General Discussion Race Reports! » Nutley Chamber of Commerce 9th Annual 5K Fun Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nutley Chamber of Commerce 9th Annual 5K Fun Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nutley, New Jersey
United States
Nutley Chamber of Commerce
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 32s
Overall Rank = 109/222
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

Ate an Eggo waffle. Nothing major.
Event warmup:

Ran a lap around the football field. Stretched a LOT. I was very stiff this morning.
Run
  • 28m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I think it went pretty well, considering how hilly it got. I missed the first pace clock and was really thrown off by the fact that I had no idea what point in the race I was at. I could guess from my watch, but I needed more precision. I walked briefly somewhere past the mile and a half, because I usually walk a few steps at the water stations and there had been none - I needed a mental break. Then I found out the two mile mark was close and there was water there. I got to the two mile around 18:05 and walked while I drank. The cups were tiny and I did not get nearly enough water - barely wet my mouth. I was a little shaky through the third mile (another hill, too). I walked a bit more with probably a half mile to go. I finally began to pick up when I realized where I was and that the finish was close. I did a good job of using the downslopes to my advantage - I passed some kid on the hill down to the finish because I lengthened my stride well. I did have the energy to muscle through the finish line. Overall, it was a pretty nice race. And three minutes faster than last Saturday, which goes to show you how sick I still was. I beleive I can say I'm over it now.
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention to the pace clocks! And not get discouraged because I don't know where I am in the race. I shouldn't need to know my pace to keep my head in it.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched out and ran half a lap around the football field again because I was cramping.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not seeing the first mile clock definitely hurt me. If I'd seen my split, it would have motivated me at a critical point (since I hear it was at the top of one of the big hills). The other big factor was the water. I've gotten into the habit of walking at the water stations in order to actually swallow some of it (instead of splashing all over myself). Now I've become accustomed to that mental break and it was very difficult today to not have it until the second mile.

Event comments:

The post-race stuff dragged a bit because the last three walkers didn't come in until well over the hour mark (at least fifteen minutes behind the next-to-last group). There wasn't much food at the end either. The camraderie was very good, though - lots of very supportive volunteers and spectators. Overall it was a decent local race.

Last updated: 2007-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:32 | 03.11 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 109/222
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly! There were two major hills in the first mile, one right at the beginning. That's not a fun way to start, especially when you're not expecting it. It was a road race through the town - very scenic and shady for most of the way - and there was some traffic on the roads, but it was not usually allowed on the side we were on.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-08 6:07 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Nutley Chamber of Commerce 9th Annual 5K Fun Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nutley Chamber of Commerce 9th Annual 5K Fun Run Rss Feed