General Discussion Race Reports! » 2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Lincoln Track Club
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 952/3432
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 96/162
Pre-race routine:

English muffin, 1/2 Power bar, and a bottle of water for breakfast 2 hours before race time.
Run
  • 1h 54m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought I did pretty good for my first half-marathon. Pace was about right. I got faster as the race went on and was in less traffic. Mile 11-12 was the toughest. Tried to "turn the gas on" with one mile to go, but didn't have much.
What would you do differently?:

Line up closer to the front of the pack to avoid having to pass some slower runners. My first mile was around 9:30 which is about a minute slower than what I wanted. It seemed like the first 4-5 miles all I was doing was fighting to pass.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, grabbed some gatorade and water. Waited for Jeff (jeff417) to finish. Had a couple pics taken. Went out to eat with family afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather, rainy and windy. Traffic at the start. Hopefully will get a little more training in before next time.

Event comments:

Really pleased with race for being my first half-mary. Learned a lot and had a good time. Enjoyed the night-before dinner and activities. Got 2 free t-shirts out of it so I can't complain.

Last updated: 2007-05-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:59 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 96/162
Overall: 952/3432
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-07 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: 2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon

2007-05-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: #791616

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: RE: 2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon

Jeremy,

Nice race.  It was a first half-mary for my wife and I as well.  We really had a great time.  We just started running a year and a half ago as we were apporaching 40, so we are high-fiving each other all day today still (day after). 

You and I were in about the same boat in that we were lined up too far back and had to pass people all of the time.  That's my only complaint about the race - it might be getting too big.  The worst bottlenecks were on Highway 2, for me, but surprisingly, Sheridan Blvd was a mess sometimes too!  I have to take some of the blame, though, for lining up too slow, and it was worth it to start with my wife. 

Did you enjoy flying down 48th Street?  I was amazed at how fast that was.  Record pace, and nothing but fun.  (GPS kept track of pace in 10 minute increments, so I can review the race and remember the pace, like I need more geek stuff).  You know, as you get older, its one thing to slog along pounding the pavement, but it feels entirely different to sort of have a breakthrough where you run like a kid again (not awkward and flopping all over the place) after 20 years, even if just for a few miles.  Its not fast, but its fast for me. 

We missed the pastathon (kids and such) but maybe next year.  Great race, and we'll do it again, I'm sure.  Who can beat two t-shirts? 

Kevin

Edited by KMac40 2007-05-07 8:29 PM
2007-05-07 9:04 PM
in reply to: #791616

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: 2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon
Nice job for your first half.  As far as lining up to far back, better to go out too slow than too fast, but, a lesson learned.  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2007 Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half-Marathon Rss Feed