United States
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 26m 28s
Overall Rank = 50/127
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Stayed out way too late last night so only had 5 hours of sleep. Had a Luna bar, which made me nauseous. Was about recovered and back to normal by race time, though.
Event warmup:

Ran up and down the driveway a few times before we left (the whole family did this one). Didn't stretch as much as I should have.
Run
  • 26m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I am thrilled with this. I knew that I'd been underperforming in my recent races (mostly due to other factors, like illness), so I was ready for a great race. This exceeded my expectations by far. The only glitch was that I went the wrong way - a sign fell down and a whole group of us (maybe everyone?) kinda cut it short a block. But I checked it out on USATF's mapping feature and it still seemed to be the right distance, so I'm considering my time valid. If it was short, it wasn't by much.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I'd do anything differently. I ran this really well. Can't complain about taking two minutes off my time. That's awesome. I'd have loved time clocks at the mile marks so I knew how I was doing at the time, but on second thought, it might've psyched me out to see that I was going so fast!
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around, checked out the results, re-checked the race map and figured out I'd made that wrong turn (or missed the right turn, really).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing! This was spot on for the shape I'm in right now. It matches up well with my training.

Event comments:

This was a pretty nice race overall. It was very small because this is the first year it's being held. They seemed to have plenty of volunteers, water stations were good, everything was well organized. The post-race activities weren't much to write home about, but that's because they're just starting out. My big complaint is that they started the awards before everyone was done. Having finished last in that tri last weekend, I'm now very sensitive to this. It would be better sportsmanship to wait, and if the winners can't stick around to pick up their prizes, so be it. But they'll learn for next year, I'm sure.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:28 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 50/127
Performance: Good
My first mile must've been just under 8 minutes, although I'm not sure since the mile points were not marked.
Course: Fairly flat, on roads through a very nice town. They incorporated two parks into the run as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes