South Wood County YMCA
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 35s
Overall Rank = 149/194
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 15/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0445. Pack, make oatmeal and do the 2 hour drive.Stop off and see gram prior to race.
Event warmup:

Minimal. A small run to find a bathroom that was open. Som esplashing in the lake to get used to water temp. Which was quite tolerable.
Swim
  • 12m 22s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Either because this year was bright sun or I wore different goggles, the morning sun coming off of the water surface seemed to be at exactly the right angle to make it hard to see anything. Water and the course were FABULOUS though. The day was beautiful.

Feel comfortable in the water. Can't quite seem to find my rhythm. Breathing feels good when I am crawling, if I pause or look up then breathing is real ragged. Don't feel like I am working hard when I am in the crawl but when I stop and breast stroke I am always surprised at how hard I am breathing. Question is - why do I stop?
What would you do differently?:

Find a way to train that gets me feeling good in the first 1/4 mile instead of the last 1/4 mile. Lose 40 pounds. Train more. This is not rocket science. If I can take care of basics the rest will come along too.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

Way way way too long. Four minutes is faster than last year though. Dry feet, put on socks. I've got everything set up including a chair so I don't have to hop and balance. And I still have these outrageous T1 times. No wetsuit to take off...this is the lamest part of my effort.

No socks I suppose, no sun hat under helmet although both are fast to put on.
Run harder from water up to the area.
Bike
  • 44m 15s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a great course. Flat as you can make it, although it sure felt like I was going uphill on the way out. There was a slight headwind as well. On the way back had the tailwind and I could swear it felt like more downhill. Way back was much faster. This has to be head games though. The course is in the middle of some of the flattest country I have ever been in. Driving the course in a car and you would feel or see no up or down.

Lose 40 pounds so I don't have so much lard ass to haul around. Find a higher head space plane and stay there. Pay more attention to breathing rate. I think I could have gone harder for longer periods. never really went into O2 debt or anything like that. Given the weight support that biking offers me, I should have been stark raving nuts with exertion on the bike leg, as it gives me the best chance to perform and make up time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Fairly fast. Better than last year.

AM satisfied with this transition. Maybe put fast clips on laces so no need for tying.
Run
  • 39m 54s
  • 3.7 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Maybe I was hot at this point? Still walked a bit too much. Don't have the spring in my step. Not warmed up. Unhappy with my race pace. Just don't feel right whether bc of coming off of bike or whatever. Try harder.

Need to toughen up and use my head to push through the urge not to run or to walk. Have to toughen up. Lose 40 pounds of lard ass would help too.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to leave fairly soon. Missed the post race stuff. Bummed me out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm getting a bit disgusted at my performance. I have more in the tank but I'm not giving it or delivering it. "Over-ride function" is still too strong and it says stop and walk waaaaay too much. I need to be more on fire and push harder.

Losing more weight is increasingly a huge factor. I have the muscle and the coordination. I know I can go fast, I just don't do it. Gravity certainly plays a part of this.

Event comments:

This remains my favorite course. One that I will do every year for a long time to come I hope. The area is beautiful. Adjacent campground is the nicest I have found in the entire state so far. This place rocks and this course rocks! Course is just right and for me provides the challenge of showing a year over year improvement.

Last updated: 2007-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:22 | 440 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 0/194
Performance: Average
13/18 Last year was faster to my surprise. Last year was 13/15. I really need to get my head in the game and go harder. Announced temp was 64. It did not feel this cold.
Suit: none
Course: Parallel to shore, east to west on the first leg, around the buoy and then west to east back to the exit point.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:15 | 14.2 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/18
Results have me at 19.7. Don't see where the discrepancy is coming from. Again faster than last year. So some improvement. This year 11/18 - 44:15. Last year 11/15 - 47:30.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:54 | 03.7 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/18
16/18
Course: Great course. Fairly flat. Lots of shade. Ample water stations, although at such as short distance probably could do with less.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes