General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Topeka Tinman
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep very well the night before this race and ended up just getting up around 4:15, before my alarm because I couldn't stand being in bed anymore. I loaded up the car, made a mini-bagel w/ peanut butter to eat, and drove to the course. Got there just before 6:00 and went to set up my transistion area. I saw Amelia (ameliawilson), who was also flying solo that day, so I set up my transition next to her, and we hung out until it was time to go.
Event warmup:

None really... I think of the swim as my warmup.
Swim
  • 17m 17s
  • 1006 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm pretty sure they had to have messed up the timing and/or length on this, because I do not swim this fast. This is like my sprinting pace, and I was definitely not swimming like that. In fact, I felt really slow, like I was in the very back of the pack. I did pass a lot of people at the beginning, but that's because I started too far back.
I felt like I had no technique- I could almost feel my legs sinking... and I tried to fix that, but I still didn't feel very strong out there.
What would you do differently?:

I say this every time, but I need to seed myself more aggressively. It's hard to get around all the people in the back.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

T1 was ok. I could've been faster, but I had to make sure I dried my feet and put lots of bodyglide on them. I've been getting blisters on my toes, and did not want to have to deal with those during the race. I saw Lisa (lisac957) when I was running out of transition and that was cool, since I was there on my own.

not have blisters
Bike
  • 1h 05m 33s
  • 19.71 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was a lot hillier than I expected. I mapped it out beforehand, and it didn't appear very hilly at all, so I was in for a surprise. Some of the hills were tough too! What also made it worse was that when Dave put loctite on my shifter screw the night before, he took the component off completely and somehow put it back on incorrectly, so that my three inside gears on the rear chainring were unavailable. That was weird... I couldn't figure out why they weren't working until we talked later that day. Oh well... I still did ok.

The roads were really annoying though. Only maybe 2 miles were smooth pavement. The rest of the course was rough, and there was a lot of vibration.

The best part was that I got to practice my nutrition for the HIM. I had water in my aero bottle, & a regular bottle of Gatorade Endurance. I took an Endurlyte around mile 15 and a HammerGel at mile 16 or so. I think those must have helped since I felt pretty good for the rest of the race.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Again, this could've been much faster, but I changed socks and put a ton more bodyglide on my toes. I'm glad I took the time to do that, though, because I didn't have any problems with blisters or rubbing, like I had earlier in the week.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 08m 40s
  • 7.4 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off really slow - I was afraid of hurting my foot again. As the run went on and I had confidence that my foot/arch would hold out, I picked up the pace a litte. I think I probably ran the last couple miles sub-9s, but can't know for sure. I really enjoyed this course - the park is beautiful and there were lots of people out (fishing, cycling, walking dogs, etc). The run was long & it was hot out, but I was able to run the whole thing (except for stopping to retie a shoelace in the first mile). I felt really strong the whole time actually, and I think having the gel & endurlyte on the bike must have helped.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Just hung out with other BTers, had a piece of pizza and some Gatorade. Went to the awards ceremony and I was really surprised when they called out my name for 2nd place in my AG. I was not expecting that at all, but it was a nice surprise. The downer is that I found out later there was a problem with one of the timing mats and apparently some chips were not registering between a certain time period. So there is a chance that I didn't really earn that award, which really sucks. I don't know how many people would have been affected by this. The event company is going to add people's estimated times in to the official results, so we'll see what ends up happening. Still, I am really excited about my finishing time. My original goal was just to do this in under 3 hours, and I smashed that!

I also discovered that although I thought I hydrated enough, I probably didn't. I got a headache within a few hours of the race ending, and still have it now, 32 hours, two naps, one full night of sleep, and many ibuprofen later. The only thing I can think of that would be causing this is dehydration. So that is a good lesson learned before the HIM!

Event comments:

Everything about this race was top-notch, except for the timing chip issues, which unfortunately is a huge problem. There were a ton of volunteers and they all did a great job - the course set-up and organization was good, and I had a really fun time overall.

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:17 | 1006 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:33 | 19.71 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:08:40 | 07.4 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: counter-clockwise trail around Lake Shawnee
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course

2007-06-17 8:20 PM
in reply to: #847814

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course
Congrats on a great race Linda!!! You did really awesome. And that bike!!! Hills, missing gears, rough roads. You're such a strong rider. Bummer about the timing thing though.

Great job!!
2007-06-17 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)

we need to talk about Endurolytes when I get back, and also about using something like Perpeteum instead of the Endurolytes when you do Racine.  Also we need to do some 50 milers on the weekend in July.

But gosh girl.... you really came through on this one.  I've been bragging you on the Tour all day long

2007-06-18 10:10 AM

User image

Awesome Job Linda! I'm sure the swim times are pretty close to acutal  and I know you deserve that 2nd place finish.  You are definitely ready for your half IM!
2007-06-18 11:47 AM

User image

New user

Great job, Linda!!!!!!!! Sounds like you finished super fast and had some icky situations. I'm sorry I missed you again. I know we'll meet soon!
Congratulations again!
2007-06-19 10:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I forgot to tell you again... CONGRATULATIONS on your AG placing! You did awesome and it was great to finally meet you.

See ya at the next one!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed