General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Doing Enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-01 1:04 PM

Subject: Am I Doing Enough?
After having been ripped a new one by several people on this board for mentioning that I waste an hour of my week doing weights, I now have another question. But first...

One caveat before I continue. Please don't take my log into account as a truly accurate measure of what I've been up to and am capable of doing, or plan to keep doing. This is only my second week of training and I was gone for 4 days on a camping trip - hence the large amount of "sports" hours. Secondly, I've had something mostly every single weeknight for the past two weeks- which will be ending this weekend. So for example, my Wednesday evening bike ride was cut to only an hour because that was all the daylight I had.

But my question is, should I be putting in two workout sessions every day? I go to the gym in the morning and either swim or run. I usually bike in the evening (because I can't commute to work, nor can I get in much of a ride in the morning and be able to make it to work on time - though that MAY change when I move), and run as well, on the days that I've blocked off as swim/run days. But should I have a two-workout day EVERY day, except my one off day? Minus maybe the weekends when I do a long bike ride?

I'm planning on trying to take the bike out in the evenings regardless, as much as possible. I just don't want to overtrain and hurt myself. But I am wondering if I should really be doing two work-outs a day? I'm not trying to win the thing, but if it's what it takes to even cross the finish line, I'll do it. And I'd rather know sooner than later.

2007-06-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #825862

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Am I Doing Enough?
What are your goals? That will largely depend on how many hours you should be putting in.

You should probably follow a training plan, especially if you are new. That way you don't have to think about any of the how much's or when's or how long's.
2007-06-01 1:17 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

First, I hope you now understand that nobody is "ripping" you for wasting your time.

As far as what you should be doing, that needs to take into account how much you have already been doing (don't start adding too much, too fast), what your goals are (related to that "ripping" you referred to), and what your other constraints in life are (almost all of us have them). 

Two-a-days are not necessary to cross the finish line.  They probably are necessary if you are competing for a top spot.  Most people fall somewhere in between (not attempting to win the race, but hoping to be "competitive" within their own definition of that word) and need to figure out the right balance that works for them.

If you've only been trining for 2 weeks and don't have a background in any of the 3 sports, I think you can pretty safely put 2-a-days aside for a little bit and just try to develop a routine that works for you.  Check out some of the training plans on BT and see which ones look "doable" given where you are at today.  Worry about tomorrow later.

And don't stop lifting weights (or doing yoga, etc.) unless doing so helps meet YOUR goals.

2007-06-01 1:17 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

First of all, no one "ripped a new one" on you, you entered a discussion and were told that, for triathlon purposes, an hour spent weight training may be better spent in sport-specific training. If that's ripping you a new one, perhaps you're too sensitive to be posting on an internet forum.

To answer your question, if your goal is simply to finish a sprint triathlon, then you can get by with a minimum of training. In fact, I know a couple dozen people around here you have completed sprint triathlons without any triathlon specific-training whatsoever.

If you're new to this, it may be beneficial for you to adopt one of the training plans on this site and use it as a guideline.

Edited by the bear 2007-06-01 1:19 PM
2007-06-01 1:29 PM

I am using the basic 13-week program from this website as a guideline for how many days a week I should do which activity (ie, run/swim monday, rest Tuesday, bike Wednesay, run Thursday, etc). And from there, I grabbed a bunch of articles on swimming drills, following a somewhat revised 5k running plan, etc and am trying to incorporate those into my workouts. But I just feel like I'm not doing enough, especially when I read other posts on here.
2007-06-01 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO

Regarding the strength training...I love it.  When I am on my set schedule (the past two weeks have been a little rough) I lift three times a week during my lunch hour.  The other two days, I run on my lunch hour.  I have not been able to get to the pool much or ride much due to evening and weekend obligations, so as not to "over-run" myself, strength training has been great.

As far as doing enough, that is based on what your goals are.  There are many great training plans available here at BT.

It's great that you are seeking advice and coaching from your sister, riding in the evening, when you can, and fitting in yoga (which is very beneficial to triathletes.)

Keep at it...you are doing great!

2007-06-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: #825944

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

wurkit_gurl - 2007-06-01 1:29 PM I am using the basic 13-week program from this website as a guideline for how many days a week I should do which activity (ie, run/swim monday, rest Tuesday, bike Wednesay, run Thursday, etc). And from there, I grabbed a bunch of articles on swimming drills, following a somewhat revised 5k running plan, etc and am trying to incorporate those into my workouts. But I just feel like I'm not doing enough, especially when I read other posts on here.

