The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 52m 57s
Overall Rank = 502/968
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 57/147
Pre-race routine:

slept ok, up at 4:45, cup of coffee to get things moving, pbj on wheat, 24 oz gatorade, SSS, left for race at 5:40, boost plus on the way, arrive at 6:05, plenty of time to leisurely set up T. My spot, AGAIN, was in about the worst possible location, in each of the three races I've done, I have been all the way down on the end as far from the center aisle as I could possiby be. Trying to figure out who I pissed off. Anyway, set up went fine, but would discover during T1 that I still forgot to get my bike shoes out of my duffel bag... doh! Drank 16 oz H2O. Feeling good. I am ready.
Event warmup:

none really, a few easy strokes in the water, before the wave went off, we swam with the 20-24 AG, 160 swimmers between both AGs.
Swim
  • 30m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I set up on the inside and back from the start. I just don't like the banging or being crawled over. I know I am slow, so makes no sense to be up front. I stopped about five times during the first 400m, or so because of traffic. I know that this slowed me down a bit. I think I did ok from a navigational standpoint. I never looked at my watch the whole swim. I felt pretty comfortable, maybe too comfortable, but I had so much trouble at Smallwood during the swim (dizzy, light headed, etc.). I didn't want to over do it and create problems for myself. So, I just kept a nice semi-relaxed pace. Figuring I would catch up on the bike and run. I was looking for about 29 minutes, but I was still pleased, because it was much, MUCH, better than the 37+ at Smallwood!
What would you do differently?:

Set up on the right, instead of the left, and go just a little bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

I ran out of the water and to my lousy T spot. I just need to practice the transitions, so that I am not so slow. Also, forgetting to get my bike shoes out of my duffel bag did not help.

practice and use a check list, concentrate, focus, don't talk so much to people around me.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 39s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

this was a very good ride for me. I was having a blast! I drove the course the day before and saw all the hills, but what goes up must come down, right? It rained about half the time, but it was a light rain. It did make for some concernation on a few turns, but overall it was fine. I had no trouble climbing the hills, except when I dropped my chain about 17 miles in, which cost me about a minute because it got stuck between the crank. I didn't panic about this, although I was mad that about 20 bikes went by. I just unclipped, stopped, got off fixed it, and thought about how much fun it would be to re-pass all those that got the extra benefit of my mechanical problem. And, yes, I did re-pass them, ALL of them :-) The descents were just so much fun! At one point I got up to 39 mph and it was like WEEEEEEE!! I really enjoyed this ride, and I made the time I wanted - 79 minutes was my goal, and I was pretty much right on the mark. I felt good the whole way, no fatigue, I stayed in aero a good majority of the ride and felt like I was hammering away BIG TIME! I took in about two thirds of the GU2O in my aero bottle, which I thought was sufficient, but looking back, this was not nearly enough, and would really come to haunt me in the run. Life lessons learned...

This was just such an swesome ride for me, just needed to hydrate more. Drink all the fluid I take on the bike, or don't bring it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

I was so happy with my bike time! I felt great! The transitions are still slow for me. I know I will get better at this.

practice would help
Run
  • 54m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this is where everything turned sour for me. I felt really good after I came off the bike, until I started to run. As soon as I hit the run course I got severe abdominal cramps that had me doubled over in pain. The pain was so severe that it took my breath away. I know that I am a slow swimmer and I really count on the run to make up the time I lose in the water. The run is my strength, I can kick butt in the run but, unfortunately, this time it let me down. I have never had this problem before. I kept trying to get going but I just couldn’t get up to any kind of a decent pace. I should have been doing at least a 7:30 pace but with the pain could barely make 9:30. I struggled like this till about mile marker 4 at which point the problem started to ease somewhat, but still hurt a lot. I gradually began to increase my pace and actually finished very strong to a huge cheering crowd, everyone saying how good I looked, great kick, etc., which was pretty cool, but of course they had no idea how much I hurt. Anyway, the run time was not at all what I was looking for. I figure I lost about eight or nine minutes because of the abdominal cramps.

hyrate better on the bike, perhaps try some electrolyte pills. I was pretty upset about my run, but the clock keeps ticking, and there are no do overs. It is what it is.
Post race
Warm down:

Through 30 running races, and the two endurance races last September, I had NEVER seen the inside of a medical tent, till now, that is. I thought I was fine, but just to be on the safe side, and to comply with the advice of the RD, and my wife, I went and got checked out. My gut hurt for about an hour, or so, after the race, and then I was ready to go do another race. But I have to wait till July for the Xterra at Rocky Gap. I went directly to Arbutus and coached in our son's travel baseball game for three hours. No rest for the weary :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, the cramps? I wanted to be in the top 30, and sub 2:40, but I lost about nine minutes on the run, and dropped my chain once on the bike on a big climb which cost me about another minute. Also, my transitions were slow because I didn’t practice them. I know that I could have been faster. I left a lot of time out on the course, but all in all, it was ok. At least I didn’t quit. Also, somehow lost my HR data, hit the wrong button during the run. Oh, well.

Event comments:

The RD, Rob Viggorito, is top notch, they just don't get any better! The logistics for this race are simply incredible and amazing. The course, the timing, the super volunteers, awesome police, fire, and EMT personnel, everyone involved were fantastic. I can't wait to do this race next year!

Last updated: 2006-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:43 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 97/147
Overall: 0/968
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: counter clockwise loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:39 | 25.48 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/147
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills, not many flats, either up or down, open to traffic, but I did not feel this was an issue.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:05 | 06.21 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/147
Performance: Bad
Course: clockwise around Centennial Lake and through the surrouding neighborhoods. The course was hilly but not much more than anything I train on. I was not intimadated.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-22 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2007-05-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #811512

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
nice job improving on your swim time. great recovery after dropping your chain---looked like there were a lot of flats and other mechanical problems out there.
2007-05-22 11:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-22 12:31 PM

Expert
North Central WV

Sorry to hear about the GI problems on the run.  It really sucks when something like that happens.

I dropped my chain once too but luckily it took just a few seconds to fix (and it was on an uphill so I didn't lose too much) and like you, I passed everyone who passed me while I was off the bike

What did the medical folk say about the GI thing?  Good luck at the next one!

2007-05-22 2:54 PM

Elite
Reston VA

Sorry about the cramping! Bummer!

Great race and awesome finish under pretty hard conditions!

2007-05-23 8:17 AM

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Stomach pains are the worst!  You stuck it out and finished, though.  Nice job.  Awesome bike split with a dropped chain.

2007-05-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: #811958

Veteran
Maryland
the medical staff said hydration and nutrition were both possible. I have a co-worker who's son is a pro and he said take electrolyte pills. I have some of and considered taking them but I haven't tried them before, and as they say never try something new on race day. It just was all very strange since this has never happened before. Looking back, I just think I didn't drink enough on the bike, not sure how I will ever really know. I'm just gonna keep on training and it will all comes together next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed