General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too many carbs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-23 7:58 AM

Pro
Andover
Subject: Too many carbs?
Hey Folks,

As I mentioned in a couple other posts, I'm going "off" the South Beach Diet in order to take in more carbs to fuel my running, riding, and soon swimming.

The following in my new "menu" and I'm wondering if this looks okay or if I have too many carbs in it. Could you please give your thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Breakfast:
1/2 cup fat free, plain yogurt
1/4 cup Grape Nuts
1 banana or strawberries and blueberries

Mid-morning:
1 laughing cow lite cheese wedge, 15 almonds

Lunch:
1 hard boiled egg
Carrots and celery
Salad with 6 bean mix OR 1 slice whole grain bread with peanut butter

Mid-afternoon:
1 low-fat mozzarella cheese stick
Fruit (Banana or strawberries and blueberries - depends on which fruit(s) I had for breakfast)

Dinner:
Whole Wheat pasta, 1 turkey meat ball, salad
OR
Brown/Wild rice, chicken, veggies
OR
1 slice whole grain bread, veggie omelet
OR
1 slice whole grain bread, turkey burger, salad

• 2004-08-23 12:41 PM
    in reply to: #51716

Pro
    Andover
    Subject: RE: Too many carbs?
    Yikes! Sorry if this was a stupid question/post folks! :-O

I'm just worried that I might be adding too many carbs in too soon.

Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens - that's probably the best bet anyway.

Cheers,
    Rob
    2004-08-23 1:47 PM

Veteran
    Northern IL
    What are the total calories? Are you currently racing or in your off season? How much do you weigh?

Mike
    2004-08-23 2:00 PM

Pro
    Andover
    Hmmm... not sure about the calorie count - guess that is important.
    I've just started back at running and riding (as a result of losing enough weight on the SBD) so I only train and "race" at one pace - SLOW.

I'm 5'7" and I weight 189. I know I have more to lose but I know it will come off with the exercise. I just don't want to overdue the carbs - but that is where the calorie count comes in I guess.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Best regards,
    Rob
    2004-08-23 6:01 PM

New user

Vancouver
    I try to follow the Canadian food guide recommendations for food. When I am hardly doing any training, I tend to stay on the low ends of their recommendations. When I am training hard I move to 2/3rds of their recommendations.

Here's a link to the Canada Food Guide: Canada Food Guide-Rainbow Chart

I also try to go by the recommendation that at least 60% of your diet should be carbohydrates when your training. I also try to follow the recommendation that only 1 serving of carbohydratea a day should be from a wheat source.

But the best way to know is to try it out and see how you feel. Good luck!
    2004-08-24 11:15 AM

Veteran
    Northern IL
    I think what you need to do is count calories and not carbs. Low carb diets were developed for Obese and diabetic subjects who had a limited exercise routine. If you in the midst of your racing season you should be eating a ton of carbs as well as over all calories. I recently read the book "Food for Fitness" by Chris Carmichael. It answered a bunch of my questions. I was taking in about 1,500 calories a day last January. I figured I wanted to make this a tri season to remember boy did I ever. When I began to train harder and harder I had no energy I couldn't do a thing. It was common sense after I read it I needed to up my calories especially my carbs. I never did. My races were less than spectacular this year. If you are striving for weightloss focus on that during your off season. Eat healthy make sure you get your fair share of carbs, protein and healthy fats and you will be fine.

Mike

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too many carbs? Rss Feed