General Discussion Race Reports! » CRIM Festival of Races - 10 mile Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

CRIM Festival of Races - 10 mile Road Race - Run

View Member's Race Log
Flint, Michigan
United States
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 27m 58s
Overall Rank = 2678/6656
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Start hydrating (again) at 4:50 am. Small bow of Lucky Charms. Just getting stuff packed to go. Left at 5:45 am in order to find place and pick up race packet. The race is scheduled to start at 8 am.

Traffic wasnt too bad, found parking and walked about 1/2 mile to the packet pickup/ EXPO. Place was a ZOO!!!! (in a good way).

THis is a world class race (then why am I doing it???), with 8 of the top 10 finishers all from Kenya. The top 10 all finished in under 5 min per mile pace!!!

So anyway, once the Kenyans and I decided on our race strategy, it became bathroom strategy. At 7:20, thunderstorms rolled in sending everyone into the already cramped headquarters. Hydrating really becomes a problem when toilet space becomes a rarity.
Event warmup:

Stretching for 15-20 min until find out race delayed till 8:30.
Run
  • 1h 27m 58s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Gun went off - and we stood still for about 45 seconds, finally time to move, its a slow walk, hit the starting line and could do an easy jog. Weaving thru people the entire race. Kept thinking it would thin out, but it really never did.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot, probably pick a starting point at the 8 min pace instead of 9 min. I was passing people the entire race, which slowed my pace a little.

Decided NOT to drink on the course, which worked out well.

Was HOPING for 8:30 pace, but my actual pace not too bad considering the slow start (1st mile 9:07) and playing "NASCAR Running".
Post race
Warm down:

Walking to get a popsicle and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Starting a little too far back in the field and going out at a little too slow a pace.

Event comments:

Great race and event - over 7,000 volunteers!!!!!!! Great spectators, just a few too many runners, but then that was also kind of cool too.

Last updated: 2004-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:58 | 10 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2678/6656
Performance: Good
163 avg HR.
Course: Lots of turns in first couple of miles, which was difficult due to the mass of people. I tried to get to the outside of every turn to avoid getting crushed on the inside. This added some distance to my run (Garmin ForeRunner said I ran 10.2 miles), but I think was better for my overall time. Very hilly in the midle portion - but not too bad - they were short enough that they didn't kill me - really focused on trying to maintain my pace going up. Awesome spectators!!!! They lined the course in the downtown area, thousands of people cheering. Out in the residential areas, there were block parties and lots of people in their yards set up to watch the race- very cool!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-31 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: CRIM Festival of Races - 10 mile Road Race

2004-08-31 11:21 PM
in reply to: #55955

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: CRIM Festival of Races - 10 mile Road Race
Sounds like a great race. Congratulations!
2004-09-01 9:41 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-03 12:21 PM

Expert
Adrian, MI
Nice job, Gary. Sounds like it was a great race. Maybe I'll consider it in the future. What was the route like? Was it scenic in any way?

I especially liked the line, "So anyway, once the Kenyans and I decided on our race strategy, it became bathroom strategy." Hillarious.

I can't agree more about starting farther up. When I did Hell with my sister we started way in the back, and even though we were going a 9:30ish pace it took us forever to work our way through the slower runners. 2 miles probably. Really messed up our time. Makes me wonder what some of these people were thinking that were lined up ahead of us...

While you didn't hit your goal time, you should be proud of "officially" decimating the 9 minute mark. I'm going to assume also that your time was a new PB.

I found it interesting that you choose not to hydrate during the race. I guess one the one hand that tells me your in fantastic shape.

And finally, I could make a snide remark about WHY people were lining the streets of Flint, but I'll refrain.
2004-09-03 11:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
it sounds like it was a really fun race and your times were good to boot!! keep practicing those hills for your ironman next year! lake placid's no joke!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CRIM Festival of Races - 10 mile Road Race Rss Feed