United States
Team Snow Valley
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 09m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Men Cat 5 ITT
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Rode down to Glenn's house (the Davis International Triathlon Headquarters) and rode down to the race with the man, the myth, the LEGEND. It's amazing to me how low my stress level and excitement are for single sport events. Makes me realize how much I love triathlons!
Event warmup:

4 mile easy spin from registration to the race start. On the way, Z5 asked me what my strategy was - I had no idea! Having never done a cycling only event I had no idea what to expect or what to do. I figured I'd start easy and build into it. Other than that I was clueless!

The 20 minutes waiting for my 8:59:30 start went by quickly watching all the mute roadies pedaling around. I saw a guy I know that rides for ABRT that was starting 1:30 behind me and traded hellos. (he blew by me at mile 5!)
Bike
  • 1h 09m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

It was really kind of cool going off on a time trial start - I've never done that before. Getting in line and watching people go off at 30 second intervals made the time fly. Someone had missed their start ahead of me so they slipped her in front of me. Next thing I know I'm on the bike being held up by the starter and the timing chick says "get ready, I'm going to start you down and dirty". What the heck does that mean??? I guess it had something to do with the fact that I was started only 15 seconds behind the chick that just went off but I really don't know. Overall, I started hard and rode hard the entire time. My HR was >170 within the first minute and I never looked back. My legs felt good so I decided to just listen to my body and go as hard as I could. I passed a couple people and got passed by a few but held my own (I thought). Smithville Rd was tough into a slight headwind, but overall I thought the wind didn't hurt the pace much. I hammered home up Rt. 16 and once I hit Brooks Rd I gave it all I had and finished the last two miles over 25mph. My watch and bike computer both said 1:09:14 (21.5 mph) when I crossed, but they had me almost exactly 30 seconds slower. I think they made a mistake, but it wouldn't have changed anything in the results. I'd still like credit for 21.5 though - sounds better than 21.3. : )
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't change anything. This was the best I had today. I'm not fast, but this was a really good effort - as you can see by the HR data. Within a minute of crossing the line my legs felt good and I was thinking I could probably run after this effort. Makes me wonder if I dog it too much in triathlons?
Post race
Warm down:

I rode back to the start tent to get my backpack, laid my bike on the grass, got my pack and by the time I got back on my bike the rear tire was flat. Not a single pound of air. Weird. Glad it didn't happen in the race! I changed the tube and couldn't find a reason for the flat. Rode 3 miles down to my brother's house and cheered people in while I waited for Glenn to come through. Saw three guys drafting so blatently it made me sick. I guess there are cheaters in every sport.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg strength.

Event comments:

Well organized race but roadies aren't the friendliest bunch. As much as I like post race activities and food I don't think I would have enjoyed chatting with these people. I'll definitely do this one again in the future though.

Last updated: 2007-06-17 12:00 AM
Biking
01:09:42 | 24.85 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Avg HR: 172 Max HR: 188
Wind: Little
Course: Loop. Golden Hill, then some road I don't know the name of that takes you down to Smithville Rd., then Rt 16 back to Church Creek.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-24 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Church Creek Time Trial - 40K

2007-06-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #857408

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Church Creek Time Trial - 40K
Great race and report! I will try to do this one with you next year!
2007-06-24 3:27 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
nice job Dave. Way to mix it up with those roadies!
2007-06-25 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

Nice job! 188?! Get the defibrillator.  13/20 is pretty damn respectable - those guys were serious.

Great to hang with you, as always. Glad neither of us had to do it solo. Very interesting day. Bring your trainer next time, eh?

2007-06-25 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice riding Way to hang in there with the super speedy bunch. 

Maybe one of the snooty roadies didn't like the fact a "tri guy" was invading their space and let the air out of your tire!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Church Creek Time Trial - 40K Rss Feed