Remember that people making those "other" posts have different backgrounds and goals from you.  I've been training steadily for nearly 3 years now and have a goal of an ironman this summer.  I don't think, for example, that you should model your current training off of mine.

But if you want, feel free to go back to the beginning of my logs (fall '04) and see what I was doing then.  That should make you feel better about what you are doing today.

2007-06-01 1:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Bear is a self-imposed curmudgeon and is very frank; however, I don't think that he was "ripping" on you, so I would say, please, don't take it as such.

Two-a-days for you MAY be beneficial, but it depends on what you are doing, how much and how long you would be doing them, and how much intensity. BUT, doing too much and too soon can also have a negative impact.

I would go with the 1 day a week weights, and attempt a little extra run and bike times in Z2. Your swimming appears to be decent. If anything, do a swim then a bike or a run for the two-a-days, 2 times a week, then after a week or two, do 3 times a week if you have the time and are not having issues. Remember, do not build more than 10%. For the two-a-days, do the BRICK.

The two-a-days are usually for the people that are more competitive and have been doing this for awhile. Just don't push yourself and stay healthy. An Ironman friend of mine said this:
"Train harder, but rest harder", meaning that you also need your rest days for your body to repair itself, which makes you better.

Does this make sense or help?
2007-06-01 1:36 PM
in reply to: #825903

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Counter to what I would usually say ...... perhaps investing in a coach even on a one or two time basis would be beneficial?

The things I would suggest (some have already been put out):

1) Figure out what it is you want to accomplish with the sport.  Lifestyle change, finish a specific distance race, be competitive and more active in the sport, etc.?

2) Look at your realistic available training time and approximate how much time you want to invest in each discipline.  And realize there will be hiccups that may throw that off occassionaly.

3) Take an "equipment" inventory and see if you have everything you need to train and participate at the level you want.  It is very easy to do a tri with a bathing suit, a mountain bike and some running shoes.  But it is also very easy to spend billions (well, not literally, but pretty damn close) getting all the goodies you want.  If there are things you need or want, figure out how to budget that (assuming you're not filthy rich).

4) Look at the plans on BT, run a google search for others, buy or borrow some books on triathlon training and talk with people on the forums (as you are) to see how things that work for others may translate over to your plans.

And most of all ........ remember why you are doing this!  Don't get wrapped up in the minutia and enjoy the sport!!

Edited by Daremo 2007-06-01 1:42 PM
2007-06-01 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

wurkit_gurl - 2007-06-01 2:29 PM But I just feel like I'm not doing enough, especially when I read other posts on here.

It's really easy to fall into that trap. Keep reading other people's blogs, but remember that just like when you race, it's your race, when you train, it's your training you have to worry about. Ease into this or you will probably burn out - fast. BTW, I still don't do two-a-days, and this is my second real season of tri-ing. But, I want to stick with this sport until I'm too old to crawl, not burn out because I wanted to win my AG, although that would really be nice.

Make a list of goals for yourself - realistic goals. It will help you decide what YOU want to get out of your training. 

2007-06-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: #825981

Champion
South Jersey

Daremo and JohnnyKay make a lot of good points, so listen to them .

If you are only two weeks into your training, I don't think there's any need to be doing frequent two a days. Most of us that are doing frequent doubles have been tri'ing for a bit longer than a few weeks. That type of schedule is not only physically demanding, but it presents a huge lifestyle change...something that takes a lot of getting used to for both yourself and those close in your life. It's not an easy transition to make overnight.

Just assess your goals for the season, pick some races, and do what you have to do and are able to do to achieve those goals.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!

2007-06-01 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Everyone in this thread gave great advice.

You know, my boyfriend trains for tri's... does a decent job at the races and only trains 3-4 days a week, if that.

For me, I typically put in 5-7 days a week. I'm not any faster than him though. But my goals are different, I'm looking forward to moving from sprints to a HIM in Oct and hopefully and IM in 08.

With that said, I don't do 2 a days. Sometimes I do, but only when I don't do what I need to do. For example: My coach gives me a workout every week. This week, I was suppose to run on Thursday. My legs were sore from weights on Tuesday, so I doubled up my swim and run workouts to Friday.

If you are training for a sprint, you shouldn't worry about 2 a days. Unless you want to cream the competition and be first place...???

Look at a training plan BT has to offer and fit what you can into your schedule. Trust me, I think everyone goes into the "I'm not training enough" panic mode before their first tri. We all have our doubts.

Good luck and keep up with your training log so people can make helpful informed suggestions in the future when you ask questions about your training.
2007-06-01 1:56 PM

User image

Hawai'i
Chrissy,

I have an athletic background. Unfortunately it is about 10 years or more away. This January I started training for a May Sprint Triathlon. I started off without a formal plan trying to follow some suggestions and doing what I felt was right. After 7 weeks I had shin/achille problems and had to stop running for a few weeks.

