Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Swimming in Lake Ontario? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-30 7:58 PM

Regular
, British Columbia
Subject: Swimming in Lake Ontario?
Is swimming in lake Ontario "safe" or what's the problem with swimming in it? I know there are races in lake Ontario but do any groups train for open water swims in it?

2007-07-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: #867403

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming in Lake Ontario?

I swam in Lake Ontario a couple of times last year. It was safe. I swam out at Cherry Beach. There is a web site that shows the quality of the water as it tested each day:

http://www.toronto.ca/beach/index.htm

I had no problems last year. Once you get passed the fact is is cold and looks nasty in places and a bit "squelchy" underfoot. It's a good place to practice as the chop can be a little more that some lakes.

2007-07-03 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec

Yes, most of the time it is safe and tested regularly.  Good Link Above.

You can also swim at Hanlan's Point on the Island, if you can get over the unclothed group.  Appartently it is the cleanest beach due to its location.   The lake never gets over 21 C and is at its max temp now.  A wetsuit is a good idea.

2008-03-26 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Great Lakes water quality varies week to week and region to region. Local information souces will post things like E.coli counts, and lost of dead fish are a bad sign. The only other problems I have run into is places where there is a lot of under tow activity. I have swam in L. Ontario, L.Erie and L.Huron on a number of occassions.

Granted, I have been swimming in the Detroit River for most of my life, so I am probably more toxic than most things in the water.
2008-04-06 11:06 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
There is a group that swims out of eastern Toronto. So yeah.. pretty safe

That being said, heed the bacteria levels - not sure where they are on the internet, but they're there. The readings on the internet lag the true readings by 2-3 days, so keep an eye out for when the waves have turned up soil, when heavy rain tracts some farming pollutants into the water, and when the water is too still to recycle it. Two sides of the coin are that I've heard doctor advice that as long as you don't swallow, or let it in your ears you're fine.... but then again I've gotten sick when I thought I was invincible. There will be those days where you will want to go for a swim even when you shouldn't. If you do choose to go out, swim out decently far from the shore, and you'll be better off.

Happy swimming!
2008-04-14 7:47 PM

Our tri group swam in Lake Ontario out of Grimsby last year. It was sooo cold! And it can be quite choppy. It is tested for bacteria levels regularly. None of us got sick.
I considered myself diehard and dedicated after those swims!

2008-04-17 10:55 AM

User image

New user

London, Ontario

Has anyone here done the Toronto Island tri?  What was that swim like?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I had just registered for this year's race.

Thanks!

Dave

2008-04-17 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1344656

User image

Veteran

I signed up for it last year and due to the cold water they cancelled the swim and turned it into a Du. The day before the lake was perfect, then overnight there was high winds and the cold water from the bottom was churned to the top and the water ended up at about 55degrees. The elites went in and out of 20, 5 had problems due to the cold so they decided, for safety, to cancel the swim. As they said, they wouldn't be able to handle the number of problems had they let everyone swim.

Other than that was a good race, however you have to share the bike route and run route with pedestrians and other island "tourists". Could be a little dangerous. Not a venue for a PB I don't think.

2008-04-18 11:18 AM

Niagara, Ontario
I'm not sure about groups training in Lake Ontario, but, as others have said, swimming in it depends on the time of year and current lake conditions.

For the Niagara area, beach info is available at:
http://geosmartniagara.ca/beachmonitor/Default.aspx

Another cool link that I came across last year was for the latest surface water temperatures for Lake Ontario:
http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twoontarios.html

Happy swimming!
2008-04-20 7:32 AM

User image

Regular
Ontario

Lake Ontario would probably be the worst because of the direction of water flow through the lakes.  The is bad stuff everywhere, and although day and time of year are a factor, so is the cumulative downstream effect.

2008-06-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1344656

User image

Master
TORONTO
dave12 - 2008-04-17 11:55 AM

Has anyone here done the Toronto Island tri? What was that swim like? Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I had just registered for this year's race.

Thanks!

Dave

I haven't registered but plan on doing the Toronto tri. It would be my first and I'm nervous as HELL!! My training has slipped but I figure I've 10 weeks to get back on track and ready for this. I'm hoping to practice the open water swim in the lake at some point this summer. I read that wetsuits are mandatory for this one yet last year's swim was cxl'd.

Is this your first tri too?

Marcia

2008-06-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1444179

User image

New user

London, Ontario

Marcia,

I have been racing for about 9 years, and have done the Niagara tri 3 times (the swim is in Lake Ontario on the shores of Grimsby).  From this experience I know that the conditions in the lake are unpredictable and usually COLD.

For the Toronto race, please wear a full wetsuit - especially if you are new to this race.  A wetsuit will not only give you the termal protection you need, but will make you more buoyant in the water.  This adds to your overall confidence and safety during the swim.

All the best during your training, and I hope we will somehow meet up in August!

Dave

2008-06-04 3:27 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

I still have to explore the whole wet suit thing and hope to find a place nearby where I can rent one and try it out.  Anything that will help make me faster and keep me afloat will be appreciated!!

You can say "hi" as you speed on by - I'll be the one *dying* on the run portion... cursing that she can't wear her iPod during the run!!  

2008-06-04 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1445456

User image

New user

London, Ontario

Check out Swim & Sports.  I rented from them when I was living in the Toronto area.  Excellent products and service.  I've included their info below:

Swim & Sports - 905-602-9159
5484 Tomken Road , Mississauga , ON L4W 2Z6

2008-06-04 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1445567

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Swimming in Lake Ontario? Rss Feed