Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » New Balance Half Iron...CHANGE TO BIKE COURSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-04 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: New Balance Half Iron...CHANGE TO BIKE COURSE

I just checked my e-mail, and there is a message regarding the New Balance half Iron.  They have changed the bike course...and made it 10K shorter!

Now, I never thought that I would complain about something being shorter but I am kinda choked.  This was going to be my very first half ironman and now it won't truely be a "half ironman".  Call me crazy.  It would be like signing up for a marathon, training your guts out for it and the find out two weeks before the race that the course changes and will be 10K shorter.

I completely understand the reasoning behind it(traffic, marshalling) and the job of a race director is no easy task.  You can't make everyone happy all of the time.  Oh well.  This newbie will try to make the most of it and have fun!

2007-06-04 7:17 PM
in reply to: #829549

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: New Balance Half Iron...CHANGE TO BIKE COURSE
Heather , with 1/2 a course, you should ride 1/2 a bike, like a unicycle! That is too bad, they aren't going to make 2 laps of the route!?
2007-06-04 7:26 PM
in reply to: #829557

User image

Veteran

hazmaster - 2007-06-04 5:17 PM Heather , with 1/2 a course, you should ride 1/2 a bike, like a unicycle! That is too bad, they aren't going to make 2 laps of the route!?

lol   Yup, the course is now two LONG loops, instead of the three shorter loops in the middle.  What's funny is that I rode the coure with some friends aigain yesterday and after we started the second loop I kept thinking "this is better than having to do the first part of the ride again".  Ooo could I have brought this on?  tee hee

I wonder if there will be any others that will be disappointed about the changes.

2007-06-04 7:39 PM

User image

Funny, I commented in my blog about this as soon as I got the email.

Personally, I'm not choked, as I am on a relay team.  11.8 less km's?  WOO HOO! 

That said, I totally understand that there will be a LOT of people who are pissed off about it.  It was ALMOST a half iron race before (bike was a bit longer, run was a bit shorter, just about equalling things out).. but now it's not.  We'll have to see what kind of fallout there is.  A move like this so close to the race day could be a BIG problem for the organizers for future years to come. 

Shrug.  I'm just hoping it's a nice day.

2007-06-04 7:45 PM
in reply to: #829584

User image

Veteran
Vaiza - 2007-06-04 5:39 PM

We'll have to see what kind of fallout there is.  A move like this so close to the race day could be a BIG problem for the organizers for future years to come. 

Good point.  With the addition of two new half ironman races here on the Island, it could hurt them next year.  Especially if those new races aer given IM qualifying spots too.

If we have weather like yesterday, it will help to smooth thngs over   Sunshine tends to make most people smile!

2007-06-04 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Yeah, I am choked about the change as are a couple of my friends doing this race. Having said that though, I do understand the necessity of change, but it's too bad as the course was great as it was. Oh well, it will still be a good day.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » New Balance Half Iron...CHANGE TO BIKE COURSE Rss Feed