At that point I started following the basic sprint program. It didn't seem like enough and that I would be woefully underprepared for my first race. I kept faith in Ron's plan and just followed it until race day. I had a very successful race. It was painful. It was exhausting. My brain was a d!ck to me the whole time.

Feel free to take a look at my logs and race report for an idea of how things went for me. The mental block I had to get over was that I had plenty of time to get in shape and races in the first year were for the experience and fun.

Sean
2007-06-01 2:04 PM

Veteran
But I just feel like I'm not doing enough, especially when I read other posts on here.

Lots of great advice in this thread. As a beginner who also is awed by reading some of logs and daily workouts posted here, I can relate to how you feel. Unfortunately, I am recovering from an injury just like bigislandfiji's where I tried to bite off too much too quickly.

Triathlon is a sport that rewards patience more than any other sport I have participated in. Do the research and find a beginner plan. Try your best to stay patient and believe in the plan. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck and have fun.
2007-06-01 2:17 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I really am planning on getting in more biking- just the past two weeks got screwed up regarding my evening plans. Which I'm very sad about. And it won't happen again. Also, I am not able to log mileage yet until I get my bike computer set up. So that's annoying.

The running is a different story. I am working up to 5K, as I've never run before and one of my knees can be temperamental, so I'm trying not to push it right now. Right now I could feasibly walk/run the whole thing in about a half hour. So I figure at worst, I won't die. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the running - not feeling winded in training and definitely feeling like I could do more, though I'm trying to be disciplined. Starting this coming week, I am going to start adding a bike/run brick - learned that I should be doing this pretty much now, at the tri clinic I went to last night.
2007-06-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: #826049

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
wurkit_gurl - 2007-06-01 2:17 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I really am planning on getting in more biking- just the past two weeks got screwed up regarding my evening plans. Which I'm very sad about. And it won't happen again. Also, I am not able to log mileage yet until I get my bike computer set up. So that's annoying.

The running is a different story. I am working up to 5K, as I've never run before and one of my knees can be temperamental, so I'm trying not to push it right now. Right now I could feasibly walk/run the whole thing in about a half hour. So I figure at worst, I won't die. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the running - not feeling winded in training and definitely feeling like I could do more, though I'm trying to be disciplined. Starting this coming week, I am going to start adding a bike/run brick - learned that I should be doing this pretty much now, at the tri clinic I went to last night.

Great for you! Your legs will feel like jelly/cr*p, and if you have to walk, that's not a problem! Take your time, stay in your Z2 (hopefully you have a HR monitor - it's one of the best things to have).
If you have the time, take your car/mini-van/etc. out (or have a friend help) mark out the route with the odometer, or use Google-maps to get some rough mileage.
Good luck.

2007-06-01 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

When I started working out 17 months ago doing a two a day was not anything I would have thought about.

Much of your workout planning has to deal with 1. your current fitness level.  and 2. What you want to accomplish.

If you have been sitting on the couch for 16 years (more or less like I did.) than moving into 2 a day workout would be a quick way to injury and sitting back on the couch.  If you have not been working out for 2-3 months, ease back into the workout load.

If you want to place in your AG, then at some point workout at twice a day will be a part of your plan.  If you just want better fitness, you could do the whole year and not do 2 workouts. 

As for lifting weights, those have a place in Tri workouts.  They do not replace biking, swiming and running.  To get better at those you need to do them, when you lift in conjunction with running, swimming and biking you will see more improvement overall (provided you are doing the RIGHT lifting for those activities.)

2007-06-01 2:37 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

wurkit_gurl - 2007-06-01 1:29 PM I am using the basic 13-week program from this website as a guideline for how many days a week I should do which activity (ie, run/swim monday, rest Tuesday, bike Wednesay, run Thursday, etc). And from there, I grabbed a bunch of articles on swimming drills, following a somewhat revised 5k running plan, etc and am trying to incorporate those into my workouts. But I just feel like I'm not doing enough, especially when I read other posts on here.
This is probably the worst mistake anyone can make with their training. The point of a plan is to be your guide and to get your ready for your A race. Yes you might do some tweaks here and there but mainly to accommodate life stuff. If you grab a plan and then read a bunch of stuff on a magazine and change your plan and then grab another plan an add more stuff and then and then… it  is not going to work at best and you might end up injured/stressed at worst.

