General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hurricane Charley...A plea to all triathletes. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-23 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: Hurricane Charley...A plea to all triathletes.
Hello everyone:

My last day of training was Thursday August 12, a short bike ride. Then Charley hit my home town. Yes I'm in Port Charlotte Florida and the eye of the hurricane went right over the harbor.

I'm sure most of you saw the coverage on the various networks, but the pictures that you saw cannot begin to convey the absolute and total devestation this small county has suffered. As I drove around the county it doesn't appear that a single street escaped the ravages of the storm. I am at work right now and I have power as my job is considered an esential fascitlity (I'm a prosecuting attorney and work in the court house), however the majority of the county is still without power, despite power crews from around the country working around the clock.

My gym lost its roof, and the two local bike shops are gone. When I say gone I mean that there isn't even a trace of the buildings. ( I had just saved enough to buy a bike, I guess I'm going to have to take my chances on something over the net) The YMCA was damaged so I can't use the pool, it is imposible to run due to the amount of trees, debris and power lines in the roads.

But I was lucky my house suffered only minor damage and my family is fine, I sent my wife and daughter to Orlando to stay with her sister until we get power back.

But I have a plea to all of you that read this. 25 counties in Florida were hit by this hurricane. Charlotte county was hit the worse but other counties like DeSoto and Hendry were hit equally hard. Our sport can be expensive, and even us beginners or middle of the packers have a fascination with buying new equipment every year. I am challenging each of you that reads this to hold off buying one piece of equipment or don't enter one sprint and take that money and donate it to your local American Red Cross chapter and ask that that money go to hurricane relief in Florida.

I've seen the devastation first hand, I've seen homes without walls and roofs, I've seen aluminum pool cages wrapped around trees as if they were pieces of string, I've seen people standing in lines at the aid stations for water and food. The projection of damage just in the two coastal counties that were hit is 17 Billion dollars. ANy money you donate to the American red cross will go to the area you request it to go to. Everyone is so generous with their time and experience on this board helping their fellow triathletes. I am challenging you all now to help people that are in dire need. My experience has been that triathletes are incapable of shying away from a challenge.

Thank you all and keep training.

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

2004-08-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: #51792

User image

Subject: RE: Hurricane Charley...A plea to all triathletes.
It's done. Thank you for the personal plea. I have been hearing the Red Cross ads on the radio, your post made me take action.

I sorry for the losses experienced by your community.
2004-08-23 7:19 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
If you live in the Southeast, you can also donate at your local Publix grocery store when you check out. Was in tonight and saw that they're taking cash donations to give to the United Way for Charley victims, and will be for the next several weeks.

You and everyone who was affected have my deepest sympathies and wishes for a speedy return to normal.
2004-08-23 9:02 PM

User image

Orlando FL
In Orlando, the proceeds from this Sunday's 5k will be going to a Charley relief fund. We suffered quite a bit here in Orange county, too, and one of our triathlon race venues took a big hit, but I don't think we're hurting like they are in Charlotte County. We're thinking about you, John.
2004-08-23 9:03 PM

Regular
I am glad that you and you family are ok.

It is hard for us in other places to imagine .

Hang in there.

Stacey
2004-08-24 12:42 AM

User image

Elite
Reno
my thoughts are with your community. I am glad your family was unharmed and your home still stands.

2004-08-24 2:22 PM
in reply to: #52149

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Shelltri is right, I've driven around the Orlando area and they got hit hard too. When I left Orlando to return to Punta Gorda on Sunday 8/22 (Out of the frying pan and into the fire) I think there were still tens of thousands of people in the Orlando area that were with out power.

As you can see from Shelltri's post and mine Florida was devestated by hurricane Charley, not to mention that a week earlier a smaller hurricane hit the Florida pan handle.

I just wanted to thank all of you for reading these posts and for your prayers and donations. All of Southwest Florida and Central Florida needs lots of both right about now.

JLB
2004-08-24 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

J,

Thanks for your update. I am so glad your family is well. I hope that power is restored and your community can get back to rebuilding itself. God bless you and yours.

2004-08-27 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Oviedo, FL
Godspeed on your recovery efforts! In Oviedo we got hit pretty hard (just got cable like an hour ago!) I only had power out for 6 days and kept thinking about you guys in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda! I'll keep you in my prayers!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hurricane Charley...A plea to all triathletes. Rss Feed