a link to some good stretches to try before you run.

I personally like the standing one (4th pic down on the right)

http://www.triathloncoach.net/itb_Stretches.htm

Hope it helps! Good luck
2007-02-23 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Luray, Virginia
I agree with tupuppy. I can't run pose, but I do run on the balls of my feet instead of my heels. Great way to avoid injury!

I had itbs a couple months ago, and doing itbs stretches along with cutting back on my running helped it go away. The reason you might be getting itbs is if you are always going in the same direction on the track. Is the knee that is hurting the one that is on the inside of the track?

Good luck and get better!

itbs info:
http://www.lwcoaching.com/library/runnersguideitbs.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

itbs stretch:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0168b.htm

2007-02-24 8:33 AM

St Louis, MO
that seems odd, but yes, its always the inside of the track knee (my left in this case).....

• ...this is sort of what i was wondering when i started training for tri...even with tons of bike training/racing experience I was curious what muscles i might have to go easy on when running...ie, muscles that never see much strain from riding....amazing how you can be in shape to race cat3, but you try to run 2 miles and something hurts.....heh.

• Thanks again for everyones help, ill start doing some of those specific stretches and switch up where I run and see how that works next week.

2007-02-24 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
    Dallas, TX
    Doug... before you started running program, did you go to a true running store and have someone look at your gait/form and pick out some shoes that work for your form? The first step to injury prevention is good shoes.

2007-02-24 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
    St. Louis
    2007-02-24 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
    Los Gatos, CA
    Aches and pains are common with running especially when you start out and through the initial build phase which can last a good 6-9 months if you're serious about it, your body is gradually adjusting to the considerable rigors and aches and pains will come and go until your body hardens and even then there will be stuff.....some pains come and go, others persist so sometimes you just wait a day or two and throttle back before you worry yourself to death....do get shoes with the correct support...if you are a heavy pronator without the support, injuries will come your way including chronic ones like plantar fasciatis....start slow but be consistent...running is a journey...also support reading CHI running....good common sense guide to running
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started Running!....now I have a few questions... Rss Feed