The best advice I can give you is: pick your A race, pick a training plan that suits your needs and makes you work on your weaknesses (i.e. intermediate 12 weeks for a sprint) and follow it. If it is too easy, try a more challenging one but do not change your plan every week otherwise you won’t be consistent and you won’t follow a progression.

Good luck and indeed, don’t waste your time doing ST 

2007-06-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: #826085

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
amiine - 2007-06-01 2:37 PM

Wrong smiley Jorge: bash

2007-06-01 2:44 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

You've gotten lots of reasonable advice on your thread topic and maybe I should read the other thread but I haven't yet.  Here goes anyway. 

There's nothing wrong with liking weight training.  I like it but it just doesn't fit with my goals right now.  I liked being a bigger guy, even though I was fatter, and after I fulfill some of my athletic dreams I plan to get into lifting again to make my appearance more the way I would like.  At 190 I feel like a twig.  I can't move stuff I used to be able to.  I would like to be back up to about 210, just a lot more healthy than I used to be.  For now, this becoming-skinnier-and-leaner body is what I need to be better at tris so that's just the way it goes.  Sometimes I'm annoyed that all this work I do doesn't really show up in my appearance because most of the benefit is in my legs.  My hair covered fuzzy legs.  (see - I read your logs.  Ha!)

The whole point of this should be to do what you enjoy.  If your goal is to survive and complete a sprint and you want to spend a lot of your training time lifting weights that is your business.  And if that's what makes you happy that's what you should do.  If your goals are to maximize your training time to be as fast as possible in the sprint then you need to adjust your training.  Besides, you've already seen that more time on the bike can have other benefits beyond racing. 

2007-06-01 2:47 PM

User image

Master
New York

slight hijack -

Jorge - when I first read this, I thought it meant posting at slowtwitch.

Off hijack

Edited by KenyonTri 2007-06-01 2:47 PM

2007-06-01 2:47 PM
in reply to: #826065

1stTimeTri - 2007-06-01 3:26 PM
Great for you! Your legs will feel like jelly/cr*p, and if you have to walk, that's not a problem! Take your time, stay in your Z2 (hopefully you have a HR monitor - it's one of the best things to have).
If you have the time, take your car/mini-van/etc. out (or have a friend help) mark out the route with the odometer, or use Google-maps to get some rough mileage.
Good luck.

I will be attaching my bike computer to my bike before I head out tomorrow morning. As for the HR monitor, I will have to find one on the cheap, as I have really NO extra cash for the next two months (and I don't make a lot)- I am basically paying three month's worth of rent for this month and two months worth for next month, as I am in the process of moving - so two apartments plus security deposit. Arg...will be posting about a HR monitor under "gear" soon...
2007-06-01 2:54 PM

amiine - 2007-06-01 3:37 PM

This is probably the worst mistake anyone can make with their training. The point of a plan is to be your guide and to get your ready for your A race. Yes you might do some tweaks here and there but mainly to accommodate life stuff. If you grab a plan and then read a bunch of stuff on a magazine and change your plan and then grab another plan an add more stuff and then and then… it  is not going to work at best and you might end up injured/stressed at worst.

The best advice I can give you is: pick your A race, pick a training plan that suits your needs and makes you work on your weaknesses (i.e. intermediate 12 weeks for a sprint) and follow it. If it is too easy, try a more challenging one but do not change your plan every week otherwise you won’t be consistent and you won’t follow a progression.

I see what you're trying to say but this is my thing - I can't afford to hire a coach (seriously, I can't and this is my first tri, so I'm not going to forego paying rent to do so), and I've never really swam or run before. The free plans on here only detail how many times a week and for how long you should do each exercise. I need drills, just swimming back and forth for 40 minutes isn't going to help me improve. So within the 40 minutes of swimming designated for say, Monday, I have a particular focus. If that makes sense.

And just to reiterate. I'm doing 1 hour max of weights a week- this week I only did more because I scrapped the swim workout for today. I swear, I'm not loading up my schedule with weights. But the last thread I posted on said I shouldn't do ANY.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2007-06-01 2:56 PM
2007-06-01 2:55 PM
in reply to: #826111

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Don't worry about the HRM ...... they aren't needed and are just another tool to use to gauge the overall package.  As I said in my first post - evaluate what you want and what you need and go from there.

Edit: And depending on who you talk to, drills are worthless ........ and it didn't say NOT to do it, it said to evaluate the time you have and apply it in the most effective manner to reach your goals.

Edited by Daremo 2007-06-01 2:59 PM
2007-06-01 3:01 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

You don't need a HRM, btw.  I finished my first sprint a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't tell you what my resting/max/LT rates are.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Doing Enough? Rss Feed  

of 2