General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoe's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-06-23 1:01 AM
in reply to: #829543

User image

Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Newton Running Shoe's
Thank you, as well. I'm a newbie to the site and was finding myself easily drawn-in by the marketing of the Newtons. Your reviews and the rest of the discussions have helped me decide to hold off and work on form first. Thanks again.

~T

2007-07-04 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
I agree, I really appreciate the review of the shoes. I'm a relative newbie and am looking for help with my running - and of course, with all of the chatter and ads about these shoes, I was glad to find Bryan's run tests. Thanks!!!!!
2007-07-04 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Just ordered me a set.  Reviews from other folks are all fine and good but I need to give them an honest trial myself.  For the price I'm gonna need to see some noticeable improvements in some aspect of my running though.
2007-07-05 12:49 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
I got a pair after reading Brian's reviews and talking to a few people who own them. I actually really like them, for me they seem to be faster for the same effort that I put in by :30 secs for my 10km loop that I do. Take all that with a grain of salt if you want, but for me I notice a difference while running hills mostly.

2007-07-05 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I think they are great on hills, especially going up.
2009-04-30 8:38 PM

Regular
I have a pair of stability trainers and put about 400 miles on them in the last four months... they are fantastic.  A great benefit for my shin splints.  I was skeptical at first but I really like them.  Are they 175$ vs 110$ better?  for me yes, since my shin splints seemed to benefit. 

2009-05-01 9:08 AM
in reply to: #847675

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
bryancd - 2007-06-17 5:22 PM OK, I just wanted to bump this thread for a final wrap up from me. I ran the Newton's for 2 weeks now, including a long run last Sunday of 13.6 miles. I ran twice during the week, each 8.3 miles just as I had before with no appreciable difference in feel or speed. Today I did the exact same long run as last week. I left at the same time in the morning, I was coming off of a 65 mile ride the day before in both cases and my average HR was within 1 bpm of each other. The only difference is that today I wore my Haywards. The two runs were comlpleted with 18 second of each other over a 13.6 mile run. In conclussion, for me, the Newtons don't seem to offer any specific advanatge over my Haywards and I find the additional padding and comfort of the Haywards superior. Also, the Newtons are already showing appreciable signs of wear in a very short time. For the cost and efficacy, I am going back to Nike. -Be the person your dog thinks you are!

From the Newton web site:
"Unlike other running shoes that wear from the inside out, reducing cushioning and energy return, Newton running shoes are constructed to wear from the outside in. Their high level of cushioning and energy return will remain for a long time, but you will see more wear on the outsole than with standard running shoes. However, that impact will not adversely affect the performance of the shoe."
2009-05-01 2:04 PM

User image

Elite
Miami

well i have wrote this in the past.  i have 2 pairs of nike 1 racing 1 practice.  i am a newbie and horrible runner.

the moment i started training for olympic and upped my running distances my left foot began to hurt had to see a podietrist get anti-inflamatory & began taping my foot.

out of curiosity i went into a small store and wanted to get some zoot ultra TT's, to have some cool new TRI runnign shoes....of course NO SIZE.  so a kid straight out of highschool working there came up said "hey give these a shot a treadmill, i'll tape your foot strike etc etc"  i felt embarassed but i did it.

i ended up walking out with a brand new pair of newton's.  THEY ARE EXPENSIVE.  mine were actually 190 since they are little different model.  I will gladly say i don't hve the running experience or the sport experience like the IM guys here or the coaches.  its my 2nd season and i am 5 races deep but i can say this.  THERE IS NO OTHER SHOE that feels this good to me. 

i feel faster and my feet don't hurt.  I bought them for races only but its been hard not to use them on practice runs.  it seems like my foot strike has improved over the 50 or so miles i have ran in them.  even running in my nikes a 4 mile run would be a painful experience now is much more comfortable.

if you have a chance to try them at the store that carries them even for a couple of minutes you will be able to see the difference.  its hard to justify 175 price tag for a shoe that is yellow & orange and has a very strange looking sole.  takes at least 1-2 runs to get used to them. 

also like bryan said i actually notice hill work isn't so brutal in them.  i don't know why. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoe's Rss Feed  

of 4